Valued Contributor

Re: FDA approved a new opioid drug

Pain, CHRONIC INTRACTABLE PAIN is NOT always subjective!

There are many many medical tests that can verify the intensity and severity of a patients pain.

Many are invasive radiographic tests. Such as a Discogram, to medically substantiate severe back pain; among many other procedures & tests. There are several tests to verify severe M.S. pain, & on & on!

Please research this topic before making so many blanket statements as you have in your posts. 

I wish you knowledge & peace. 

Esteemed Contributor

I am literally fed up to my eyeballs and may just throw up before I complete this written piece, as I am THAT disgusted with all of the responses regarding "regular folks''" abuse of opioids.

People, please educate yourselves!  The huge crisis out there is on the streets!!!!!!  The cartels are manufacturing them in Mexico, smuggling them across the border, they then make their way to distributors and then the people and kids on the street who sell them. 

What happens next?   ODs.  Death.  More Death.  Tens of thousands of deaths.  This is not a fairy tale, it's occurring as I'm writing this.

Yes, there are abuses bertween patient and physician.  Any physician who writes an rx for 120 Percoset should be turned into his state's AMA.

I have 7 chronic pain issues.  Every day is a miserable day.  In my state, the government decided that I, that's right "ME," should not ever contribute to the nation's opioid crisis, do I live on the streets and buy illegal drugs - no, and so I'm allowed only 1 oxycodone per day.  I cannot take NSAIDS and am allergic to Tylenol and 6 other heavy duty pain killers.  So...it's one per day.

My life is lousy when I have only one pain pill to take on a day when I have pain expressions which are especially high.

So, don't talk to me about any opioid crisis.  At least half of it is manufactured.

This past week - FINALLY - read a very comprehensive article which was a summary report from a committee in D.C..  People are beginning to realize that people like me are getting the short end of the stick by having been folded in with drug addicts, experimenting teens, you name it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sfnative wrote:

I am literally fed up to my eyeballs and may just throw up before I complete this written piece, as I am THAT disgusted with all of the responses regarding "regular folks''" abuse of opioids.

People, please educate yourselves!  The huge crisis out there is on the streets!!!!!!  The cartels are manufacturing them in Mexico, smuggling them across the border, they then make their way to distributors and then the people and kids on the street who sell them. 

What happens next?   ODs.  Death.  More Death.  Tens of thousands of deaths.  This is not a fairy tale, it's occurring as I'm writing this.

Yes, there are abuses bertween patient and physician.  Any physician who writes an rx for 120 Percoset should be turned into his state's AMA.

I have 7 chronic pain issues.  Every day is a miserable day.  In my state, the government decided that I, that's right "ME," should not ever contribute to the nation's opioid crisis, do I live on the streets and buy illegal drugs - no, and so I'm allowed only 1 oxycodone per day.  I cannot take NSAIDS and am allergic to Tylenol and 6 other heavy duty pain killers.  So...it's one per day.

My life is lousy when I have only one pain pill to take on a day when I have pain expressions which are especially high.

So, don't talk to me about any opioid crisis.  At least half of it is manufactured.

This past week - FINALLY - read a very comprehensive article which was a summary report from a committee in D.C..  People are beginning to realize that people like me are getting the short end of the stick by having been folded in with drug addicts, experimenting teens, you name it.

@sfnative, I knew something was wrong when I was having a heart attack and had to literally beg for a pain reliever. The reason I was told was because of the opiate crisis they were giving less pain medication. Sad state of affairs...

Esteemed Contributor

Oregon does NOT limit ANYONE to "one pill a day".  Physicians and pharmacies are required to register rxs in a database to limit abuse.  Physicians are also asked to evaluate dosing escalations for chronic pain.

I live here and have severe chronic pain which is being well managed by a multi-discipline chronic pain clinic headed by a pain management MD.  I have never had a problem getting all I need in a hospital setting.  I am on Medicare these are covered services.

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

@sfnative, I knew something was wrong when I was having a heart attack and had to literally beg for a pain reliever. The reason I was told was because of the opiate crisis they were giving less pain medication. Sad state of affairs...

@Trinity11

It's been years since I worked trauma, but MS, morphine sulfate, was typically pushed IV for cardiac patients such as yourself.  I'm so sorry you had to suffer.

This reminds me SO much of the late 70s and 80s.  I was working a Med-Surg floor where we had our share of end-stage cancer patients, with few physicians willing to rx these patients with pain medication to make their last days comfortable!!!  It pained me to come to work every day and see my patients suffering in such agony and I could do so little to affect any change for them.  Every single one of those docs used the same lame excuse they're using now: beyond disgusting - morally and ethically absent of any sign of humanity.