Honored Contributor

FDA Updated list of Hand Sanitizers You Should Avoid.

I thought this was important as some of the brands list the alcohol as Ethanol and isopropyl alcohol on the label...., but used  instead the toxic methanol.

https://www.insider.com/fda-warns-consumers-poisonous-chemical-methanol-hand-sanitizer-2020-6

Honored Contributor

Re: FDA Updated list of Hand Sanitizers You Should Avoid.

@SeaMaiden - I read this earlier today and checked out the link you provided.  The hand sanitizers I've bought weren't on the list.

Then coincidentally this evening, I was watching "ABC World News Tonight" and right near the end, they mentioned it, saying about 30 sanitizers had been added to the recall.  I was thinking it was probably the same list, then I heard the brand name BLUMEN.  Talk about a red flag!

I immediately checked the hand sanitizer I got online through Sam's Club because that was the brand and I'd never heard of it before I ordered it there.

Sure enough, the one I have is on the list; made in Mexico and sold here.  I will be returning it to Sam's during the week for a refund.  Thankfully, I had not had cause to use it yet.  (And perhaps I shouldn't say it, but leave it to Mexico to export dangerous products!  They don't seem to have many safety controls in place.  I had no way of knowing that's where it had been manufactured, as it wasn't listed in the online description.)

It's a shame that we have to be so vigilant, when all we're trying to do is follow health guidelines and protect ourselves.

Valued Contributor

Thanks for posting this.

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln
Super Contributor

@Venezia Thanks for mentioning BLUMEN!  I am tossing the set I ordered from BJs!  Now off to find some sanitizer that is hopefully safe.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good to know.

Thanks.

"Staying safe by staying home"

~Put food in front of me, and I will eat it.~

2431001A-D478-4F7C-88CC-113D62BD9D41.gif

Honored Contributor

@lizzys - You should return it and get a refund, since it's been recalled.  I know that's not convenient for everyone, but we shouldn't lose money on these defective products.

I didn't even realize that BJs sold it; the only place I could find it (or any sanitizer) was on Sam's Club.  I know I won't have any issue returning it to them.  And they also need to be made aware of the recall.

Honored Contributor

Just an update to my previous posts.  I took the Blumen hand sanitizer back to Sam's Club this morning and didn't even have to explain.  As soon as the clerk saw it, she said "Yes, we have to recall this."

Thank you to @SeaMaiden for posting about this.  I could easily have missed the updated information otherwise.

Honored Contributor

Spoiler
I looked at the list and it shows the Assured brand as being one to avoid,,,I think it was sold at Dollar Tree. The same company in Mexico makes lots of these but they are sold under many different brands. It pays to read the label very carefully before using any even you already had them on hand before the pandemic hit.
Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

Just an update to my previous posts.  I took the Blumen hand sanitizer back to Sam's Club this morning and didn't even have to explain.  As soon as the clerk saw it, she said "Yes, we have to recall this."

Thank you to @SeaMaiden for posting about this.  I could easily have missed the updated information otherwise.

@Venezia  I am so glad you did not use it! Terrible that the labels are incorrect. Wonder how many people are using the bad product...not knowing😧 need more news coverage on this!