Honored Contributor

Experts Say That Six Feet Is Not Far Enough To Stop COVID-19 From Spreading

Respected Contributor

Re: Experts Say That Six Feet Is Not Far Enough To Stop COVID-19 From Spreading

A lot of new information is coming out now that they have been able to study how this virus spreads. The virus trackers have taken actual cases and followed them through to see exactly who ended up getting sick whether it was in a restaurant, choir practice, or a call center. We always thought the grocery stores would be a problem, but it's actually the churches. 

Folks are usually in and out of the grocery pretty quickly, with little interaction, and grocery stores are fairly open spaces.

A church, singing spreads more virus, more time is spent there, the place is enclosed, more socializing. 

So it's distance, time spent there, interaction with others, and airflow with being outside the best.  Call centers are also in the high spread category because people are close together talking on phones all day.

Respected Contributor

Was in my local grocery store today..noticed a LOT of the employees have replaced their masks with face shields. I asked the cashier was it mandatory. She said nope we had an option and the shield is so much more comfortable than the mask. She said she takes it home and disinfects it every night.  My daughter (nurse) said yes, the shields are very effective. But a lot of folks think they look stupid 🤷🏻‍♀️

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden -

I think that is probably true.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bmorechick -

I don't know that the shields look stupid but I don't care. Based on a posters recommendation here, I did order 4 from Amazon-one for me and 2 for my daughters and one for my sil.

They won't wear them but I will!

I do think they cover more, including your eyes. I also think they are easier to breathe in. Maybe people will get used to them too.

My nurse daughter thinks they won't protect as well, only if you wear a mask with it.

i think they do cause they cover the eyes.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I read too that churches opening up are "petri dishes" for this virus!

Esteemed Contributor

There's a gym a few miles from me, on their facebook page they tout health and wellness, internal as well as external. But they refuse to stay closed, They said they'll go above & beyond with the guidelines, and people compromised should just stay home.  Last I heard they had 4 citations. It's so hippocritical, what do they not get about the spread and their business being a petri dish? 

I've heard for awhile- it's a 6 ft minimum. Chris Cuomo's wife was never within 6 ft of him when he was battling covid19- and she ended up testing positive

Esteemed Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

I read too that churches opeing up are "petri dishes" for this virus!

@on the bay  Virtual services are an easy solution- minus the communion wafers. Synogogues have been  holding them since March! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ibby114 -Mine has had the virtual ones as well for several months and are palnning to continue for some time.

Sometimes I listen more than once cause our pastors voice is so soothingSmiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@bmorechick -

I don't know that the shields look stupid but I don't care. Based on a posters recommendation here, I did order 4 from Amazon-one for me and 2 for my daughters and one for my sil.

They won't wear them but I will!

I do think they cover more, including your eyes. I also think they are easier to breathe in. Maybe people will get used to them too.

My nurse daughter thinks they won't protect as well, only if you wear a mask with it.

i think they do cause they cover the eyes.

@on the bay Yes I saw them on amazon and im considering ordering them. I would wear them too. I get hot in the mask and need cool air!  My nurse daughter said try wearing an n95 all day with eye goggles that dig into your face and then tell me how hot you are, lol. And yes she agreed they are much more effective with a mask, but for general folks, the shield does cover a good portion of the face. Continue to stay safe...