Honored Contributor

Excedrin products discontinued

I just saw on the news that Excedrin Extra Strength and Excedrin Migraine are being discontinued.  Something about inconsistencies in the product.  I just got back from the grocery store but forgot to check for some (and that was before seeing the news article).  I do remember my local Kroger being out of it around the first of the year.  I depend on Excedrin Migraine for my frequent headaches.  

I used to take Darvocets with much success.  Those were the best.  But they discontinued those and nothing else the doctor prescribed for me worked.  Mostly they just made me sleepy.  Did you know you can still feel pain when you're asleep?  Tramadol was a nightmare, and i made the mistake of taking it for the first (and last) time right before getting on a plane.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Excedrin products discontinued

It's temporary.  There is an issue with production methods and, as soon as those are worked out, you'll be stocked again.   

An example of a company doing CYA and making sure their product doesn't negatively affect you.  

Honored Contributor

Oh my!  So sorry.  My headaches used to bring me to my knees.  The dr thought they were genuine migranes, but I found out much later it was stress after I got rid of the source of stress!

No stress, no meds!  Win! Win!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thought I would edit my post since @Laura14  set us straight. Thank you.

Also Amazon has it in stock if you want to stock up or need some now.

Yes I know you still feel pain when sleeping. Years ago I woke up in the middle of the night with severe pain in my right side. Finally had to go to the ER. They thought I was in kidney failure. They ran tests found nothing. They also wanted to do a pap test etc while there. I told them no because I just did that last week. I told them I would go to my doctor for that. My doctor told me to get dressed that I did not need that done again. He said he thought it was a muscle spasm. The ER wanted to admit me for more tests. I was really irritable, mad & just wanted to go home to get some sleep. They would not give me anything for pain since they did not know what the problem was. I went home took a Lortab & went to bed. I still have these spasms all the time but not like that night.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

It's temporary.  There is an issue with production methods and, as soon as those are worked out, you'll be stocked again.   

An example of a company doing CYA and making sure their product doesn't negatively affect you.  

I hope so.  My news report just said "No word on when/if Excedrin Migraine will be brought back."  I remember once when my favorite Pepcid Complete disappeared from the shelves, it was gone for a long time.  I had given up on that coming back.  

Esteemed Contributor

This is very interesting. I am curious to find out which country it is produced in. There have been countless stories of medications being made with harmful ingredients lately, that are produced outside of the US. I believe the majority of medications are no longer produced here, and much more oversight needs to be mandatory to help keep us safe. I hope no one became ill before their discovery, but am glad to see their dedication to the efficacy of their product, whether it was by mandate or not.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Trusted Contributor

Oh, my!!! If they take Excedrin and the generic brands of it off the market, I am royally screwed. Excedrin has saved me from migraines, scoliosis-related pain and every other kind of pain I have due to a long career in landscaping.

You know what--I am going to stock up, just in case. I could not live without this. I have taken it regularly for many years and have excellent blood labs.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I take Excedrin when I get a really bad headache.   Lately I’ve been buying the Walgreen brand which has the same ingredients as Excedrin since I’ve had a hard time finding the Excedrin brand.  Hopefully the generic brands will continue to be available while Excedrin makers work out the problems.  It does seem to take a long time when these things happen. 

Respected Contributor

It's just a combination of acetamenophen, aspirin and caffein. Why don't you just buy generics of the ingredients and combine them yourself?

Esteemed Contributor

@froggy wrote:

It's just a combination of acetamenophen, aspirin and caffein. Why don't you just buy generics of the ingredients and combine them yourself?

Yep.  I mix up my own most mornings if I don't need something stronger.  I actually think the coffee might be the most expensive ingredient, but then I have a thing about coffee.