Honored Contributor

Re: Exercise suggestions for balance issue

@LindaSal : Thank you. Just ordered the dvd and suppose to be delivered tomorrow.❤️Southern Bee

Respected Contributor

@SouthernBee :  I know you just ordered something but try "Silver Sneakers" website for seniors.  They have all kinds of classes online which may help also.  Good luck.

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom : Thank you. Member of silver sneakers and some things that I can't do. Wanted dvd and something different. Very difficult to watch and do something on my iPad. ❤️Southern Bee

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SouthernBee 

The one exercise that helped me the most to get back to being able to ice skate is the one I will mention.  I went for 12 weeks of PT 3 times a week. On my off days I did a minimum of 30 minutes working on all balance exercises.

These also helped my overall balance greatly. For me the exercise that worked the best was this:

Balancing of my Left foot: my Right foot off the floor. I use a stop watch to time the amount of time I could keep my balance. Then I repeat the same with my other leg.

I made sure to wear the exact same shoes and stand in the exact same, perfectly flat, part of my basement gym floor. I also stood right next to a support pillar on 1 side, and my treadmill on the other. They were easy to grab when losing my balance.

I started with about 15 seconds balancing on the individual leg before I would lose my balance. I gradually worked up to going over 1 minute and more if I chose to do it longer. Even began replicating crossing over as I do in ice skating to turn, while on the 1 foot.

These exercises, to be done for long periods, require good strength in each leg, especially the quadriceps muscles. Those have never been a problem for me because of my decades of strength building exercises.

I still do others, but ice skating, at a good skill level, is primarily a 1 foot activity. When striding, 1 foot is always off the ice. When cross over turning, 1 foot is off the ice. The only time both skates are on the ice is when you are coasting.

I do have a balance board and I do the "drunk walk", 1 foot heel to toe, both going forward and backwards. That I would not suggest because of your vertigo issues.

That is what I still do every day even though I have not skated since, I believe March. If and when they open the ice rink, I am sure I will have to take it very slowly. Skates and on foot are much different, even though I have very narrow feet, the blade on my skate is about 1 quarter inch wide.

Long as usual, but without that 1 exercise? I doubt just 1 broken rib and 1 broken nose would have been the worst of my problems getting back my skating skills.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut : Wow- thank you for sharing. Will try the leg and foot balance. Funny story- went ice skating with my church group and thay all wanted to help me and be able to say that I tried skating once. Wish you could have seen their expressions when they asked for my shoe size: I replied sized 4 for the left foot and size 7 for the right foot. Tried a size 6 and 7. I had kids on both sides and in front of me but only took a few seconds  for me to be on my backside. Still had fun especially all the giggles and laughter. My orthopedic doctor didn't think it was funny when I shared the photos. Southern Bee

Respected Contributor

Yoga is wonderful for balance and there are many beginner videos on YouTube. I take a zoom class through the Y.