Honored Contributor

Re: Experience with HYPERthroidism?

About 15 years ago, my husband's sister lost a LOT of weight.  She was always starving herself, so no one thought anything of it.  Including her.

But she ignored other symptoms.

She had Grave's disease and her eyes literally bulged out of her head.  She ended up having to have surgery to correct them (about 3 to 4 hour surgery!).

She also lost a LOT of hair and had to wear a hair piece.

Now it's under 'check' and she's on medication, but the whole ordeal really aged her.

I believe she had hyperthyroidism initially.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Experience with HYPERthroidism?

Almost 20 years ago, I also took the iodine pill (a capsule)..... My endo sent me to the hospital Radiology Dept, where a Radiologist (arranged by my endo) opened up a little container and spilled the capsule into my hand, handed me a glass of water, told me to swallow the pill and sit there for about 20 minutes or so......

After that, I went home and soon after (don't remember how long) I saw my Endo again and she prescribed Tapazole for a period of time until they were sure the thyroid was gone.  Then, I was put on Levothyroxine.

I take 75 Mcg 5x a week and 50 Mcg 2x a week and voila.  I never had any symptoms.  It's like it never happened.  

I hear so many horror stories concerning the thyroid, I guess we were the lucky ones.  So far, so good.  I think my dosage was adjusted once in all these years but I never had any problem.