Honored Contributor

Ever Wonder What Happens When You're 'Under' For Surgery?

**Disclaimer**

**This story involves a PA hospital which had a patient in surgery to remove "an unusual object" from their private area, but is in no way descriptive. Don't click on the link if this topic would bother you.**

To me, the important point is what can happen when a patient is sedated for surgery and would never know.

The hospital was cited because a lot of employees entered the surgery room to take pictures of the patient and disseminated them.

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2017/09/upmc_hospital_cited_for_allowi.html

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Contributor

Re: Ever Wonder What Happens When You're 'Under' For Surgery?

Since I recently had surgery , I don't think I am brave enough to click on.  Smiley Embarassed

Respected Contributor

I agree, it's frightening to know this particular group of "professionals" would behave in such a manner.  I'm hoping this doesn't happen in other hospitals, but I do believe this particular hospital reacted appropriately once they were informed of the incident.  Thank goodness for that one brave soul who spoke up.

Laura loves cats!
Trusted Contributor

Seeing the circumstance, the staff must've been hard pressed not to 'share' the experience they witnessed, i.e. conversationally, but in no way should pictures (to be circulated) have been taken.  Such 'circumstances' have happened since the beginning of time.  But THIS behavior, wow.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Perhaps a bit over a year or two ago I read about a local surgeon and the assisting anesthesiologist who were cited for making derogatory and unflattering comments about a patient who was under anesthesia.   No names were given in the account. Apparently the patient had stuck her cell phone somewhere (in her hair?  Do not really recall), and it was unseen during her procedure as she unintentionally recorded what went on.

Well, a few months ago I was looking at some info on the surgeon who has done two colonoscopies on me, and I discovered that he was the offending surgeon in the case of the recorded procedure.

Gulp.  I've always thought he was a nice enough chap.  My one son was friends with his brother, too, and I knew the surgeon's parents through that relationship.  Hope he never had much to say about me.

Trusted Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Perhaps a bit over a year or two ago I read about a local surgeon and the assisting anesthesiologist who were cited for making derogatory and unflattering comments about a patient who was under anesthesia.   No names were given in the account. Apparently the patient had stuck her cell phone somewhere (in her hair?  Do not really recall), and it was unseen during her procedure as she unintentionally recorded what went on.

Well, a few months ago I was looking at some info on the surgeon who has done two colonoscopies on me, and I discovered that he was the offending surgeon in the case of the recorded procedure.

Gulp.  I've always thought he was a nice enough chap.  My one son was friends with his brother, too, and I knew the surgeon's parents through that relationship.  Hope he never had much to say about me.

I believe you're mixing apples with oranges here.  Things being said about you will happen all the time - everytime - everywhere.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@golding76

I know what you mean!

I always tell my Gastro Dr. when he has me under, that he better not make me cluck like  a chicken while I'm out and then show it to his buddies, LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Oh my. I was under for nearly ten hours one fine day in my life. I hate to even think about what could have happened. Hope not anything bad anyway.

Esteemed Contributor

This is absolutely disgraceful!!!  No, the hospital did not go far enough with the disciplinary action.  Every operating room is supposed to be a sterile environment!  No cell phones, and, certainly no additional unnecessary staff.

Although comments are made during procedures, nothing makes it right.  Taking photos is outrageous!!!  Isn't that what happened to Joan Rivers???

Claiming that a photo was necessary for future medical lectures is ridiculous.  First if all, I doubt the patient gave permission for this!  Secondly, the removal of a foreign object from certain locations is not all that uncommon.  (When one works in urology, not much is surprising.  Sad, but true.)

Honored Contributor

@grandma r

I hear ya'.....I worked in a hospital ER and this kinda stuff coming in was not uncommon.

The rest of your post is on point, IMO!