Respected Contributor

There is a procedure called floater only vitrectomy (FOV) that is done to remove floaters. The fluid in your eye is basically drained and replaced with a sterile solution that your eye replaces with natural vitreous fluid within a few days.  By draining the fluid in your eyeball, they take all the floaters out with it.  I'm having my left eye (the worst by far) done next Thursday.  Depending on how that goes, I may get the second eye done but this one has fewer floaters and I could live with it the way it is if the surgery is more than I'm prepared to go through a second time.  Btw, medical insurance covers this procedure.

Respected Contributor

Re: Eye Floaters

[ Edited ]

@CLEM wrote:

@lulu1  Thank you for the info on your eye floaters and I am looking forward to at least getting the thing minimized.  How long after the first surgery did you have the second?   That is good news that the second one was easier.   I didn't think mine was particularly difficult, but I seem to be rather tired in the afternoon today.  It's only been two days though.   I was told that my cataract was particularly big.

Good luck with your checkup.

@CLEM

I had my second eye done 2 weeks after the first.  For awhile I needed a chart to make sure I was putting the correct amount of the various drops in my eyes.

Good luck....it is so worth it.Heart

Respected Contributor

@lulu1  I had the first eye done on October 3.  The second one will probably get done next week (two weeks later).

Those eye drops are quite a job with one eye.  Hopefully the number of drops I need to put in the first eye will decrease a bit by next week?????  At the times I have to put more than 1 drop in at once, I set my kitchen timer for 10 minutes for the next drop.

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

There is a procedure called floater only vitrectomy (FOV) that is done to remove floaters. The fluid in your eye is basically drained and replaced with a sterile solution that your eye replaces with natural vitreous fluid within a few days.  By draining the fluid in your eyeball, they take all the floaters out with it.  I'm having my left eye (the worst by far) done next Thursday.  Depending on how that goes, I may get the second eye done but this one has fewer floaters and I could live with it the way it is if the surgery is more than I'm prepared to go through a second time.  Btw, medical insurance covers this procedure.

I wish you the best @Texasmouse. Thanks for posting the info about that kind of surgery. I never heard about it before.