Honored Contributor

Re: Ernie Banks, aka Mr. Cub, Has Passed Away

On 1/24/2015 Chi-town girl said: Yes, very sad news for baseball & the great city of Chicago. Classy guy! Super talented. Loved that era of the Cubs with Ernie Banks, Ron Santo, Glen Beckert, Don Kessinger, Billy Williams.
Absolutely the best!
Contributor

A true blue Cub man. Thanks for the memories! RIP #14
Esteemed Contributor

On 1/24/2015 JeanLouiseFinch said:
On 1/24/2015 Chi-town girl said: Yes, very sad news for baseball & the great city of Chicago. Classy guy! Super talented. Loved that era of the Cubs with Ernie Banks, Ron Santo, Glen Beckert, Don Kessinger, Billy Williams.
Absolutely the best!

RIP Mr Cub! You will be greatly missed. I grew up a Cub fan. He was always upbeat and smiling. A true inspiration.

(remember Rick Monday saving the burning American flag?)

Esteemed Contributor

Husband's favorite player since he was a boy. Banks played with KC Monarchs in his youth. Husband finally met his baseball hero in person twenty years ago -- what a joy for him. Good man who left a great legacy.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Regular Contributor

he was my first sports hero and lucky to have met him in person - he was so friendly and nice. I remember how quick his wrists were and that's how he hit so many homeruns. That's the way to do it without bulking up for power. Simply the best ambassador baseball could have.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/24/2015 brewhaha said:

I bet he's going to play two in heaven. RIP.

Esteemed Contributor

Ernie was my second favorite player in all of baseball (after Jackie Robinson). Growing up a White Sox girl, I always read the box scores to see what Ernie did that day ... not whether the Cubs won or lost.

The Cubs organization is moving his statue to the downtown Daley Plaza, where a memorial will be held later this week.

Honored Contributor

My sports guys are pointing out he was born & raised here in Dallas. Booker T Washington high school...Dallas' Own.

Honored Contributor

Today, on what would have been Ernie Banks' 84th birthday, I watched his memorial service on local Chicago tv. Honestly I would have liked to attend the visitation yesterday, but was unable to get to the city. Former teammates, Billy Williams, Fergie Jenkins, and Lou Brock spoke, as well as Joe Torre and other dignitaries. He certainly was well loved by the entire city, whether you were a Southsider or a Northsider, and a true ambassador of good will and baseball. His teammate and friend, Ron Santo, died a few years ago, but Ron Santo Jr. was a pallbearer. So were Randy Hundley and Glenn Beckert. Poor Glenn Beckert did not look well.