Highlighted
Valued Contributor

FINALLY GOT MY Lantus pen!!!!

[ Edited ]

It took many weeks to get my Lantus pen!!!!! In the mean time I wasn't using anything, the tresiba made me sick...I was so sick and weak and really didn't think I would make it! Finally today my doctor ordered it and I picked it up today!...just took the first dose,  18 units! My lst blood sugar reading this morning...was 184....most of the Blood Sugar readings were about the same. I will never understand why she didn't prescribe the Lantus sooner! My son said when I run out, we'll get a new doctor!!! AMEN!!!!! 

Trusted Contributor

Re: FINALLY GOT MY Lantus pen!!!!

Glad to,hear the pen is useful. May I suggest you use the abbreviation BG, for Blood Glucose if you want to refer to your sugar levels or readings.

BP for blood pressure, BG for blood glucose.

BS is something else altogether,  and generally not common usage in medical terms...

Esteemed Contributor

@emmygrace wrote:

It took many weeks to get my Lantus pen!!!!! In the mean time I wasn't using anything, the tresiba made me sick...I was so sick and weak and really didn't think I would make it! Finally today my doctor ordered it and I picked it up today!...just took the first dose,  18 units! My lst blood sugar reading this morning...was 184....most of the BS readings were about the same. I will understand why she didn't prescribe the Lantus sooner! My son said when I run out, we'll get a new doctor!!! AMEN!!!!! 

What a relief that must be, I'm glad you were able to get it. 

Honored Contributor

@emmygrace wrote:

It took many weeks to get my Lantus pen!!!!! In the mean time I wasn't using anything, the tresiba made me sick...I was so sick and weak and really didn't think I would make it! Finally today my doctor ordered it and I picked it up today!...just took the first dose,  18 units! My lst blood sugar reading this morning...was 184....most of the Blood Sugar readings were about the same. I will never understand why she didn't prescribe the Lantus sooner! My son said when I run out, we'll get a new doctor!!! AMEN!!!!! 

@emmygrace 

Don't wait until you run out to change doctors.  That is something to plan ahead on so you get a good one. The next one might not be any better, so you might have to go to another one, but do it before you need refills. 

Honored Contributor

@emmygrace 

I've used Lantus insulin for about 9 years.  I can forget to take my insulin before bed and not have a reading as high as 184.   

18 units is virtually nothing, and in my opinion is no where near the amount of insulin to handle readings in the range of 150-200.   

I don't think you need a new Dr.   I think you need to increase your insulin, chart the affect on your glucose levels, and when you find the amount of Lantus that is keeping your morning readings under at least 140, let your Dr know.  

Respected Contributor

Glad this is working for you. 

My BF lost 3/4 of his pancreas after two gallbladder attacks.  The best thing he did was to start seeing an endocrinologist and diabetes educator.  They got him started on a Libre meter and a V-Go for administration of insulin. 

He is still trying to work out the insurance for the V-Go...$835 per month if insurance doesn't cover it.  He will go back to injection if that's the case as $835 a month for the V-G0 and $100 for the insulin to load the device.  The Libre is about $75/month. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RedTop wrote:

@emmygrace 

I've used Lantus insulin for about 9 years.  I can forget to take my insulin before bed and not have a reading as high as 184.   

18 units is virtually nothing, and in my opinion is no where near the amount of insulin to handle readings in the range of 150-200.   

I don't think you need a new Dr.   I think you need to increase your insulin, chart the affect on your glucose levels, and when you find the amount of Lantus that is keeping your morning readings under at least 140, let your Dr know.  

I take 18 units of Lantus at bedtime and this morning my BS number was 91!!! I'm a happy camper! Woman Very Happy The problem?? My blood glucose monitor wasn't working!!!!! Tried the new one I got yesterday..worked like a charm! Has anyone else noticed this??

Valued Contributor

@cindyNC wrote:

My BF lost 3/4 of his pancreas after two gallbladder attacks.  The best thing he did was to start seeing an endocrinologist and diabetes educator.  They got him started on a Libre meter and a V-Go for administration of insulin. 

He is still trying to work out the insurance for the V-Go...$835 per month if insurance doesn't cover it.  He will go back to injection if that's the case as $835 a month for the V-G0 and $100 for the insulin to load the device.  The Libre is about $75/month. 

See if you can get the patient assistance program~

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@emmygrace wrote:

@cindyNC wrote:

See if you can get the patient assistance program~

I looked at the test strips and they have expiration dates...the blood glucose monitors have batteries that may have expired! I was never told about this!