Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66Maybe your retina condition would have some effect on cararact surgery, but let's assume it doesn't because if that's true, the cataract surgery is a piece of cake in comparison.  I had one eye done 14 years ago -  all I remember is a bit of pressure, no pain.  Having #2 done in October. 

Only issue is keeping track of all the paperwork and the eye drops required to ward off any infection. 

@bootsanneI also have floaters but mine come and go.  Not to worry say my doctors.

Esteemed Contributor

I have one floater that's been there for years, don't even notice it anymore, until times like now when the subject comes up. I also from time to time get little flashing ziggy zaggy white lines, like teeny tiny lightning bolts that don't last for more than a few minutes. I can still see when I get those but they are annoying.

Esteemed Contributor

I have them.  It's been a few years.  Of all the annoying things that have happened to my body, this I really don't even think about.

I couldn't say whether they get better or worse.  I don't notice - I guess I'm used to it.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Carmie I know totally what you're saying about boo hooing too much because it might scare someone off who needs to get it done.  I TRY hard not to do that about anything that's ever happened to me (i.e. double knee replacement, and bla bla).

But you know, I have to admit that it's nice when someone else agrees about the pain because other than that one thing, I can withstand a lot of pain.  

Even now talking about it, I feel like such a baby...but anyway, thanks for the "I understand your pain" kind of thing...makes me feel better.

Valued Contributor

@Annabellethecat66@Carmie  I don't know about your eye problem but can only imagine how awful.  My husband had MD in his right eye that requires a shot every 10 weeks.  The anxiety on that day actually sickens me.  I don't know how he goes through it.  I would also need general anesthesia to get through any kind of eye treatment.  They can cut me up or shoot me up anywhere on this old body, but when it comes to  my eyes, I'm squeamish.

Respected Contributor

So sorry for your eye 👁 troubles. My mom had all kinds of retina, cornea and glaucoma, cataract issues.

She had constant infections. Very hard to take.

I had a virulent infection in my tear duct that was torture, surgery immediately cured it and eliminated the pain.

Sending you positive energy and  thoughts.

Honored Contributor

I had floaters in both eyes after my Macular Hole surgeries.  I was lucky because my eye doctor told me some people get them after that type of surgery.

I am embarressed to say that when the floaters first appeared, I thought my walls were being invaded by an army of ants & spiders. Smiley LOL

Took about a month for the ants & spiders to "disappear."

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

I've got floaters.  Have had them for decades.  My eye doctor checks my eyes once a year.  That's it.

Ask your eye doctor whether or not they'll worsen or whether or not you'll get additional ones.

Honored Contributor

@bootsanne Thank you for your kind words.  I know a tiny bit about getting shots in the eye because my best friend's husband has to get them.

It has something to do with his diabetes.  I don't understand it, but it's terrible!

A lot of things are all about getting old(er).  Our bodies break down, part of living life....

I know quite a few people who had cataract surgery. They all said if you follow directions afterward, not much to it.

I think a lot of people (myself included) are sensitive when it comes to eye 'stuff'....understandable.

I can't think of one thing that's good about getting old(er)...Ha!

I'm still waiting for the 'wisdom' that one is supposed to have when getting old....(so do you get a shot for it?  Is it beamed into our heads?  When does it happen?)

My brain keeps saying, "You're not old"!  But my body says, "Hold on a minute....wait!  I can't do that".  

Honored Contributor

I’ve had a floater in my right eye for 3 years.   It drove me crazy at first, but my mind has adjusted, and I forget it’s even there.   

Floaters just happen, they are not connected to BP or diabetes.