Honored Contributor

Re: FDA approves stomach-draining obesity treatment

Watch My 600 Lb Life on TLC a few times.  You may totally change your mind, or you may reinforce your original beliefs.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@silver fox wrote:

The University of British Columbia in Canada has discovered an "obesity gene". When they remove (or treat it) in mice, they can feed them the same amount of food as usual but they know longer gain weight, so give it a few more years and obesity will be a thing of the past. Hope springs eternal !    

I will stick to eating the right foods in the right quantities, and continuous regular exercising to choose what weight I want to be at a specific time. 

Too many are waiting for the pill/drink or any other magic/quick way to ditch weight they may have added for various reasons.

I doubt they trace the genetic ancestry of mice to know their genetics, but hey, I am not a mouse expert.There are long proven ways for almost anyone to lose fat weight, and in a healthy way.

Unfortunately one cannot add pounds of fat tissue over many years, and really think they can lose that fat in a few days or a week. We live in a world surrounded by "instant everything", but losing fat tissue weight is not one of them. Stick to the long proven/healthy and safe method of fat loss, and forget the magic/quick routes.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

They are still looking for unhealthy money-making ideas instead of paying attention to the scientifically proven causes of and treatment of weight gain. 

Honored Contributor

Wouldn't an obese person just feel hungry again?  

Honored Contributor

I choose being fat over that gizmo.  It's disgusting and It looks complicated to use and I am sure their will be a high percentage of complications.  And just as some people who have WLS learn to "eat around" the surgery and thwart any weightloss or regain the weight they did lose.  I can forsee that people wom't want to deal with the ickiness of this machine and won't use it consistently and won't actually lose weight.   But, please let's get off the "learning" part.  The LEARNING to eat better and maintain a weight lost comes AFTER one has lost weight.  Morbidly obese people aren't like the person who wants to lose 20 or 30lbs.  It's totally different.  They need to do something drastic to lose weight and I suppose this thing was developed for morbidly obese who don't want to have WLS or can't have it.  I just don't think it's a workable solution. 

Honored Contributor

@silver fox wrote:

@violann wrote:

Obesity is such a complex and multi-sided problem that I've usually been able to find positives in most weight loss schemes, since I firmly believe that one size (approach) doesn't fit all.

HOWEVER- I really cannot see any positive benefit to this approach, and it is on a short list of devices medications, ec. that I can honestly say I would never be open to trying.

It really is for all intents and purposes "legal" bulimia. I'll be reading more about it, but I can't imagine learning something about it that would cause me to think differently.

The University of British Columbia in Canada has discovered an "obesity gene". When they remove (or treat it) in mice, they can feed them the same amount of food as usual but they know longer gain weight, so give it a few more years and obesity will be a thing of the past. Hope springs eternal !    

That research is in it's early stages but obesity is not going anywhere anytime soon, if ever.  First of all, only small minoity of people are obese due to a genetic condition.  And they don't "remove" genes.  The goal is to develop medications that "turn off" a gene.  Most people are obese for non genetic reasons and some (like myself) are obese for unknown reasons.  The science of bariatrics is very complicated and constrantly changing.  There never will be a silver bullet when it comes to weight loss.

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

Wouldn't an obese person just feel hungry again?  

Bingo!   And they won't like the unpleasantness of the thing and they won't be able to use it everywhere and if the hunger becomes too much for them, they won't use consistently.  I'm not a doctor and I can see the pitfalls....

Honored Contributor

The FDA will approve anything it thinks will make billions.  I wonder what their "user fees" were.

People will die from using this product.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

The FDA will approve anything it thinks will make billions.  I wonder what their "user fees" were.

People will die from using this product.

Yes, a bit of Payola  no doubt!

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@silver fox wrote:

@violann wrote:

Obesity is such a complex and multi-sided problem that I've usually been able to find positives in most weight loss schemes, since I firmly believe that one size (approach) doesn't fit all.

HOWEVER- I really cannot see any positive benefit to this approach, and it is on a short list of devices medications, ec. that I can honestly say I would never be open to trying.

It really is for all intents and purposes "legal" bulimia. I'll be reading more about it, but I can't imagine learning something about it that would cause me to think differently.

That research is in it's early stages but obesity is not going anywhere anytime soon, if ever.  First of all, only small minoity of people are obese due to a genetic condition.  And they don't "remove" genes.  The goal is to develop medications that "turn off" a gene.  Most people are obese for non genetic reasons and some (like myself) are obese for unknown reasons.  The science of bariatrics is very complicated and constrantly changing.  There never will be a silver bullet when it comes to weight loss.

Obesity is not genetic.
Never has been.
Never will be.

At one point in life, an obese person was normal weight.

I guarantee if said obese person is put on a medically-supervised in-patient juice/water fast for any length of time...3-7-14-21-30+ days...they would lose weight.  It's all about the food., not a gene.