Honored Contributor

My gym has a Silver Sneakers class which is geared towards older gym goers and is less intensive.  You may want to see if you have any in your area.  Most places (even the local county classes) usually have senior classes or beginner's or intros to take and see what she likes.  

The most important thing in any class at any age is proper form so the trainer suggestion is a good one if you can afford it or just showing up early and introducing yourself to the teacher so she or he knows you need some set up and guidance during the class.  They are happy to do it.  

And they have no problem with you not taking the entire class but just doing what you can and then leaving when you feel you need to.  I left my very first ride/spin class (actually my very good teacher threw me out) after 4 songs and said I needed to work into it and anything else I was trying for the first time slowly.  It was good advice.      

My first thought was water aerobics too.  That is highly recommended if you have an injury or issues with joints.  Pilates or yoga are also good for joint issues as well but you need to be comfortable on the floor.

The treadmill and bikes, depending on her pain threshhold, could be very aggravating to her knees.  And they are cardio activities although you can pace yourself and control the resistance and speed.  

Tell her to try a little bit here and there, see what speaks to her, and then dive in, slowly.  She'll find what she likes and what her body can handle and as she gets stronger, she'll be surprised at how much more she wants to try.  

Respected Contributor

I have bad knees and am doing anything I can to ward off replacement!

See the MD first. I did and was alerted to the fact that for my knee issues I was best to use equipment where my foot remained stable. So for me it's the elliptical, rowing and biking. Walking on the treadmill was out because the foot doesn't land in the same place every time!

Also, the trainer at my club suggested Hyaluronic Acid. I take 2 capsules each morning and I noticed a difference in less than 2 weeks! I had taken glucosamine/chondroitin for 2 years and it did nothing for me. Hyaluronic Acid is excellent for your skin and fine lines too, a nice side affect!

Movement is good, anything is better than nothing.....consistency is key!

Good luck!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Esteemed Contributor

@betty423 wrote:

My sister is in her early 60's and wants to lose about 50 pounds.  She has bad knees and is afraid of aerobic activity.  She was thinking of using the treadmill or bike at the gym for cardio and taking a beginner pilates class for toning.  Is that right?  I always walk and use the cybex machines to tone.  I've never done pilates.  Any insight???

Thanks.

Betty

I assume she has gotten a diagnosis of exactly the source of her knee issues from an Orthopedic Doctor. Maybe even a referral to a Physical Therapists, yes?

The cardio exercises best for those with knee issues are: swimming and "Non-Weight Bearing Exercises". I prefer one of the several I have in my home gym, and none of them involve using either of my 2 treadmills.

A person can get a " cardio workout" on a Pilates machine, but I have never used it for that unless I was using the Rebounder. The Rebounder I would never use if I had any kind of knee problem.

These are meant only "in general", not as a good use for specific/diagnosed knee issue. I would think her Ortho Doctor would have told her,or referred her to a PT, about your questions.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Remind her they say that 80% of weight loss is diet and 20% exercise. 

Regular Contributor
Wow. Thanks to everyone for the information. She had joined weight watchers just before Christmas so nutrition is being worked on. I don't know that she's seen a dr. recently. She hurt both knees in a fall several years back (she did see a dr and was treated at the time). But since experiences achy pain from time to time. I'm happy she's taking care of herself she's had some rough times and is now ready to put her health first. Thanks again.
Honored Contributor

When i went back to the gym after my knee surgery the doctor said absolutely NO to the eliptical and the treadmill. He said they are both hard on joints. He actually recommended I do water aerobics. Does her gym have a pool? If they do they probably have water aerobics classes. She would have to pick a pretty active one like a water zumba or something but it is a great way to get moving - having the resistance of the water to help build muscle and not hurt your joints.You can wear foam " weights" which aren't really weights at all just pieces of foam rubber - on her ankles and arms to give more resistance as you move and thus build more muscle.

Super Contributor
Frequent Contributor
betty423

Exercise Question[ New ]

My sister is in her early 60's and wants to lose about 50 pounds.  She has bad knees and is afraid of aerobic activity.  She was thinking of using the treadmill or bike at the gym for cardio and taking a beginner pilates class for toning.  Is that right?  I always walk and use the cybex machines to tone.  I've never done pilates.  Any insight???

Thanks.

Betty

Ten years ago I joined the Y. The help was not very helpful, I found out they were mainly there to get "clients", personal trainers.

The Y had only two machines of this kind. It was an incline type of machine. You could set it from easy, to very demanding. I started using these machines because from walking my ankles were getting stiff.The next AM the ankles would lock up, until I walked for a minute

No pain, no stiff anything from this certain machine. I looked it up on the web at the time, about 5K.

Many types of machines, with many adjustments. I would stay on it an hour, and the sweat poured off me. No pain ever. The different adjustments was the key.

Many seniors have knee issues.

Pilates.....make sure its a SMALL class

GET good advice !

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." MLK
Honored Contributor

@febe1 wrote:

Remind her they say that 80% of weight loss is diet and 20% exercise. 

Who's "they"?