Respected Contributor

Re: Excluded from testing the J & J vaccine

Notwithstanding, it is only 66% effective--that's not good enough.  I thought this one-dose would be my choice, but not now.   

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@software wrote:

Your  point?

Results must be narrow & controlled, can't have a successful trial using people with diagnoses that could skew thee results.

@software @Point is that for these excluded populations efficacy is unknown. That's all. 

For decades women were excluded from many important trials, like for heart disease because their hormone levels changed up & down during the month and could effect the results.    It wasn't until women started dying from heart disease that they were finally included in studies.

Not sure how that translates in this case.   That's why trials take so many years to complete.

Esteemed Contributor

@seaBreeze  It's two doses (IIRC they should be given three weeks apart, but I've heard up to six weeks may be OK. IDK about that. I'd follow the guidelines of three weeks. But, it is two doses!

I've not read anywhere about only 66% effective. How does anyone know yet? Even at 66%, it's 2/3 better than not having the shots! You might rethink your odds. Without the shots, you don't stand a chance against the virus.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor

That is a whole lot of conditions excluded, seeing as USA is probably the most unhealthy country in the world.

I won't take this one due to the way it is made. They made it the old fashion way, with a tiny piece of the vrius inserted into a stripped out core cold virus. The other 2 have NO virus in it, just the genetic code to trick your immune system into repsonding.

66% is not that high but they say the FDA only requires 50% to be approved. Flu shots are only 50% and they never get the flu shot right in any year (although they have to guess which flu bug might be the one circulating and that is hard to do).

J&J being one dose and not need deep cold storage will be helpful for the far out, hard to reach communities that they will have to go to the people. Being remote perhaps they are less apt to be as vulerable to getting sick due to not being in big cities? I don't know, that is what I have heard. Easier to distribute.

I am laying low waiting for them to get their act together. Soon I hope. People in my area who got their first dose now cannot get their second because of vaccine shortage.

Respected Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

This is the fourth thread about the J & J vaccine

Only read the ones , you are interested in.

Honored Contributor

@gabstoomuch wrote:

That is a whole lot of conditions excluded, seeing as USA is probably the most unhealthy country in the world.

I won't take this one due to the way it is made. They made it the old fashion way, with a tiny piece of the vrius inserted into a stripped out core cold virus. The other 2 have NO virus in it, just the genetic code to trick your immune system into repsonding.

66% is not that high but they say the FDA only requires 50% to be approved. Flu shots are only 50% and they never get the flu shot right in any year (although they have to guess which flu bug might be the one circulating and that is hard to do).

J&J being one dose and not need deep cold storage will be helpful for the far out, hard to reach communities that they will have to go to the people. Being remote perhaps they are less apt to be as vulerable to getting sick due to not being in big cities? I don't know, that is what I have heard. Easier to distribute.

I am laying low waiting for them to get their act together. Soon I hope. People in my area who got their first dose now cannot get their second because of vaccine shortage.

@gabstoomuch Excluded only in the clinical trials, not excluded from receiving vaccines.   All clinical trials have exclusion criteria. 

Honored Contributor

@gabstoomuch wrote:

@gabstoomuch You'd be aghast to learn how many drugs have never been tested on women. 

Contributor

Hi @BirkiLady 

The Johnson & Johnson vac is ONLY ONE dose, and CNN reported today that the efficacy was 66% for some people.  I assume that the final results were reported today, that's why CNN had their usual "breaking news."   Note: The other vaccines currently avail. are two doses.  But you are correct, any percentage is better than nothing.

Esteemed Contributor

@MercyMe7  Thanks for the information. I wasn't aware of a one-dose vaccine. Later, I did read about the 66% when reading my on-line paper.

If I were a betting woman, I'd go for those odds over zero% any day!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@gabstoomuch :  Being isolated dies not equate to being less vulnerable. Navajo and Apaches are among the most vulnerable groups and they are rural and therefore isolated. They have multi generational homes and sometimes do not have running water or dependable electricity plus their rural roads are a problem.  I would think that a one shot vaccine that can be kept on ice or in a regular refrigerator would literally be a lifesaver for them.  DH and I feel that J&J shot will probably be the fastest and easiest for us as well ( our entire county got 100 shots last week).