Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Evaluating Online Health Information, Questions You Should Ask

Evaluating Online Health Information, Questions You Should Ask

Good advice from vaccineinformation.org. 

"• Who manages this information? The person or group that has published health information online should be easy to find somewhere on the page.

• What are the letters at the end of the web address? Government websites end in ".gov" and those ending with ".edu" are run by a university or other educational institution. These are sources that you can usually trust. If you see ".org" or ".com" at the end of a web address, it may also be a trusted site. However, check it closely to make sure.

Who is paying for the project, and what is their purpose? You should be able to find this in the “About Us” section.

What is the original source of the information that they have posted? If the information was originally published in a research journal or a book, they should say which one(s) so that you can find it.

How is information reviewed before it gets posted? Most health information publications have someone with medical or research credentials (e.g., someone who has earned an MD, DO, or PhD) review the information before it gets posted, to make sure it is correct. This information should be noted on the website.

How current is the information? Online health information sources should display a date when the information was posted or last reviewed.

If they are asking for personal information, how will they use that information and how will they protect your privacy? This is very important. Do not share personal information until you understand the policies under which it will be used and you are comfortable with any risk involved in sharing your information online."

Do you ask all these questions before accepting online health information? Or do you do something else? What do you do to protect yourself from bogus health info? Are you concerned about bogus health info?

Do you only listen to your doctor about health topics?

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Re: Evaluating Online Health Information, Questions You Should Ask

My nurse daughter always talks about this kind of thing-looking at the right research and by whom.

It's good information to follow.

I listen to doctors when I go to them.

I like the ones that agree with me lol!

But you know, I like to read even the controversial ones to see what people are talking about.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"