Honored Contributor

Re: Experts Say That Six Feet Is Not Far Enough To Stop COVID-19 From Spreading

I think 6' is a practical, if imperfect, distance.  Of course, staying a mile away from others would be better.

Esteemed Contributor

Everyone is an expert these days........

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Everyone is an expert these days.......

My dear Mother was named Daisy.  

p.s. you life depends on you knowing how to keep yourself safe.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Then why has basic common sense been replaced by every "expert" on the Internet as the final word? 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Bhvbum wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Then why has basic common sense been replaced by every "expert" on the Internet as the final word? 

@CrazyDaisy the only expert I listen to is the CDC & NIH - and the governors who base their decisions on the FACTS.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynut wrote:

@SeaMaiden 

I have seen/heard anywhere from 6' to 30', wonder if they measure this in an airless booth or in the Nascar Wind Tunnel? Who knows thry may come up half a mile apart soon. Of course that depends on the heat and especially the humidity. Like to see the Protocol they use for measuring these things, or wonder if they even have one!

hckynut

@hckynut  there hasn't been a pandemic like this in our lifetime, there is no history to follow. The distance is based on prior health emergiencies like SARS - and hopefully this will be a learning tool to make things better for the future. Considering the unknown factor-  since they said 6 ft , I've been adhering to 6 ft plus. 

Honored Contributor

This is some info on face shields... not proven yet that they prevent people wearing just a shield  with the virus from spreading the virus. Here is where a mask with the shield would be best for now.

To be most effective in stopping viral spread, a face shield should extend to below the chin. It should also cover the ears and "there should be no exposed gap between the forehead and the shield's headpiece,"

Shields have a number of advantages over masks, they added. First of all, they are endlessly reusable, simply requiring cleaning with soap and water or common disinfectants. Shields are usually more comfortable to wear than masks, and they form a barrier that keeps people from easily touching their own faces.

When speaking, people sometimes pull down a mask to make things easier—but that isn't necessary with a face shield. And "the use of a face shield is also a reminder to maintain social distancing, but allows visibility of facial expressions and lip movements for speech perception," the authors pointed out.

And what about the ability of a face shield to prevent coronavirus transmission?

According to the Iowa team, large-scale studies haven't yet been conducted. But "in a simulation study, face shields were shown to reduce immediate viral exposure by 96% when worn by a simulated health care worker within 18 inches of a cough."

"When the study was repeated at the currently recommended physical distancing distance of 6 feet, face shields reduced inhaled virus by 92%," the authors said.

No studies have yet been conducted to see how well face shields help keep exhaled or coughed virus from spreading outwards from an infected wearer, Perencevich and his colleagues said, and they hope that studies on that issue will be conducted.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

ibb38, Chris Cuomo was in the same living area, yes the basement, but still, sharing many things. Read Jeanbhv's response to latest COVID19 update.

Respected Contributor

@bmorechick wrote:

@on the bay wrote:

@bmorechick -

I don't know that the shields look stupid but I don't care. Based on a posters recommendation here, I did order 4 from Amazon-one for me and 2 for my daughters and one for my sil.

They won't wear them but I will!

I do think they cover more, including your eyes. I also think they are easier to breathe in. Maybe people will get used to them too.

My nurse daughter thinks they won't protect as well, only if you wear a mask with it.

i think they do cause they cover the eyes.

@on the bay Yes I saw them on amazon and im considering ordering them. I would wear them too. I get hot in the mask and need cool air!  My nurse daughter said try wearing an n95 all day with eye goggles that dig into your face and then tell me how hot you are, lol. And yes she agreed they are much more effective with a mask, but for general folks, the shield does cover a good portion of the face. Continue to stay safe...

On Amazon most of the people have masks on under the shield so that concerns me. 

Respected Contributor

A face shield has an open bottom. No reason viral particles cannot enter.  A mask is sealed around the nose and chin. I would think a face shield is meant to be used WITH a mask, primarily for health care workers as an extra layer of protection.