Honored Contributor

Re: Excedrin products discontinued

@AuntG wrote:

@froggy wrote:

It's just a combination of acetamenophen, aspirin and caffein. Why don't you just buy generics of the ingredients and combine them yourself?

====

Oh sure, I'll grab my mortar and pestle each morning and whip up a batch! And to think they took it off the market because of inconsistent manufacturing processes.

@AuntGyou do realize that you don't really mix anything up right?  You just take a combination of pills and drink a cup of coffee.    

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  I wasn't going to answer this since I think it is fully explained elsewhere (thank you @Icegoddess for giving a great example in addition)  but since others have also commented about what the big deal is, this is my final advice on this topic.  Take it or leave it. 

As someone who is literally certified in pharmaceuticals, I am passing along to all of you that there is a reason why any medication you open has "USE AS DIRECTED" on all of its info sheets. 

At its most basic, it is because that usage is what the company along with the FDA knows to be safe and effective for the stated purpose after extensive testing that has gone on for years.  

If you go off label and combine any drug with another and /or yet another substance which has not been tested and vetted, will you be okay?  Probably.  Could you not be?  Absolutely.  You're playing with your health is the message here.

There is a reason there are now warnings about liver damage with certain pain relievers because people and doctors were not following directions on these "harmless" drugs and, over time, our bodies showed signs of being harmed by that inappropriate usage.

Up to you to do whatever you want to do.  I don't think most physicals include a liver check or any of the other main digestive and circulatory organs that process and excrete drugs like your kidneys and small intestines.

Just have this as a thought in your head is my  only purpose here: 

Just because you don't iniitially feel it, sense it, have a problem with it, etc, doesn't mean it's harmless to you.  It just may be that the damage is being done silently kind of like the bad diet that eventually causes obesity and heart disease. 

And please don't forget, especially for us women, that our bodies change with hormones, pregnancies, disease states, age, body weight, etc. which ALL contribute to how effective or harmful a drug can be to you at any period in time.  The way you metabolize and excrete your medications changes constantly. 

Just be aware, stay safe, and remember there is a reason the Poison Control Center exists and it's not just for kids and pets.  It's for people who accidentally and intentionally mix their meds.   Don't be a caller!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

Check the ingredient label....the Excedrine and Excedrine Migraine are IDENTICAL!!!!!!!!

Yes they are.  In the exact same strengths as well.

Aleve does this too. They sell a "back pain" formula that is identical to regular Aleve.

It's all marketing. 

Trusted Contributor

Haven't read entire thread so forgive me if I'm repeating someone else.  Excedrin migraine has the exact same ingredients as regular Excedrin but costs more.  Just a marketing gimmick. 

My husband gets frequent headaches and while he has prescription medicine, doesn't use it unless it's a very bad one.  He's used the Equate (WalMart) version of Excedrin for years and it works just as well at a much lower price (though I hate giving one cent to WalMart).  Any generic of Excedrin should work just as good as the name brand.

Honored Contributor

@froggy wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

@froggy wrote:

It's just a combination of acetamenophen, aspirin and caffein. Why don't you just buy generics of the ingredients and combine them yourself?

OMG please do not do this.  This just sent chills up my spine as a CPh. 

Please understand that OTC medication can and will kill you just as well as the prescription stuff or cause you bodily harm especially when you go off use like this. 

Anything sold OTC this has been safety tested in the correct dosage and preparation delivery system along with potential side effects and the effects of all three together by the company under the FDA oversight. Use generic if you have to or ask your pharmacist to recommend an alternaive.

It may seem like nothing to throw a couple pills and coffee together but be careful with this, please! 

@Laura14 

???     What exactly do you think could possibly happen? 

For at least the last twenty years every single morning I start my day with 3 extra strength Equate version of Excedrin, one Tylenol and a cup of coffee.  I lay the pills out every night for a quick throw back with water then hit the coffee pot.  No damage that I can see or even in my twice a year physicals but I guess you never know.  I cannot imagine a day without aspirin.

You do know that the Tylenol and cup of coffee just give you extra dosages of the ingredients that are in your Equate don't you? If you take the Equate version of Excedrin extra strength why not save money by buying the Equate version of Tylenol?

Asirin is the least of what you take every day.

I do take the Equate version of Tylenol just did not put the word in that part of the post.  Believe me if there is a generic I am on it. Equate P.M. as well

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@Laura14, no one is talking about willy nilly combining stuff together.  But if you have a product (Exedrin) that contains 250mg of aspirin, 250mg of acetaminophin and 65mg of caffeine already in 1 tablet, there is no difference in taking 1 250mg tablet of aspirin, 1 250mg of acetaminiphin and drinking a cup of coffee with is the equivalent of 65mg of caffeine.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva   Yes there is. If you want to become a certified pharmacy tech like me, you'll learn why in about a year although @Icegoddess did a fantastic job earlier in the thread on part of that complicated answer.

I'm done here, guys.  It's like arguing about jaywalking and using a crosswalk.  Will you be okay if you don't cross in the directed area?  Probably but ask the dead guy who didn't see it coming and became that one.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Laura14  some of us get it! I was going to respond to the diva too, but I figured she might be whipping up a batch of lipstick đź’„ so I'm dropping the matter too.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG Heart

Honored Contributor

For so many decades now being in my late 50's and even still remembering my first headache at the age of five, I always knew I was taking way too much stuff.  But when you are in pain with migraines, sinus headaches, and all the sinus infections I get you do anything and everything.  I remember back in college all of us trying what worked for the other.  I have done baby aspirin as an adult trying to get rid of migraines to tons of Alka Seltzer, pop pop fizz fizz.  All due to helping others in my situation.  I even carried around a magnet in my hand because it helped a friend of mine back in the 90's with her sinus headaches.  I guess we just all try to get through each day as painless as possible. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."