Highlighted
Contributor

Experience with Transitional lenses for glasses

Going in for an eye exam tomorrow - so much to consider but need advice on transitional lenses. Pros/cons? Thank you!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Experience with Transitional lenses for glasses

A lot of great info here. I am thinking of getting transitionals for when on vacation and going in and out a lot, rather than getting prescription sunglasses. I was talking to a relative over the weekend who has them and said they come in brown and gray (maybe it was just the type he got?).

Those of you who have them, what color are yours? I am not really sure without trying them what color I would like when looking through them, if you know what I mean. I am sure if I get to that point there will be samples to look through (at least I hope so).

TIA Gloria

Trusted Contributor

I LOVE them but wear Fitovers over them in the car since they don't darken through the auto glass. I have the gray tint because I was told that it gets darker than the brown tint.

Super Contributor

I just got mine a few months ago and love them. They transition very quickly for me, so maybe it is the technology used in my lenses. I will say though, that the will have a tint even on a cloudy day. I like that, but some people don't, so keep that in mind. You may also notice a tint in brightly lit areas.

Honored Contributor

My regular glasses are transitional but I also have sunglasses because I have very sensitive eyes. So I need something REALLY dark for going outside, even if it's not sunny.

I like them fine. It was nice when you could finally get them in plastic because, before lenses got better, I had really thick lenses and couldn't wear glass because of the weight.

But the bottom line is that they don't get super dark so it's not problematic for me, like if I go outside my house and then come back in. If I look in a mirror I notice that they have darkened but when I'm looking around things aren't dark like if I put on my sunglasses.

I also have the progressive bifocals (no lines). That took me a long time to acclimate. I've never tried the regular bifocals, with the lines, so I don't know what the difference is but I like the progressives.

Respected Contributor

Con: When driving, the glasses read the level of lightin the car, not outside, where you are actually looking. So, I had trouble when driving with the lenses not darkening.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Super Contributor

I have Transitions and they now darken inside the car. The ones I have had in the past did not and was a problem for me as my eyes are senstive to light. It must be fairly new and mine were only available in a grey tint. Which I prefer but if you like a warm tone it might be a problem. I also wear no line bifocals.
Trusted Contributor

On 5/28/2015 turtle52 said:

I LOVE them but wear Fitovers over them in the car since they don't darken through the auto glass. I have the gray tint because I was told that it gets darker than the brown tint.

That is very good to know! Just the sort of info I am looking for! Thank you!

Gloria

Trusted Contributor

On 5/28/2015 addiegal said: I have Transitions and they now darken inside the car. The ones I have had in the past did not and was a problem for me as my eyes are senstive to light. It must be fairly new and mine were only available in a grey tint. Which I prefer but if you like a warm tone it might be a problem. I also wear no line bifocals.

Very good info! Good to know they now darken in the car. Thanks!

Gloria

Honored Contributor

On 2/16/2011 faeriemoon2 said:

I have several pairs of glasses. One of those pairs has transition lenses. I like them but they do have some disadvantages that some might find annoying. Firstly, once dark, it does take a while for them to transition back to clear. Secondly, IMO they don't ever really get completely clear. This can be bothersome if your eyes are your best feature and you want to highlight them. Finally, since windshields are treated for UV rays, your transition lenses won't darken for driving. I find this to be a real disadvantage.

Since, as I mentioned, I have several pairs of glasses I'm glad that I have my transitions to use from time to time. However I don't think I'd want them to be my only pair of glasses.Smile

All of mine are completely clear. I can put them side by side with my non-transitions lenses and can't tell the difference.