Honored Contributor

Re: FDA temporarily halts use of Johnson & Johnson vaccine due to rare blood clotting issues

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain wrote:

@on the bay wrote:

@Jersey Born

that is something I hadn't thought of with the J&J but it was made differently from the moderna and pfizer. Lots of scientific explanations but I did feel ok with those (and I'm skeptical of everything!).

And I guess too for me I'd rather try anything then possibly get covd.

But I do not necessarily trust the CDC nor the FDA.They do change and do withhold things or conversely,

not let people know soon enough about possible dangers for so many drugs as we have seen so many recalls.

Still I am glad I got the pfizer.

Without the FDA there would be no recalls at all. Complete wild west. And no medicine would be safe. Without the CDC we wouldn't have heard from any authority at all about the importance of masking or social distancing.

Our health agencies are not perfect, but they are all we've got.

@Porcelain,

I know this is true, I guess I have just been more impressed with how they regulate and don't allow so many things in Europe that our FDA does allow-makeup, food, drugs. And also release things deemed safe that it takes the FDA so long, or allowing generics to hit the market etc.

I find I don't trust their motivations and if they have so much presure from drug companies and on and on.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Re: FDA temporarily halts use of Johnson & Johnson vaccine due to rare blood clotting issues

@on the bay wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Without the FDA there would be no recalls at all. Complete wild west. And no medicine would be safe. Without the CDC we wouldn't have heard from any authority at all about the importance of masking or social distancing.

Our health agencies are not perfect, but they are all we've got.

@Porcelain,

I know this is true, I guess I have just been more impressed with how they regulate and don't allow so many things in Europe that our FDA does allow-makeup, food, drugs. And also release things deemd safe that it takes the FDA so long, or allowing generics to hit the market etc.

I find I don't trust their motivations and if they have so much presure from drug companies and on and on.

If we lived in Europe we would be out of luck right now. They are having a heck of a time getting access to vaccines. The US has so much of the high quality supply.

And the Astra Zeneca vaccine they planned on using in Europe is having far worse problems than the J&J shot.

We would still be walking around risking Covid and waiting and hoping for the EU to make the right deals to bring in the vaccines for us to take. But at least more people would be following guidelines and masks would not be considered such a big deal.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@Bhvbum wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

My son & his wife got the J & J vaccine this past Saturday. I'm a nervous wreck.

Millions have gotten this Vac safely, why are you a "nervous wreck" ??  Many more folks have died this past year from simply taking plain aspirin. 

@Bhvbum  Everything is relative & I'm worried about my kids.The vaccine may be safe for most. But if my kids are of the few that develop that reaction,the general safety of the vaccine won't matter to me! 

Children are not getting this vaccine and the only events were 6 women out of over 6 million J&J doses given.  So that is 1 in 1,000,000.  Did you know if you take birth control pills blood clots are have been reported in 1 in 1000?  Can you imagine if they threaten to take birth control pills and any other hormone treatment drugs off the market because of blood clots?  There is some real discussion that this is a "pause" that never should have happened.

Honored Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@Bhvbum wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

My son & his wife got the J & J vaccine this past Saturday. I'm a nervous wreck.

Millions have gotten this Vac safely, why are you a "nervous wreck" ??  Many more folks have died this past year from simply taking plain aspirin. 

@Bhvbum  Everything is relative & I'm worried about my kids.The vaccine may be safe for most. But if my kids are of the few that develop that reaction,the general safety of the vaccine won't matter to me! 

Children are not getting this vaccine and the only events were 6 women out of over 6 million J&J doses given.  So that is 1 in 1,000,000.  Did you know if you take birth control pills blood clots are have been reported in 1 in 1000?  Can you imagine if they threaten to take birth control pills and any other hormone treatment drugs off the market because of blood clots?  There is some real discussion that this is a "pause" that never should have happened.

Also, the six people who experienced blod clots were all women between 18 and 48. So they could very well have been taking birth control pills that caused their reactions  unrelated to the vaccine.

Out of 7 million people getting the J&J accine, every possible thing is going to happen to someone. Our data is so precise these days and delivered so quickly, we aren't equipped to process it. We all still have our stone-age reactions to everything.

"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain ,

I know that is true. I guess no country gets it perfect.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy,

You are right, they are facts. Still I think it is concerning and I guess I would be if someone I knew got the J&J too. I hope! it is just conicidence.

But then why so many problems with this one and not the other 2.

Anyway, I appreciate everyones comments because I think we are all trying to gather as much accurate info as possible including the ones making and distributing the vaccines.

It is an unprecedented time for sure.

Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@Bhvbum wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@Bhvbum wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

Also, the six people who experienced blod clots were all women between 18 and 48. So they could very well have been taking birth control pills that caused their reactions  unrelated to the vaccine.

Out of 7 million people getting the J&J accine, every possible thing is going to happen to someone. Our data is so precise these days and delivered so quickly, we aren't equipped to process it. We all still have our stone-age reactions to everything.

@Porcelain  @Bhvbum  If I choose to worry about my son & daughter-in-law having a dangerous reaction to the J & J vaccine,that is my choice as a mother. You can mention every medical statistic you can think of I'm still going to worry about them. Yes, I know about the horrors of Covid. I've been affected by it personally.I still don't want my much loved kids to be among the few that develop blood clots.Like every good mother I worry about the health & safety of my kids,period.

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@Porcelain  @Bhvbum  If I choose to worry about my son & daughter-in-law having a dangerous reaction to the J & J vaccine,that is my choice as a mother. You can mention every medical statistic you can think of I'm still going to worry about them. Yes, I know about the horrors of Covid. I've been affected by it personally.I still don't want my much loved kids to be among the few that develop blood clots.Like every good mother I worry about the health & safety of my kids,period.

I wouldn't ever tell a mother not to worry about her kids. That's part of the job. You don't want anything to happen to your son!

That makes perfect sense to me. We are always on the lookout for threats to those we love and should not feel the need to explain or apologize for caring that much.

I tell the people I love to, "Drive Safely," whenever we say goodbye -- for a reason. I don't care about traffic statistics when I say that and I am not going to stop saying it.

Respected Contributor

Like many people, I find this news a bit concerning on the one hand, and not so much on the other (at least not until we have more information).  As others have said, 6 in 7 million is a miniscule amount, but it's good it's being investigated and we should know what may be the cause.

Also, let's remember that any time you take any prescription medication, you get warnings of potential side effects, some of which are scary and can be severe.  Yet we still take those medications.  Usually the percentage that effects is very tiny but they are obligated to let us know (because who knows who may have those effects).  Perhaps this will be similar.  But I suspect they are going to find some correlation between the J&J and either some other condition or other drug use.  We shall see...

Super Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@Bhvbum wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

-----------------------------

@Bhvbum @NicksmomESQ 

This may help add perspective.  And the J&J is even less chance and lower % than AstraZenica

May be an image of text that says 'AstraZeneca Vaccine Risk of Blood Clots Birth Control Pill Smoking COVID Infection cases in 1,000,000 Vaccines 0.0004% G8100 500- 12:00 cases n 1,000,000 women 0.05% to 0.12% 1,763 cases in 1,000,000 Smokers 165,000 cases in 1,000,000 Cases 0.18% 16.5%'

The former and current and still "MrsSweetieBear".