Respected Contributor

Re: FDA temporarily halts use of Johnson & Johnson vaccine due to rare blood clotting issues

This is just the hills and valleys of emotions in the age of covid.  Last week I was happy DS and new DIL got their J&Js.  Now this news today.  We need to muck through this, though.  No choice.

Honored Contributor

Re: FDA temporarily halts use of Johnson & Johnson vaccine due to rare blood clotting issues

My sister in law got the Johnson & Johnson vaccine last week.  She got it at a mass vaccination site (a stadium) They use it there, because only one shot was needed.  Millions have taken it without any side effects. 

Respected Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

My 1st reaction to seeing this was it makes me mad.

Because when several sites in different states halted the use of J&J because of dozens of people getting sick, some hospitalized, due to dizziness and nausea, the CDC director said it was still safe to get this vaccine while they were investigating!

No! If there is any doubt, or any fraction of people who had this same result, then halt it until it is safe.

And that is the reason why so many not only are cautious about every other vaccine or preventative shot because of these adverse reactions and also some additives that should not be there in the first place.(not saying this about the covd vaccines however but all vaccines).

And yes, as others have stated, you don't care how miniscule a percent is affected if it is you or your child or someone you care about.

Now the FDA halts it? They should have done this when there were any doubts at all!

@on the bay, this is a joint decision between the CDC and the FDA.   The CDC wants the Advisory Committee of Immunization Practices to meet and review the data for their collective analysis of these 6 cases.  The ACIP is really a branch of the CDC.  They are to meet tomorrow to start to review  analyze the data.   The FDA will then review their data as well as collect some of their own data.  

The CDC also wanted to pause vaccination with Johnson and Johnson to have time to get word disseminated to health care providers so that they were advised for other potential patients that might report with certain issues.  Since they have now been advised, they should be more than aware of how to work up those potential individuals to evaluate them for thrombocytopenia.  That is not necessarily a PCP would think of evaluating unless they are made aware of the problem. 

The system is working just as it should.  They are not halting it until further review because of those general reactions that happened at other clinics, but on the reports of the 6 women that developed certain clotting issues associated with thrombocytopenia.   

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

The CDC and FDA are recommending a pause just to ensure the safety of the vaccine.  The few reactions to it seem to be pretty severe.  Every state/county can continue to administer it if they choose to.  Our county sent out a notice that they would pause it just to be safe and because they have enough Pfizer and Moderna doses to vaccinate everyone who wants to be vaccinated.  

THe J&J vaccine is a blessing for those areas that don't have the ability to store the vaccine at the required temperature and in rural areas where it's hard to get people in for a second dose.  Those areas of the country may decide to continue it.

@NicksmomESQ Chances are good that your family won't have a reaction to it, especially your son, but I understand your concern.  

Honored Contributor

I'm not surprised .... these vaccines were rushed through waaaay too quickly.   

Yes, there was pressure to produce a vaccine, but I doubt this is the last of the problems that will come out.  JMO

Trusted Contributor

To everyone that is afraid, please take into consideration that they have NOT, I repeat NOT proven the JJ shot is in fact THE cause of these clots.  I'm sure that there will be those that say "But they all had the shot" sure, but that is 6 out of 6.8 million.  There are other things that have not been found yet that they could also have in common.

6 people die out of 6.8 million, all are female, how many were using drugs that have blood clotting as a side effect?   Good grief based on these 6 women out of 6.8 million vaccinations we should also never go outside again since there is a higher likelihood (1 in 500k) of getting hit by lightening.  We should all hope down the road that they don't have a commercial that starts with “Have you or a loved one been permanently injured from the side effects of the Covid-19 vaccine? You may be entitled to substantial compensation!"   . 

They have stated that this reaction is an extremely "rare" occurrence, pretty obvious from the less than zero number of people who have had this occur in ratio to the number of those that got the shot.   It's entirely possible the shot they had might have nothing to do with what happened to them.  It could be these women might have had an extremely rare reaction to the needle used.   Over 10% of the US population has a nickle allergy.less than 0.05% has a severe nickle allergy that can result in thrombosis. (Localized blood clots at sight of exposure, particularly from sub-dermal exposure.)   Usually this is a not a big issue for those who receive injections most needles are low nickle content, they even make special needles for those with a severe nickle allergy.   Inexpensive needles often have much higher nickle concentrations than more expensive ones.

The cheap needles used by mass injection sites due to logistics, are of a lower quality. Both due to costs and supply constraints of vaccinating an entire population of individuals across the world. During testing of new drugs ultra-LOW nickle content high grade needles are ALWAYS used to not cause false symptoms from the common Nickle allergy. However when a vaccine is distributed locals are responsible for securing the logistics for the needles. This can lead to un-intended consequences.

It is entirely predictable that vaccinating millions of people will result in minor, moderate, and severe reactions to low grade needles.  People almost always blame the vaccine, but the reality is needles are more likely the culprit. Especially since supply issues due to covid have resulted in cheaper, high nickle content needles being used in the USA.   I will wait until the final result is known.  For now I am not worried.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

If J&J was all I could get I would get it. I have already been vaccinated but I would do it no question. It affected 6 women out of 6 million.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It won't affect the availability of the other vaccines.  Pharmacies will still get them.  Just not the Johnson & Johnson type.  My sister in law that got the Johnson & Johnson one is fine.  Her side effects were like the Moderna, etc.  She got this almost 2 weeks ago.  And she's back at work (she's the one that's a lawyer)    The news rattled me obviously because I developed a blood clot during my car accident.  They caught it right away (it was under my arm!)   They gave me medicine (guessing a blood thinner) and I was fine after that.  Never had to take thinner again.  But it still makes me nervous getting my vaccine next week.  I talked to my doctor yesterday and I feel better about taking the vaccine.  He was vaccinated (along with many doctors) back in January and his is perfectly fine.  He got Moderna also.

Esteemed Contributor

@eadu4 wrote:

To everyone that is afraid, please take into consideration that they have NOT, I repeat NOT proven the JJ shot is in fact THE cause of these clots.  I'm sure that there will be those that say "But they all had the shot" sure, but that is 6 out of 6.8 million.  There are other things that have not been found yet that they could also have in common.

6 people die out of 6.8 million, all are female, how many were using drugs that have blood clotting as a side effect?   Good grief based on these 6 women out of 6.8 million vaccinations we should also never go outside again since there is a higher likelihood (1 in 500k) of getting hit by lightening.  We should all hope down the road that they don't have a commercial that starts with “Have you or a loved one been permanently injured from the side effects of the Covid-19 vaccine? You may be entitled to substantial compensation!"   . 

They have stated that this reaction is an extremely "rare" occurrence, pretty obvious from the less than zero number of people who have had this occur in ratio to the number of those that got the shot.   It's entirely possible the shot they had might have nothing to do with what happened to them.  It could be these women might have had an extremely rare reaction to the needle used.   Over 10% of the US population has a nickle allergy.less than 0.05% has a severe nickle allergy that can result in thrombosis. (Localized blood clots at sight of exposure, particularly from sub-dermal exposure.)   Usually this is a not a big issue for those who receive injections most needles are low nickle content, they even make special needles for those with a severe nickle allergy.   Inexpensive needles often have much higher nickle concentrations than more expensive ones.

The cheap needles used by mass injection sites due to logistics, are of a lower quality. Both due to costs and supply constraints of vaccinating an entire population of individuals across the world. During testing of new drugs ultra-LOW nickle content high grade needles are ALWAYS used to not cause false symptoms from the common Nickle allergy. However when a vaccine is distributed locals are responsible for securing the logistics for the needles. This can lead to un-intended consequences.

It is entirely predictable that vaccinating millions of people will result in minor, moderate, and severe reactions to low grade needles.  People almost always blame the vaccine, but the reality is needles are more likely the culprit. Especially since supply issues due to covid have resulted in cheaper, high nickle content needles being used in the USA.   I will wait until the final result is known.  For now I am not worried.  

FYI: These clots are in the brain and are considered rare.  

Esteemed Contributor

@eadu4 wrote:

Just one correction...last I heard 1 person had passed away, 1 was still in hospital other 4 treated and released.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.