Reply
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,790
Registered: ‎05-15-2014

Re: Excedrin products discontinued

Somehow I wonder if they would actually break down the same in the body.  You know a pharmacist told  me once that taking 3 tablets of 200mg advil will NOT have the same affect as taking one prescription 600MG ibuprofen.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,229
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Excedrin products discontinued

I quit buying Excedrin years ago and buy the two pack from Walmart, works the same.  I do have a prescription for my migraines as well.  My last major migraine started on Dec. 31 and lasted four days. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,522
Registered: ‎06-09-2014

Re: Excedrin products discontinued


@froggy wrote:

It's just a combination of acetamenophen, aspirin and caffein. Why don't you just buy generics of the ingredients and combine them yourself?


OMG please do not do this.  This just sent chills up my spine as a CPh. 

 

Please understand that OTC medication can and will kill you just as well as the prescription stuff or cause you bodily harm especially when you go off use like this. 

 

Anything sold OTC this has been safety tested in the correct dosage and preparation delivery system along with potential side effects and the effects of all three together by the company under the FDA oversight. Use generic if you have to or ask your pharmacist to recommend an alternaive.

 

It may seem like nothing to throw a couple pills and coffee together but be careful with this, please! 

 

 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,656
Registered: ‎03-19-2010

Re: Excedrin products discontinued


@LindaSal wrote:

Somehow I wonder if they would actually break down the same in the body.  You know a pharmacist told  me once that taking 3 tablets of 200mg advil will NOT have the same affect as taking one prescription 600MG ibuprofen.


I'm not getting up at 4:00 am to mix up headache medication.  At that time I'm trying to be quiet so as not to disturb anyone, and if it's bad enough to get me out of bed, I'm starting to get nauseous too, and I don't drink coffee.  It might be easy to find the exact mg of Acetaminophin and Aspirin, but not sure where you would find exactly 65 mg of caffeine.  

 

Lucky for me, at least for the short term, hubby just came home with two bottles.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,522
Registered: ‎06-09-2014

Re: Excedrin products discontinued

@Icegoddess  According to the Pharma newsletters, GlaxoSmithKline which makes Excedrin is voluntarily stopping it temporarily to get their production line back in balance with the weights and measurements.  We've seen nothing yet about complete discontinuation nor would I expect they would ever pull such a profitable product.  

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,003
Registered: ‎07-21-2015

Re: Excedrin products discontinued


@Icegoddess wrote:

@LindaSal wrote:

Somehow I wonder if they would actually break down the same in the body.  You know a pharmacist told  me once that taking 3 tablets of 200mg advil will NOT have the same affect as taking one prescription 600MG ibuprofen.


I'm not getting up at 4:00 am to mix up headache medication.  At that time I'm trying to be quiet so as not to disturb anyone, and if it's bad enough to get me out of bed, I'm starting to get nauseous too, and I don't drink coffee.  It might be easy to find the exact mg of Acetaminophin and Aspirin, but not sure where you would find exactly 65 mg of caffeine.  

 

Lucky for me, at least for the short term, hubby just came home with two bottles.  


@Icegoddess  Costco has it on their website and it's not a "member only" item - therefore anyone should be able to order it.  Just sharing in case you need to increase your stash!  I know what it's like to need something for pain and not have it available.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,039
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Excedrin products discontinued

Luckily I bought a bottle of 200 tablets a couple of months ago. So I'm good for a while.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,128
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Excedrin products discontinued


@Laura14 wrote:

@froggy wrote:

It's just a combination of acetamenophen, aspirin and caffein. Why don't you just buy generics of the ingredients and combine them yourself?


OMG please do not do this.  This just sent chills up my spine as a CPh. 

 

Please understand that OTC medication can and will kill you just as well as the prescription stuff or cause you bodily harm especially when you go off use like this. 

 

Anything sold OTC this has been safety tested in the correct dosage and preparation delivery system along with potential side effects and the effects of all three together by the company under the FDA oversight. Use generic if you have to or ask your pharmacist to recommend an alternaive.

 

It may seem like nothing to throw a couple pills and coffee together but be careful with this, please! 

 

 


Excedrin Migraine is OTC. If you take the same dosages of generic acetaminophen, aspirin and caffeine it is no more dangerous than the name brand. No one should take anything Willy-nilly, e.g., throwing a couple pills together.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,522
Registered: ‎06-09-2014

Re: Excedrin products discontinued

[ Edited ]

@froggy  It actually can be for a variety of reasons. 

 

Just be careful.  You never know if what is on the label of whatever it is you are throwing together is actually there in the right dose, effectiveness, or delivery system for what you are trying to medicate. 

 

Or it could have inactive ingredients that when combined with others in off label use like this may cause you a problem.  No drug is 100% pure.  They are all combined with something to hold them together, dissolve, deliver, etc. especially tablets.  You could unintentionally cause yourself a reaction.   

 

Stick with generic prodicts already combined.  They've already been tested safe and effective. 

Highlighted
Valued Contributor
Posts: 973
Registered: ‎08-20-2014

Re: Excedrin products discontinued


@FLgardener wrote:

Oh, my!!! If they take Excedrin and the generic brands of it off the market, I am royally screwed. Excedrin has saved me from migraines, scoliosis-related pain and every other kind of pain I have due to a long career in landscaping.

 

You know what--I am going to stock up, just in case. I could not live without this. I have taken it regularly for many years and have excellent blood labs.


Scoliosis pain?  Ohh I've got to stock up.  What type of Excedrin to you tke for it, may I ask?