Honored Contributor

Re: Experience with Transitional lenses for glasses

On 5/28/2015 Gloria said:
On 5/28/2015 addiegal said: I have Transitions and they now darken inside the car. The ones I have had in the past did not and was a problem for me as my eyes are senstive to light. It must be fairly new and mine were only available in a grey tint. Which I prefer but if you like a warm tone it might be a problem. I also wear no line bifocals.

Very good info! Good to know they now darken in the car. Thanks!

Gloria

Mine are new as of December and mine don't get dark in the car. I'm in Texas, sop they've seen plenty of sun. I have one pair of progressive lenses and two non-progressive pairs.

Valued Contributor

I love them,have had them for years!
Honored Contributor

I love my transitions lenses. They mean that I have sunglasses for going in and out of buildings and don't have to worry about carrying my sunglasses everywhere. I do use sunglasses to drive because the UV protective tint on my car windows keeps my lenses from changing inside the car. If I'm going out for a day outdoors, I bring real sunglasses because they cover and protect a larger area.

Because you have no control over the change, it's best to have a non-transitions pair, as well. When I was in a wedding party, I wore my non-transitions lenses in all of the pictures they took outdoors in full sun. Without that second pair, I would have had to go without glasses for the pictures or I would have been in sunglasses in all my friend's wedding pictures.

They make my life easier. Living in Texas, it's super bright walking from my car to the office and back out. Sunglass cases are SO big and I'd have to carry a big purse every day just to hold my glasses. Now I can carry a small purse and leave the sunglasses in my car.

Honored Contributor

On 5/28/2015 ChynnaBlue said:
On 2/16/2011 faeriemoon2 said:

I have several pairs of glasses. One of those pairs has transition lenses. I like them but they do have some disadvantages that some might find annoying. Firstly, once dark, it does take a while for them to transition back to clear. Secondly, IMO they don't ever really get completely clear. This can be bothersome if your eyes are your best feature and you want to highlight them. Finally, since windshields are treated for UV rays, your transition lenses won't darken for driving. I find this to be a real disadvantage.

Since, as I mentioned, I have several pairs of glasses I'm glad that I have my transitions to use from time to time. However I don't think I'd want them to be my only pair of glasses.Smile

All of mine are completely clear. I can put them side by side with my non-transitions lenses and can't tell the difference.

Mine are too, and have been since I started getting them. My husband, who isn't blind as a bat like I am, has been getting them in glass lenses for ages and his have always gone back to clear too.

I've never even seen any that don't.

Super Contributor

Sorry I forgot to specify that you need to order the Transitions that do change inside the car...apparently they are available as they always were or with the ability to change in the car. This has been so nice for me...and the technician exposed my glasses to light while checking the fit, etc.
Honored Contributor

A friend had these and when (after her daughter's wedding) photos were taken in the church it looked like she was wearing sunglasses. Not cool

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

On 5/29/2015 addiegal said: Sorry I forgot to specify that you need to order the Transitions that do change inside the car...apparently they are available as they always were or with the ability to change in the car. This has been so nice for me...and the technician exposed my glasses to light while checking the fit, etc.

Thanks, Addie! That information was a big help and enabled me to check their website for a name. It's the Transitions XTRActive that change inside a car. I always get the polarized lenses and it looks like you can only have one or the other, not both. Bummer!

http://www.transitions.com/en-us/products/transitions-xtractive/

Esteemed Contributor

On 2/16/2011 Krimpette said:

I wear Varilux glasses with transition lenses. I can't see across the room without my glasses. This is my only pair (other than an old pair in case of emergency). My glasses also were somewhat thick, but I have the lenses "thinned". So for me, my glasses cost quite a lot, given that they are Varilux, transitions, thinned, coated, etc. - all possible "bells and whistles". I'm thrilled beyond words that I only have to deal with one pair of glasses. I've never found the need to augment them with sunglasses, and I've gotten used to the fact that it takes some time for the darkening to dissipate. But I know they don't work for all people. I'm just happy mine work so well for me.

I might add that for whatever the reason (probably my age?), my prescription hasn't changed in about 5 years now.

Love Varilux. Love Transitions!

It sounds like we have the same glasses. I love mine too. My eyes are sensitive and the transition lenses have made a big difference. They aren't meant to be a total replacement for sunglasses so if one lives in an area with bright sun they may need sunglasses too. I have some that fit over glasses just in case, but I haven't needed them. I usually wear a hat when I'm outside in the sun or walking, which also helps protect my eyes.

I haven't had any problems with the color not changing back. My lenses go back to perfectly clear. I wouldn't be without them.

Contributor

I have them & would not get them again. In fact, waiting impatiently for my next eye exam so I can change them. Had to buy the fit over sunglasses to help with the sun that comes in the top of my glasses & even the sides. Defeats the whole purpose as I still need sunglassss to make them safe to wear. I'm glad some people really like them but I hate them
Respected Contributor

I had these 40 some years ago and the old ones didn't change fast and they didn't go completely clear when you went inside.

I just got them again after 40 years. I love these and they are so much improved. They change from dark to light and back really fast. They are totally clear inside. The do go slightly dark in the car, but not real dark.

Believe it or not, I got them at Walmart and I couldn't be more pleased. My daughter's family of 4 all go there and she told me they were very good and I do like them. Of course, I'm sure it depends on which one you go to.