Super Contributor

Experience with HYPERthroidism?

The only experience I have with it is my CAT.

I've had two blood tests that show my TSH is low (which indicates HYPERthyroid) but the T3/T4 were normal. This is unusual.

I have a dr. appt. with the endocrinologist on Friday, which I've only had to wait 2 weeks for. But I'm feeling pretty crummy, either HOT as heck, my chest pounding, and like I've drunk a gallon of coffee (which I don't ever drink) or else like I'm exhausted, taking 2 hour naps when I get home from work. 

Anyone else ever deal with this? Thoughts? Thank you! 

Super Contributor

Re: Experience with HYPERthroidism?

[ Edited ]

Relax, breath, go to your endo & it will be ok. I'm a long time hyprothyroid patient. A good MD, for me an endocrinologist, is the best way to be treated. 

Valued Contributor

I just had blood tests and the results indicated hyperthyroid for me as well.  How is this treated?  Medication?

Honored Contributor

@PatriciaG wrote:

I just had blood tests and the results indicated hyperthyroid for me as well.  How is this treated?  Medication?

@PatriciaG , your Dr. didn't tell you anything?  Anyhow, I was initially diagnoised with "hyper"thyroid and as the word means, over-active thyroid, and after I had my thyroid removed I became "hypo" thyroid, meaning under-active, and therefore to regulate you take medication (most take synthroid or the generic), for me,the rest of my life!

Esteemed Contributor

I was diagnosed with hyper about 20 years ago and had radiation therapy.  I think things have improved since then.  I am now hypothyroid but have been able over the last 20 years to continually lower my synthroid dosage.  No matter what the therapy will be, you may find, like I did, that exercise helps tremendously to keep things in check.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

@PatriciaG wrote:

@PatriciaG 

Hyper thyroid is treated as follows:

They'll surgically remove a section of your thyroid, maybe a whole lobe, depends on your readings. The intention is to remove enough to deliberately make you hypothyroid.

From that point they'll prescribe a thyroid replacement to bring your readings into the 'normal' range.

Sometimes they get the dosage right on the first try. Sometimes they have to tweak it for a while as your own thyroid output adjusts after the surgery.

You may respond better to a synthetic over desiccated, and to one pharmaceutical brand over another. My Dr resorted to writing a particular brand name into my Rx to prevent the pharmacy from substituting their 'contract' brand.

This is one of the most frequently prescribed meds and its wise to compare prices. At one point mine was cheaper for me to pay than to go thru the insurance.

Once you get your dosage straightened out its cheaper to get 90 than 30x3.

Honored Contributor

I refused to have mine surgically removed, did not want a scar that looked my throat had been slit, my mother & sister both had them!

I had my thyroid removed with the Radio Active Thyriod Pill, over 25 yrs ago!

Esteemed Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

I refused to have mine surgically removed, did not want a scar that looked my throat had been slit, my mother & sister both had them!

I had my thyroid removed with the Radio Active Thyriod Pill, over 25 yrs ago!

My sister had that. Then had to have it removed surgically anyhow because if any cells remain, it grows back.

lol! Medical equipment and techniques have improved in the last 25 years. Those big gashes (25 years ago) belong in the past. Mine's right in the natural crease, and due to a very tidy stitch, is hard to see even when you're looking for it. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I recently went through the radioactive medication procedure like @Hooty and then I was placed on levothyroxine.  Having to be in a limited quarantine for a few days was mildly irritating — I boarded my dog to protect him — but totally painless.  

Contributor

I was actually at the endocrinologist this morning for hyperthyroidism.  As an alternative to thyroid removal the endocrinologist prescribed Methimazole, which I have taken for a year.  We've had to experiment quite a bit to get the dosage just right, but I no longer have shaking hands, rapid heartbeat, etc. and  feel almost normal, just a little tired sometimes, so my dosage has been slightly decreased and we'll see if that helps as it got to a point that I was hypothyroid.