Respected Contributor

Exercise Menopause Weight Gain

I have recently gone thur menopause prior to this I have been working out at home on a regular basis for 1yr.  I have steadily gained weight instead of maintaining my weight!  I have not changed my eating habits.  

I have always been on the thin side...genetics I guess.  But I never expected to be working out and putting on weight at the same time.  

Is it possible that working out actually puts pounds on you? LOL I know sounds crazy but it sure seems that way to me.

I have hit the top end of what is "ok" for me in terms of weight....I'd like to loose just a few pounds and NOT go over this top end.  But it seems like I keep expanding these last few months in particular.  I have never in my entire life lifted weights or jogged so much and so on YET I am gaining pounds.  

Not sure what I should try....I began my workout routine due to being told I have low bone density plus doing several rounds of PT for neck/back/arm pain (arthritis) so being fit and healthy is my #1 main goal.  Just didn't expect to gain weight from it.

I suspect this must be a meno related issue....what's that saying about college kids? Freshman 15? well is there one for meno like that.....meno 15? or meno 20? LOL

Just sharing my situation today....bought new pants in March and they just barely fit now....cut the tags off today to wear them and couldn't believe it.  If I keep going here these won't fit soon either.  Time to go....got get my jog in now....late today.

Honored Contributor

Re: Exercise Menopause Weight Gain

[ Edited ]

@tsavorite wrote:

I have recently gone thur menopause prior to this I have been working out at home on a regular basis for 1yr.  I have steadily gained weight instead of maintaining my weight!  I have not changed my eating habits.  

I have always been on the thin side...genetics I guess.  But I never expected to be working out and putting on weight at the same time.  

Is it possible that working out actually puts pounds on you? LOL I know sounds crazy but it sure seems that way to me.

I have hit the top end of what is "ok" for me in terms of weight....I'd like to loose just a few pounds and NOT go over this top end.  But it seems like I keep expanding these last few months in particular.  I have never in my entire life lifted weights or jogged so much and so on YET I am gaining pounds.  

Not sure what I should try....I began my workout routine due to being told I have low bone density plus doing several rounds of PT for neck/back/arm pain (arthritis) so being fit and healthy is my #1 main goal.  Just didn't expect to gain weight from it.

I suspect this must be a meno related issue....what's that saying about college kids? Freshman 15? well is there one for meno like that.....meno 15? or meno 20? LOL

Just sharing my situation today....bought new pants in March and they just barely fit now....cut the tags off today to wear them and couldn't believe it.  If I keep going here these won't fit soon either.  Time to go....got get my jog in now....late today.

Is it possible you are gaining muscle from your diet in addition to exercise and that's why you weigh more?

Menopause does make it harder to maintain weight. But with a few less calories I can maintain. If I go over 1200 I gain weight. I really think all the diets I have been on over my lifetime make me burn fewer calories over the long term.

In addition just to be sure you are not hypothyroid, get a few blood tests. Sometimes that can make us gain a few pounds.

Wishing you luck and please let us know how you are doing.....

Respected Contributor

My weight goes up and down.  I had to start thyroid hormone therapy and it help a teenie tiny bit.  For some reason, after menopause, my weigth found it's way to my waist and midriff.  I am active plus I walk everyday.  I think it is much harder to lose weight after menopause than before.  Good luck to you.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

With my chemistry and nutrition background I do know our metabolic  rate goes down about every 5-7 years as we age.

As for bone density, I have to watch that too.  I drink Instant Breakfast every morning because it has double the calcium of milk.  Before that I floored the doctor with the results from eating yogurt every morning,  I got to where I can't tolerate that consistency any longer after four years!

I do the Zumba CD's.  Loving music with a good beat that's the easiest way for me since I don't live in a good place to walk.

As far as eating, I have Instant Breakfast with 1% milk in the morning.  Lunch is fruit. We have to eat something for lunch to keep our metabolism burning.  Dinner is a meat and either low cal vegetables or a very large salad.  I do have a small amount of real salad dressing.  I'd rather have a little of something I like than a lot of something I don't.

I don't eat bread, and very few starches which isn't hard since I love vegetables.

There are a number of books on Menopause and Losing weight.  I'd lean to the one from the Mayo Clinic.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Menopause+and+lo...

Good luck and let us know how you're doing and what's working!

Trusted Contributor

As women, we are so lucky with all we get!!!  Men should be so lucky.

You probably are gaining muscle weight.  Muscles should put everything in it's proper place and then you should see a difference in the much beloved FLUB, as you continue with different exercises and your diet.   It is very important to exercise different parts of the body. ( I am speaking from NON experience)   3 times in my lifetime I gained weight, 2 babies and my Thyroid.  Our waist and around are the lucky recipients of the extra sizing.  Do core exercises.  Good luck and keep excersizing.

Honored Contributor

Please forgive any spelling errors I may make as I can not correct or edit on my iPad with the web site so messed up.

I know what you mean about the meno weight gain. It is harder at 60 for me to burn fat around the middle. I purchased a fit bit and have been stepping 12 to 13 thousand steps and I am slowly losing my tummy. You just have to work extra hard. I do not want to be skinny.....just healthy and feel good in my clothes.

Trusted Contributor

Don't look at a number on a scale. Measure by inches instead- or just by how your clothes are fitting. Muscle weighs more than fat. Hopefully you're gaining muscle & losing fat. There are a lot of before & after weight loss pictures where people actually gained weight (because of muscle gain) but look like they lost a ton of weight. Keep at it & don't get discouraged. 

Respected Contributor

Make sure you get your Thyroid checked.

Respected Contributor

Hi ladies thanks for the replies.....I have been hypothyroid for 10yrs or more now....I have a great doctor and we keep my numbers up so I feel good.  I also have a fitbit and use that.  

I have considered that I might be seeing weight gain due to building muscle also....not sure I am stronger but I don't look like the Isomer's lady over on Evine...my goodness she sure has changed over the last yr or so.  

I want to be stronger....have better endurance...plus hopefully all this is helping my bones.  But my gut is getting bigger....it's like fat wants to go there.  And I know that's the place health wise that matters most.  I have taken my measurements and am surprised how they have gone up some.  I will take a closer looks at my diet and begin logging it to see how many calories I am eating.

I do drink a Pure Protien nutritional drink I make here with 2% milk....25grams of protient which I needed after a workout.  I eat greek yogurt with strawberrries and almond slices.  No pop or alcohol.  I'd say eating out is the most likely culprit.  I love that strawberry popseed salad at Panera OMGoodness it's so yummy!  But it's only 350calories (about) so not that.  

Honored Contributor

You can lose weight but gain muscle which can make you weigh more. You should be able to tell how your clothes fit if you are gaining or losing.