Esteemed Contributor

Re: FDA temporarily halts use of Johnson & Johnson vaccine due to rare blood clotting issues

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@Bhvbum wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

My son & his wife got the J & J vaccine this past Saturday. I'm a nervous wreck.

Millions have gotten this Vac safely, why are you a "nervous wreck" ??  Many more folks have died this past year from simply taking plain aspirin. 

@Bhvbum  Everything is relative & I'm worried about my kids.The vaccine may be safe for most. But if my kids are of the few that develop that reaction,the general safety of the vaccine won't matter to me! That's why!

@NicksmomESQ, As a mother and a grandmother, I completely 

understand your worry.  Some people don’t understand that 

“it’s part of the job description.”  I am hoping all will be well with your son and his wife.

My GS of 13 was schooled at home this entire year.  Now with the variants hitting younger and younger people, I am hopeful that Pfizer will have completed their studies on his age group, and that he can be vaccinated this fall.  His little sister of 8 will likely have to wait until the end of this year or the start of next.  Am I worried?  Oh yes.

Respected Contributor

Re: FDA temporarily halts use of Johnson & Johnson vaccine due to rare blood clotting issues

[ Edited ]

Meanwhile, the AstraZeneca COVID inoculation's causal connection to blood clots has been established in a Medscape article entitled: "AZ COVID Vaccine: Causal Link to Severe Thrombosis Established":

". . .these unusual severe thrombotic events that are accompanied by thrombocytopenia are caused by rogue antibodies directed against platelet factor 4 (PF4), which causes massive platelet aggregation and thrombosis, and results in a reduced platelet count elsewhere, leading in turn to bleeding. Patients can therefore have both severe thrombosis and severe bleeding.
The syndrome is very similar to the well-known condition of heparin-induced thrombocytopenia (HIT) and is diagnosed and treated in the same way, with the administration of intravenous immunoglobulins (IVIG) and anticoagulants. The syndrome associated with the vaccine has been named vaccine-induced immune thrombotic thrombocytopenia (VITT).
At a press briefing on his study, lead author of the German-led paper, Andreas Greinacher, MD, head of the Institute of Immunology and Transfusion Medicine, University Hospital Greifswald, Germany, said: "There is clear evidence that there is a very close link to this severe thrombotic complication and the AstraZeneca vaccine. There is clear causality between the pathogenic antibody and the thrombotic complications, and we have found this antibody in many people who have developed these complications after the AstraZeneca vaccine.""

So, if the thromboses now seen after injecting the similarly formulated Johnson & Johnson COVID inoculations (chimpanzee adenovirus vector surrounding the DNA payload) are found to have the same biological cause, there will be a causal connection established from the J&J shot as well.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My sister-in-law got it 2 & 1/2 weeks ago.  She got it at a mass vaccination site.  (a stadium)  She stayed in her car.  Apparently they used Johnson & Johnson because of the one shot for vaccinations at arenas, etc.  They have plenty of the other vaccines to cover who ever wants them. 

She's not too worried.  6 cases out of over a million is pretty good odds.  Mine is Moderma and I'm getting my first shot next week.  A nice addition is that the pharmacy (Rite Aid) is a block away from my house.  

I don't know what vaccine they used for Israel, but their population is more then half vaccinated and they are beginning to enter herd immunity.  That means that enough people are vaccinated that will prevent others that are not from getting it.  For the past 8 days in a row, zero cases of anyone getting COVID or dying from it.  That is the goal for our country.  News like this not going to help it.  My brother in law absolutely refuses to be vaccinated.  Despite this I'm optimistic this will be over by the end of 2022 in to 2023.

Back in 2015 I was in a very bad car accident and wound up in shock trauma.  I developed a blood clot under my arm pit.  They detected and gave me blood thinner.  I was able to stop using the medicine after I was released.  Obviously, I'm a little worried....even though I'm getting the Moderna. I spoke to my doctor after getting the vaccine appointment and he told me not to worry about it.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@songbird  Israel has Pfizer.

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

@MarieIG wrote:

@songbird  Israel has Pfizer.

I guess I'm getting the wrong vaccine?

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@songbird  Moderna is very similar to Pfizer..  IMO, Pfizer has some wonderful data though, due to it coming out early and it being used in Israel. 

If you are at all uncomfortable about Pfizer vs. Moderna - do not hestitate to call your doctor to discuss. 

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

@MarieIG wrote:

@songbird  Moderna is also good - very similar to Pfizer..  IMO, Pfizer has some wonderful data though, due to it coming out early and it being used in Israel. 

I have to take what they give me.  They had been dispensing both.  Just my luck, it will be Moderna.  As per Johnson & Johnson, my sister in law is still just fine. She didn't even have any side effects. I've heard both Moderna & Pfizer are very effective

Trusted Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@MarieIG wrote:

@songbird  Moderna is also good - very similar to Pfizer..  IMO, Pfizer has some wonderful data though, due to it coming out early and it being used in Israel. 

I have to take what they give me.  They had been dispensing both.  Just my luck, it will be Moderna.  As per Johnson & Johnson, my sister in law is still just fine. She didn't even have any side effects. I've heard both Moderna & Pfizer are very effective

I did reseach on all three available vaccines; and came to the conclusion that I would accept either Pfizer or Moderna.  I posted as much back on 3/3.  I had eliminated J&J based on the data, but it wasn't as if I didn't have an alternative.  

Do the math.