Honored Contributor

Ordering glasses online is tempting but I've never understood who does the measurements and ensures the fit is good?  Who do you go to if service is needed in the future?

Honored Contributor

I have a small face and there is something odd about the way even a great prescription works on me that takes some adjustment--even my ophthalmologist says that only 2 or 3 of her patients are this way--that I'd never be able to just type in my numbers.  It just doesn't work out that way for me.

And it is very difficult that find frames for smaller faces--and it's either Kate Spade or Coach for me for a really good fit, and only some of their frames. 

My husband gets glasses and they always work and most fit.  

Super Contributor

You all have brought up many things to consider.  In re-thinking this, yes the prism is the most important because I only have double vision at distance, not close.  So that means the lense has to really be carefully ground.  Thank you all.  I guess the money aspect isnt the qualifying part.

Esteemed Contributor

After my cataract surgeries I ordered from Zenni since they offered bifocal readers with individual PD.  

You do need to have ALL your fitting numbers from older glasses for a good fit.

But I have to say, I used to have quite the rx and would have not gone this route with my old eyes.  I hear you about the expense.

Esteemed Contributor

I have ordered several dozen pair of glasses from Zenni over last fifteen years (for me and DH).  I've only had two problems over the years (one pair I just didn't like and the second was when ophthalmologist clerk wrote prescription transposed some numbers).  The PD isn't a problem (that's measured during exam; you just have to ask for it) or you can measure it yourself with a ruler.  I go to where I have my eye exam to have glasses adjusted (I am their patient).  I have found that I do better with glasses without nose pads (The other frame measurements are always the same as what I've worn before).  I found out about Zenni from LA Times business section and also that's where Clark Howard gets his glasses.

Trusted Contributor

@lilypadfrog wrote:

Oh my goodness... I have been paying 450 - 600 for mine depending on whether I get a frame.  I have progressives, transition lenses and prisms to correct double vision.

Thank you, I will check out Zenni

@lilypadfrog 

Zenni fills prescriptions with prism correction in single-vision lenses only.

Honored Contributor

I have always tried on backup glasses.  Some were so heavy I couldn't breathe comfortably. 

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG :  Zenni provides what each frame weighs.