Esteemed Contributor

Hospice care was the best thing for our family when my dad was ill.  The nurses were wonderful and my dad received the best care. The team made sure he had an easy transition.  After he passed away, they reached out to us to see if we were okay.

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@geezerette Thanks for clarifying that. It was a relief to not have another bill to pay, but had we needed to do that, it would have been well worth it after seeing how well they worked with her.

We didn't know they took donations. I will talk with my sister about that, as we are still working on paying her bills, disposing of her things,  and closing her various accounts.

@World Traveler 

As I mentioned, our experience was with a faith-based organization.  Depending on the type of hospice organization you used, they may or may not take donations.

And I agree wholeheartedly about not having another bill to pay.  Especially given the amount of services that were provided.  But we also would gladly have spent whatever it cost for that peace of mind.  Under the circumstances my father experienced, it could have been a completely horrific passing for him without that hospice experience and expertise.

❤️

Trusted Contributor

@conlt   I forgot to mention in my earlier post Hospice provides services for the family.  There is grief support for a year  following the passing of a loved one.  They send grief newsletter and have a counselor avaiable.  Just know it is an wholistic approach and they are there for the journey.  Both the agencies I worked with offered this so I think it is probably the norm.  Heart

Regular Contributor

Angels on Earth....

Honored Contributor

They were the kindest, most caring medical professionals I ever dealt with.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Experience with Hospice

[ Edited ]

Hospice was wonderful for my mom's last days. It was a compassionate, quiet place for her to journey from this life. Hospice offers counseling for you and family members if you need it, as well.

Hospice removes the fear of dieing and enables the experience to be comfortable and peaceful. It was a shared experience that I'm fortunate to have experienced with my mom as she transitioned from this life to whatever lies ahead. Highly recommend placing your mom in Hospice immediately. You both will be pleased with their gentle help.

We were self-pay. I now donate to that Hospice so others are able to go there without worry of finances. They take anyone and offer care to all. Financial assistance is certainly available or fees may be waived. 

Blessings. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

God bless you and your family. Please use hospice they are amazing. 🙏🏻

Esteemed Contributor

So very sorry for what you’re going through. I will keep you & your mother in my thoughts!!💐

I haven’t had any personal experiences with hospice.But I’ve heard good things about it.

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@geezerette Thanks for clarifying that. It was a relief to not have another bill to pay, but had we needed to do that, it would have been well worth it after seeing how well they worked with her.

We didn't know they took donations. I will talk with my sister about that, as we are still working on paying her bills, disposing of her things,  and closing her various accounts.

@World Traveler  We also used Hospice via a religious organization (Catholic Church/ Washington DC Archdiocese). After her death, I asked if we could mention donations in lieu of flowers and her nurse said absolutely. There was a way it was worded so all donations would go to this specific chapter. It was amazing how many donated and how much. I had not idea you could do this; what a wonderful way to give back to those who helped her/us all the months, at the time of her death as well as after.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam Oh, that is wonderful! I definitely want to speak with my sister about us donating something/money to the people who helped during mom's last week. As most everyone has indicated, they are such wonderful people who have a special calling on their life. Heart