Super Contributor

Re: Exercises and Supplements for Arthritis Question

Sorry I am confused about black pepper and turmeric, is there a special pepper I should buy?

Honored Contributor

@daisey10 wrote:

Sorry I am confused about black pepper and turmeric, is there a special pepper I should buy?

Sorry for the confusion. I take standardized turmeric that has pepper (peperine) in it.  There are so many on the market. Some organic, some not. I picked mine by choosing a dosage recommended by Dr. Weil...500mg caps taken three time daily. Then I looked for one I could afford. The price ranges are wide so look around. I buy mine from pipingrock website. It's the standardized 500mg caps. 

Respected Contributor

I was diagnosed 3 years ago with severe arthritis. Since then I had been on Glucosamine/Chondrotin for 2 years with zero results. The trainer at my gym got me onto Hyaluronic Acid and I was seeing major results in 2 weeks. He also just got me onto Turmeric as well.

I do go to the gym at least 5 days a week. My doctor won't let me on the treadmill, I need to have a stable foot when working out. So I use the elliptical for 45 minutes followed by sit-ups, circuit training, weights, stationary bicycle, whatever I want to add. I mix it up. Gets everything moving.

I often ride my bicycle outside

I did lose some weight to help my joints. It's an ongoing thing. I move, or it rusts!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I think there is nothing better for joints than getting into the water and doing aerobics.Exercising in the water is highly recommended for arthritis patients by rehab doctors as the water supports your weight and keeps from damaging joints further.

I haven't done it but my rheumatologist highly recommended water aerobics (for seniors) for the arthritis in m knee.  I have spinal stenosis too and he thought it would be good for my balance.  I should look into it.  The problem for me is those classes are always in the daytime and I work fulltime. 

Respected Contributor

Today I just received an online order of Standardized TUMERIC with the Black Pepper.  I found it online at Amazon.  I will start taking it tomorrow and hope that it relieves the pain in my knees, but it could take 2-3 months before you feel that it is working.

Trusted Contributor

I might try that tumeric combo.  I walk 3 mi/day on a treadmill and also do yoga.  I take lots of supplements, including tart cherry juice and mostly just use 800mg ibuprofen for pain.

If you can dream it you can do it--Walt Disney
Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Not tp be nosey @patticakes.. but how old are you?  The thing about joint replacement is that is is wiser to do it sooner than later if it is definitely down the road. My situation was probably different than yours, but, I wanted to do it when my health was good, and I could come back from the surgery easy. I am 60 now.   I had  both knees and hips replaced over the last  three years. I also put off doing my knees and suffered terribly for 10 unnecessary years. Now here I am walking an hour each day feeling no pain in my hips and knees with my new joints! 

I also have arthritis in my upper neck, back and shoulders which I deal with... but nothing like the debilitation my knees and hips caused me for so many years.

My Mother waited until she was about 80 and died from the  blood thinners after surgery.. in 2004. So she suffered for years with her knee putting off surgery....and  waited too long ... when her health was not as good ,when surgery is more dangerous.  I did not want to be that person.

I just want to say, if you know the joint replacement is in your future, and you are over 60... just do not put it off with shots and such for too long that give you temporary comfort..and wear off.... do it when you have good health.

SeaMaiden...first of all, I am sorry you lost your mom....my mom was 57 when she passed away....at age 66, and suffering with an arthritic knee since 2002, i'm having my knee replaced tomorrow....like you, i also have joint pain in my neck, shoulders, back and hands...but i'm hoping with a new knee it will be easier to tolerate my other pain issues....maybe you could cross your fingers hoping my surgery goes well.....my fingers don't cross well these days!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I think there is nothing better for joints than getting into the water and doing aerobics.Exercising in the water is highly recommended for arthritis patients by rehab doctors as the water supports your weight and keeps from damaging joints further.

I haven't done it but my rheumatologist highly recommended water aerobics (for seniors) for the arthritis in m knee.  I have spinal stenosis too and he thought it would be good for my balance.  I should look into it.  The problem for me is those classes are always in the daytime and I work fulltime. 

I started out 6 years ago doing the very easy arthritis class and have now advanced up to a class my YMCA calls TURBO MOVE. I also do a water zumba class.As you get stronger you will advance through the levels of the class. 

I would call around to various YMCA and community pools for an evening class - they do exist, but it may take some research. 

Every class I have ever taken does do some work on your core so it does help with balance.

Honored Contributor

@nana59   My prayers are with you today!.... on your way to getting your life back and less pain!. You go girl!

Respected Contributor

@patticakes wrote:

I'd be interest in hearing from anyone who has had success with either exercise and/or supplements for arthritis.  Which exercises and supplements seem to work the best?  I currently am receiving Synvisc One injections every six months or so for knees and they work quite well to give me more mobility than I had previously; however they don't do anything for hips, feet and ankles or any other joint issues.  As long as they continue to work, I'll hold off on knee replacement but definitely would like to be a little pro active on the other issues.

I had my third Synvisc shot today in 3 weeks.  Back in March I had a steroid shot and got almost 4 good weeks before the pain returned.  I'm hoping to have better luck with these gel shots.  I've had a prosthetic leg since I was a teenager so my good leg takes a lot of pounding. It was scoped a few years ago.  I did well after the first Synvisc shot but almost immediately after the second one, my leg became swollen.  It lasted a few days.  The doctor told me this is a rare occurrence and I'm hoping it will not happen again.