Honored Contributor

Re: Experiences taking Osteoporosis meds vs taking calcium, vitamin D & doing weight bearing e

@noodleann...my NP only suggested Vitamin D and Calcium....and when I have read online about the condition those are the two supplements the articles have recommended....it sounds like you are taking more than two!  How do you know what to take?

I copied your statement below, in red....how is a person supposed to know what your body is most likely to metabolise?

Sorry for the questions, but I still have not decided what to do, I have no one to bounce questions off...if I have a fracture or the bones deteriorate further then I will be so upset with my self for not taking the drug...sigh

Lessman just doesn't come out well when you look for bioavailability, and if you're not basing your supplement choices on what your body's most likely to metabolize, you really are squandering your money and fooling yourself.

Honored Contributor

Re: Experiences taking Osteoporosis meds vs taking calcium, vitamin D & doing weight bearing e

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@sockmonkey...thanks for your input!  I am so conflicted about what to do. When I mentioned to my NP about not taking anything, except the Calcium and Vitamin D, she pretty much said I was paying with fire!!   If I take anything it will be Boniva, my insurance would not cover Prolia, her first choice...way to expensive. 

I recently read on the "People's Pharmacy' or 'People's Parmacist' not sure. Husband and wife team and they have a radio show with experts giving their opinion on different subjects..... and you can read on line as well...it was an interesting article about osteoporosis meds and supplements.

IF I take Boniva, it will only be for 2-3 years, and of course the only way to know if the drug has done any good is to do another bone scan....(how many is a woman supposed to have in a life time...I have had 3).

I am 61, I was diagnosed with osteopenia about 10 ish years ago.  None of my friends have had  a dexa scan nor have their doctors recommended one.  They could have the same issue and not know it, but they are not concerned.

I wish I could just get concrete answers to which works better, supplements or the drug!

@Mom2Dogs   I have read many times, and my doctor recommends, dexa scans every two years beginning at age 50.  That's what I've done.  I was diagnosed with osteopenia a while ago, and this year with osteoporosis.  I'm getting ready to start Prolia injections.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs, I think if you make sure it's Vitamin D3, you're good on that. The big question and ongoing debate is about how much is too much. I'm currently taking 4,000 IU, but I also have multiple sclerosis and diabetes. Some MS doctors are recommending their patients take even higher doses, but as long as I test okay with this level, I'm good.

Re calcium, I like calcium citrate because you don't have to take it with food, whereas I've read that calcium carbonate, which has more elemental calcium, should be taken with food. I've read that calcium phosphate is probably the best, especially if calcium-related gas is a problem. When I run out of my current supplements, I'll probably try Posture-D.

I've read that magnesium citrate has the highest bioavailability, and magnesium oxide the lowest, at less than 5%. If a supplement has magnesium oxide, I don't even count it toward my magnesium for the day.

That's more or less what I know, but every time I run out of supplement I re-research them because new forms keep being developed or new names for old forms. Sometimes it feels like a shell game, trying to keep up.

All that said, regarding calcium, I'm tweaking my daily dose--trying to stay around  1200, the recommended level--depending on the food I've eaten. A glass of milk and a can of sardines mean I skip an evening supplement. Food is a better source than the supplements, so I'm shooting for making up at least half of my daily quota via my diet.

I was on Boniva years ago when I had osteopenia. I stopped when the reports on jaw necrosis and femur fracture came out. I now have osteoporosis and will probably start Boniva again in the summer when I have my physical. I don't like the idea, but I like the shots less, and I like a broken hip even less than either.

Honored Contributor

@noodleann, thank you so much for the information!  After reading a lot of info online and information from you and others, I decided to start taking the drug, 2-3 years max and then be tested again.

I hope your medical issues do not keep you from enjoying life...thank you again!

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@noodleann...my NP only suggested Vitamin D and Calcium....and when I have read online about the condition those are the two supplements the articles have recommended....it sounds like you are taking more than two!  How do you know what to take?

I copied your statement below, in red....how is a person supposed to know what your body is most likely to metabolise?

Sorry for the questions, but I still have not decided what to do, I have no one to bounce questions off...if I have a fracture or the bones deteriorate further then I will be so upset with my self for not taking the drug...sigh

Lessman just doesn't come out well when you look for bioavailability, and if you're not basing your supplement choices on what your body's most likely to metabolize, you really are squandering your money and fooling yourself.

@Mom2Dogs

You have to do your own research to learn what forms of different supplements are best. Yes, it can be a full time job. 

BTW, I was using Andrew Lessman's Calcium when I improved my bone density. Whatever one wants to believe, it did help me -  among other things. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The thing about taking supplements is - body chemistry is a complicated thing.You don't just replace what is missing and everything is OK fine. That particular element needs to combine with other elements which bind it to the body and those elements have to bond with even other elements. For this reason, just taking supplements often does not cure the problem.You are throwing away your money if you are just losing what your taking thru your urine and stool. 

For example - to put this more simply than it really is -- calcium has to bind to vitamin D - vitamin D has to bind to a fat molecule. So in order for a calcium to stay in the body it requires vitamin D and fats. This is why they add vitamin D to whole milk - it now contains everything needed to raise your body's calcium. Fat - vit D and calcium.