Contributor

Re: Experience with Transitional lenses for glasses

Have been using them for over 15 years and will not be without them. Also I have a trifocal progressive prescription and it works fine with the transitions. Also use fitover sunglasses when driving, but the truth is even with the UV coating on the wind shield the transitions do darken slightly, just not all the way (maybe my car or the FL sun) Either way, they are a must have for me. Also insist my kids have them as well. I'm not taking any chances,

Valued Contributor

My daughter had them and didn't like them. She said they didn't change fast enough for her.

Valued Contributor

My only complaint is that they don't darken in the car/when behind a plane of glass. I periodically debate getting a pair of fit-over sunglasses for when I am traveling in a vehicle to cut the glare. My progressive transitions are thin Varilux with polarization & & UV protection. Since it's my only pair of glasses, I have as many bells & whistles for all in one. I won't lie, this does not come cheap. The lenses were $800-$900. Yes, it was sticker shock.
Honored Contributor

I don't have any personal experience wearing them, and hopefully they've improved over the years, but my mom got them the summer prior to my wedding (LONG time ago). In some of the wedding pictures (indoors) her glasses are darkened.

Trusted Contributor

They did not work for me either years ago. Total waste of my money. I felt for me, they did not darken enough. I bought a pair of the sunglasses that fit over your regular Rx glasses and those are working just fine for me now. In fact I got them here at the Q. F11389

Honored Contributor

I have them and love them! Have used them for many years but I used to wear contacts most of the time. I can no longer wear contacts so I have several pairs of glasses that I switch and all have transitional lenses.

They used to take a long time to switch back to clear and I can remember the lenses from years ago not getting completely clear but that is no longer the case.

As for those who wear ""coke"" bottle glasses if one is willing to pay extra one can have thinner normal sized lenses. Lenses for eyeglasses have come a long way!

Honored Contributor

On 6/1/2015 haddon9 said:

I have them and love them! Have used them for many years but I used to wear contacts most of the time. I can no longer wear contacts so I have several pairs of glasses that I switch and all have transitional lenses.

They used to take a long time to switch back to clear and I can remember the lenses from years ago not getting completely clear but that is no longer the case.

As for those who wear "coke" bottle glasses if one is willing to pay extra one can have thinner normal sized lenses. Lenses for eyeglasses have come a long way!

(bolded by me) THAT is probably the best thing to come out of eyeglass progress! My glasses used to be so thick it was silly. Now, they are practically thin. I still cannot use wire frames but they are pretty thin. My left one doesn't even come out from the plastic frame and my right one just sticks out a very tiny bit. You can't even tell. Before this, my lenses both stuck out from the inside of my plastic frames a lot, especially the right. It's really great!

Honored Contributor

On 6/1/2015 haddon9 said:

As for those who wear "coke" bottle glasses if one is willing to pay extra one can have thinner normal sized lenses. Lenses for eyeglasses have come a long way!

If you can afford them, they're called "high-index" - and they are wonderful! Especially if you have a super-strong RX like mine.

I wear progressive lenses, BTW, and the $30 extra for HI lenses was totally worth it! They also lessen the total weight of your glasses.

Honored Contributor

Chickenbutt, what's your prescription for?
I wore Coke Bottle glasses for almost 60 years, had surgery and now I wear just readers.