Honored Contributor

Re: . Extra-Depressing New Study Links Carbs to Lung Cancer

There are a few problems with this study:

(1). The participants were all non Hispanic whites

(2).  The study relied on retrospective self reports of what people ate. It's hard to remember what you ate. This leads to inaccuracies.

(3).  The subjects that were recently diagnosed with cancer might have taken the questions more seriously than the subjects without cancer. 

(4).  There was no control for diabetes. This illness was not questioned about and was not factored in the results.

Honored Contributor

What has been intersting to me since I was diagnosed diabetic about 9 years ago now has been the fact that after the first six months of no sugar and no simple carbs, I do NOT miss them.  Prior to that I was wild for sugar!  I ate ok but give me the candy, cake and icing off the cake.... then I craved more!  That is totally gone.  Even if I have a tiny taste now it's "Uh ok", and a shoulder shrug.  I don't miss it and even if everyone is eating it and I don't I really don't care!  I have my complex carbs and count how much per meal so i don't go over the allowed portion for the day.  Like counting calories it becomes second nature after awhile.  

While I found this study interesting, I really don't put much stock into it.... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HappyDaze wrote:

Everything in MODERATION, that is the key.

@HappyDaze  actually that is  not accurate. With say Transfats even a tiny small amount can be  bad for you.  No moderation is OK with them.

Once you give yourself license to eat anything “in moderation,” it easily turns into license to eat anything, and call it moderation. The word has become an excuse, a way to say , I’m going to eat whatever I want”—all while smugly proclaiming that you live by simple, folksy advice and don’t have to worry about the latest in nutrition science.

The junk food companies love the concept of “moderation”.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lung cancer does no just stem from being a smoker .

There are many other contributing factors, like living and working with, or just being around a smoker and inhaling their second hand smoke, and that can also result in lung cancer.

Cancer is also a pollution issue, an environmental issue, and also an ozone depletion global continued problematic issue. 

Breast cancer is a disease in which certain cells in the breast become abnormal and multiply uncontrollably to form a tumor.

"Although breast cancer is much more common in women, this form of cancer can also develop in men".

Inherited Cancer Syndromes.

About 5 percent to 10 percent of all cancer cases occur in someone who inherited a genetic mutation that increases cancer risk.

No one really knows why one person will get cancer but another will not in over 60 percent of all types of cancer. It's a ancient disease that crosses all borders of the world, male, female, all races and socio-economic groups.

"There is no known cause . . there are, however, associated risks . . people who smoke are at a higher rate for lung cancer and some other cancer types, people with heavy sun exposure run the risk of skin cancer, and a few types of cancer can be linked to a family history of the disease".

But for every associated risk there are many exceptions .

"People who do not smoke can still get lung cancer, people can get skin cancer in spots never exposed to the sun . . people can smoke all their lives, and never get cancer" . 

So . .despite all the observations and opinions you might hear . . there really is no single known reason to explain cancer in every case.

Now seems carb heavy foods can be added to the Cancer list....

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden

I don't think this news is "extra" depressing .... it's pretty common knowledge.  

Respected Contributor

Q4U, I have experienced the same thing you have, and it wasn't just sweets, it was also breads an pasta. The only carb I ever truly miss is.....fudge.....any flavor.....I keep hoping that should I suffer a hypoglycemic episode, I will have fudge around....it hasn't happened yet! My indulgence is a square or two of Lindt 90% cocoa chocolate: bring on the antioxidants!

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

I truly believe if we stopped eating everything they said was bad for us, there would be nothing left to eat.  Enjoy your carbs - life's short!

You have a good point, but what annoys me the most is how often information comes out after these studies reversing everything they claimed.  For some odd reason there are people who's goal in life is to make the rest of us scared of our own shadow.  It's disgusting, but thank goodness that some of us have common sense that kicks in, and the rest of us never even heard about the study.  LOL  The dumbing down of America continues.