Honored Contributor

I am 66 and still dont wear glasses, my opthamologist says i am 20/40 but says I dont need glasses. Only the cheap drug store reading glasses.

Honored Contributor
Could be your eyes are 20/20 with correction. Depends on how they write it.
Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo There are lots of cases where cataract surgeries are done years apart.  Sometimes there are medical issues and sometimes one eye develops a cataract long before the other one.  

And sometimes other issues intervene. 

Honored Contributor

DH had both eyes done last year, and no longer needs glasses except for the lowest number in readers for fine print.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Allegheny wrote:

@phoenixbrd  "I was told the multi-focus lens is a higher risk surgery than the cataract so I assumed there was just a removal of the cataract rather than a lens replacement."

Gee I am wonder who told you that.  As another poster explained when the cataract removal surgery takes place a lens is placed while you still under sedation.

The type of lens available is what differs.  This decision has to be made before surgery and is discussed with the patient prior.  Whether basic or premium multi focal both are prescription.

In my situation I would have loved to have the multi focal lens, but because of previous eye surgeries I was not a candidate.  With the standard lens implants my distance vision is now 20/20 in one eye and 20/40 in the other.  I still must wear readers.  If I was able to get the multi-focus lens I may not have needed to wear readers.

Just a note:  Not all people have their cataracts removed consecutively.  (Meaning one eye done, then the other eye two weeks later.)  I had my worst eye done, then two years later the other eye was done.  My surgeon favored this practice and I agreed with her.

I had a cataract removed from my right eye around 10 years ago.  My left eye never had any surgery.

@Carmie  That is correct.  Sometimes a cataract may only develop in one  eye.  In my case, I did have in both eyes for several years.  One cataract developed more rapidly, so I had that one done first.  Two years later my surgeon consented to doing the other eye.

Respected Contributor

Re: Eye exam question....

[ Edited ]

@Scooby Doo   Everyone is different.  After my first cataract was removed, I was given a new prescription for glasses.  I chose not to fill it because I was able to function pretty well with my old glasses.  I wore them when driving, but around the house since I now had 20/20 vision in one eye I didn't wear my glasses.  When doing close work I used readers.

Edited:  At my most recent appointment I told them I was getting tired of this reader situation; having to take them on and off.  I always have a pair of readers on top of my head So they gave me a new prescription for progressive lenses.

Regular Contributor

I have 20/20, but I still need my 150 readers.

Honored Contributor

Glad for this thread.....reminds me I need to set up an appointment. I'm to the point, for some strange reason, that I don't need the contact for my right eye. I'm seeing great in that one. So I've been wearing one contact for a few months. When I get home from work, I just take the contact out. Have never liked to have contacts in all day long, just when I'm at work.

Trusted Contributor

At my last eye exam I was told I have the beginnings of glaucoma. It really scared me, as don’t we value our sight almost over everything? I immediately went into a search what could be done to slow this down. Unfortunately, there’s not a lot out there on this subject. I upped all my eye vitamins and am taking a higher amount of vitamin C for inflammation.  I also see Life Extension has some things for eyes, including a product called Eye Pressure Support that I’m going to look into. 

Our eyesight is such a precious gift!