Honored Contributor

Re: Every person is being asked...

I heard on the news not too long ago that our troop numbers are down. I really think we need them for ""other things"" right now and they need to be ready and available....not sick with Ebola. A little common sense could do wonders here. Someone needs to get a clue .

Esteemed Contributor

I had a very bad bout of, um shall we say "intestinal distress" about two weeks ago and finally gave in and went to see a doctor. Not only did he ask if I'd been out of the country which I have not, but when he looked over my symptoms he did test for ebola along with other things. He told he was going to do this and even asked my permission. I thought it was overkill and am always on red-alert for profiling, but in this case I felt it would be better to know. I live in NY and am around hundreds of people everyday, many of them who do travel overseas.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Respected Contributor

I have been asked if I've traveled out of the country for years--nothing new. I don't find it offensive at all.

A doctor does not diagnose by magic. A doctor looks at what the body is doing and also looks into patient history to get a full picture of what's going on.

I don't understand the paranoia about providing a good personal history.

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

I don't know what type of doctors some of you have. When ever a person complains of fever, stomach distress, diarrhea, chronic cough; every doctor I've gone to or taken my kids to over the past 25 years has ALWAYS asked if we'd been out of the country recently. And it had nothing to do with Ebola.

Honored Contributor

No one seems to have a problem that we're sending our Military over there? What about them? What about their families?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YES, I absolutely DO! This is NOT a protocol for the Military. Absolutely insane.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Trusted Contributor

Nice that they're asking, but this precaution is inadequate, IMO. Anyone can lie. We should have suspended all travel from West Africa months ago, unless travellers went through a period of quarantine before entering our borders.

We should have left "PC" totally behind on this one. I'd feel exactly the same if the current out-of-control epidemic were in Sweden or Australia rather than Africa. Race or ethnicity makes no difference. We need to put medical issues and our health safety first.

Honored Contributor

I went in for my annual on Oct. 7 and I had to go back on October 21st due to a back injury and during the two week lapse time they have started asking questions.

Been exposed;

Been out of the country in the past 21 days;

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

On 10/27/2014 Q4u said:

No one seems to have a problem that we're sending our Military over there? What about them? What about their families?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YES, I absolutely DO! This is NOT a protocol for the Military. Absolutely insane.

Insane? Nope. It's what they do. Proudly.

Respected Contributor

Ever hear of Major Walter Reed?

Honored Contributor

On 10/27/2014 traveler said:

Ever hear of Major Walter Reed?