Contributor

Re: Epstein Barr Virus....Chronic Fatigue...Hashimoto's

I like Whole 30.  The Medical Medium is also a interesting read.  I really believe a lifetime of problems often start with Mono when you are a teen.  Also you might try a nutrtionist?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Quse wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

These diseases are all related, my suspicion is you may have some level of autoimmune disease.

I was hospitalized at age 14 (puberty) for several weeks with rheumatic fever, scarlet fever and epstein barr (then still called mononucleosis).

I then came down with hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's) at menopause and was severely sick for five years.  At age 66, just after retirement, I was then diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and now have four other autoimmune diseases, plus severe osteoporosis from genetics as well as prednisone which exacerbated it.  My hands are disabled and I have 10+ compressed vertebrae in my back.  Pain is constant as is extreme fatigue.

I think all of this is linked together.  I am in the process of many tests, including 33 lab tests which took ten vials of blood, an MRI and an ultrasound.  I still have one more extensive test to go, called a Gastrolyzer which is a breath test after complete fasting and takes one to three hours.  This measures the bacteria in my gastrointestinal system.

I will see my gastro doc two days after all of this is done and hopefully he will have some kind of diagnosis for me.

Our symptoms are similar and I believe the Epstein Barr and Hashimoto's was just the beginning of a lifelong fight for health.  We're going on the premise that mine originates in my gut. 

I hope you are taking something for your thyroid, I assume you must be doing so.  Don't rule out your gut being at the source of a lot of these symptoms.  I know mine is, just don't know what or how to treat it, if it turns out treatable. 

There is no "cure" for autoimmune disease, but it can be controlled.

Good luck.

This may get boring to read, but here goes. Technically, autoimmune diseases and chronic inflammatory diseases are related, but not the same thing. Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease, while other forms of arthritis are not, but inflammation is part of them.Epstein Barr virus is part of the herpes family (this is why the Lysine works well, also works well for any nonsense similar: cold sores, even hemmoroids, although not herpes) and herpes develops "pathways" along nerves.(also why B vitamins help) If you get cold sores, etc...they tend to occur in the same areas each breakout bcz of their development along the nerves. If they migrate down a nerve pathway to another area, then a breakout may occur there. The insidious thing about this virus; however, is that once it's in your system, it's pretty much there forever, and systemic, meaning your whole body, although you may only have symptoms that manifest in certain areas.It may lie dormant for a very long time, and then one day, you are overstressed or some other trigger, and it rears its ugly head again. And it feeds on sugar and stress (much like cancer does) because both sugar and stress create inflammation...which can become chronic if you are constantly stressed and/or eating a lot of refined carbs. Reducing the chronic inflammation is key in reducing the symtoms of any of these diseases, both autoimmune and chronic inflammatory diseases. Fish oil helps many people, although purity is of the utmost importance, as high levels of metals like mercury are found in oilier fish. (Tuna, salmon) 

IFOS (International Fish Oil Standards) thru nutrasource.ca is a great resource on fish oils. Tumeric, curcumin are also helpful (however, you have to be careful with fish oil and turmeric or curcumin if you are on blood thinners, as they also act as blood thinning agents)

Two good books I've found helpful are "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" and "Prescription for Herbal Healing"

And yes, your gut is a HUGE part of you overall health. Pre and pro biotics are really good to restore intestinal health, most especially if you do take any pharma drugs. 

I recently was sick and took antibiotics, which threw my intestinal health off and made me feel lousy. I don't eat dairy, so yogurt is not an option. I ate saurkraut instead, as it restores the intestinal flora and within a few days, back to happiness. 

Also, sometimes, if my gut is recovering from a "stomach bug" I use food grade diatomaceus Earth (yes, I drink dirt and it's not nearly as yucky as you think) and it also works magic.

So, sorry so long, but I've been at this a while. Thought I'd share in case it helps.

@Quse

Thanks for this valuable information.  Did you learn this from self research, or from a medical professional?  I will print it out and bring it to my gastro doc at the end of the month when all of my tests are done and results are in. 

I vaguely remember during my own research that autoimmune disease and inflammatory disease are not the same, although they do go together.  I have chronic symptoms and conditions of both.  My quality of life is very poor.  I still eat too much sugar and one of the issues which will be discussed when I see the doc are significant changes in my diet.  He believes in anything in moderation.  I no longer do, and will request that he refer me to a dietitian.  Hopefully I will have the will power to follow a no sugar, no carb diet.  I am 79 and there is already so much I can't eat (meat, dairy, cruciferous vegetables).

Thanks again for your informative post.  I'm happy for you that you are feeling better.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Valued Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@Quse wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

These diseases are all related, my suspicion is you may have some level of autoimmune disease.

I was hospitalized at age 14 (puberty) for several weeks with rheumatic fever, scarlet fever and epstein barr (then still called mononucleosis).

I then came down with hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's) at menopause and was severely sick for five years.  At age 66, just after retirement, I was then diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and now have four other autoimmune diseases, plus severe osteoporosis from genetics as well as prednisone which exacerbated it.  My hands are disabled and I have 10+ compressed vertebrae in my back.  Pain is constant as is extreme fatigue.

I think all of this is linked together.  I am in the process of many tests, including 33 lab tests which took ten vials of blood, an MRI and an ultrasound.  I still have one more extensive test to go, called a Gastrolyzer which is a breath test after complete fasting and takes one to three hours.  This measures the bacteria in my gastrointestinal system.

I will see my gastro doc two days after all of this is done and hopefully he will have some kind of diagnosis for me.

Our symptoms are similar and I believe the Epstein Barr and Hashimoto's was just the beginning of a lifelong fight for health.  We're going on the premise that mine originates in my gut. 

I hope you are taking something for your thyroid, I assume you must be doing so.  Don't rule out your gut being at the source of a lot of these symptoms.  I know mine is, just don't know what or how to treat it, if it turns out treatable. 

There is no "cure" for autoimmune disease, but it can be controlled.

Good luck.

This may get boring to read, but here goes. Technically, autoimmune diseases and chronic inflammatory diseases are related, but not the same thing. Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease, while other forms of arthritis are not, but inflammation is part of them.Epstein Barr virus is part of the herpes family (this is why the Lysine works well, also works well for any nonsense similar: cold sores, even hemmoroids, although not herpes) and herpes develops "pathways" along nerves.(also why B vitamins help) If you get cold sores, etc...they tend to occur in the same areas each breakout bcz of their development along the nerves. If they migrate down a nerve pathway to another area, then a breakout may occur there. The insidious thing about this virus; however, is that once it's in your system, it's pretty much there forever, and systemic, meaning your whole body, although you may only have symptoms that manifest in certain areas.It may lie dormant for a very long time, and then one day, you are overstressed or some other trigger, and it rears its ugly head again. And it feeds on sugar and stress (much like cancer does) because both sugar and stress create inflammation...which can become chronic if you are constantly stressed and/or eating a lot of refined carbs. Reducing the chronic inflammation is key in reducing the symtoms of any of these diseases, both autoimmune and chronic inflammatory diseases. Fish oil helps many people, although purity is of the utmost importance, as high levels of metals like mercury are found in oilier fish. (Tuna, salmon) 

IFOS (International Fish Oil Standards) thru nutrasource.ca is a great resource on fish oils. Tumeric, curcumin are also helpful (however, you have to be careful with fish oil and turmeric or curcumin if you are on blood thinners, as they also act as blood thinning agents)

Two good books I've found helpful are "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" and "Prescription for Herbal Healing"

And yes, your gut is a HUGE part of you overall health. Pre and pro biotics are really good to restore intestinal health, most especially if you do take any pharma drugs. 

I recently was sick and took antibiotics, which threw my intestinal health off and made me feel lousy. I don't eat dairy, so yogurt is not an option. I ate saurkraut instead, as it restores the intestinal flora and within a few days, back to happiness. 

Also, sometimes, if my gut is recovering from a "stomach bug" I use food grade diatomaceus Earth (yes, I drink dirt and it's not nearly as yucky as you think) and it also works magic.

So, sorry so long, but I've been at this a while. Thought I'd share in case it helps.

@Quse

Thanks for this valuable information.  Did you learn this from self research, or from a medical professional?  I will print it out and bring it to my gastro doc at the end of the month when all of my tests are done and results are in. 

I vaguely remember during my own research that autoimmune disease and inflammatory disease are not the same, although they do go together.  I have chronic symptoms and conditions of both.  My quality of life is very poor.  I still eat too much sugar and one of the issues which will be discussed when I see the doc are significant changes in my diet.  He believes in anything in moderation.  I no longer do, and will request that he refer me to a dietitian.  Hopefully I will have the will power to follow a no sugar, no carb diet.  I am 79 and there is already so much I can't eat (meat, dairy, cruciferous vegetables).

Thanks again for your informative post.  I'm happy for you that you are feeling better.

@LilacTree I learned much of this from self research, trial and error on my own body, and talking with others, BECAUSE I wasn't getting information from the medical community. At the time I was diagnosed with Epstein Barr, it was so new that no one knew what to do with it. Later, doctors lumped anyone with fibromyalgia or fatigue into "chronic fatigue" as a catch-all, but they didn't know how to deal with it.
I do have some medical training , and understand the medical terminology, etc...so when I read things, I try to connect dots with what's available medically, what I know from experience and what's used in "Eastern" medical practices. I strongly feel that there is a link to every one of these chronic diseases that is being overlooked.
Doctors are getting better at dealing with these diseases, but there is a long way to go.
One thing I know for certain, sugar is a menace in these infammatory and autoimmune diseases, as they literally feed off of it.  One Oncologist actually told me when my brother was dying of cancer (he was at the end already) that eating, especially sugar in any form, at that point, was just feeding the cancer. 
The technicality of autoimmune versus chronic inflammatory diseases, imho, is just for the medical community's references on how to treat them; however, I strongly suspect that they are intricately linked, and not much different. I think the main difference is in the pharmaceuticals. I may be wrong, but the hard line "autoimmune" diseases seem to have more research behind them, with multiple drugs to treat them, whereas, the "chronic inflammatory" diseases might have a drug or two, but the main focus is lifestyle and mangement.
As far as you cutting down on sugar, you can do it! I never, in a million years, thought I would ever not crave chocolate or sweets, but I can say (without lying) that I no longer crave chocolate and eat very little by way of sweets. My big vice now is potato chips, which are also refined carbs, so they act exactly like sugar with the infammation. Every day, I have to make the decision whether to feel like yuck, or feel better. I would strongly suggest keeping a notebook with you and writing down what you eat, the quantites, how you feel directly after, and the day after...also, what the weather is like, the humidity, etc...how you feel...how much water you drink, any exercise...and how you feel. With each entry, note how you feel. It's a huge pain, but when you go to a dietician, you will be armed with an enormous amount of info to help them help you (and he/she will likely tell you to do this anyway)
Also, it can help you cut down on sugar. When you see exactly how much you're eating, you can choose differently...cut down slowly. (I don;t know if you're like me, but I may be the only person that gained weight at Weight Watchers. As soon as I told myself "you can never eat that again", I went crazy and ate everything. When I tell myself "you can eat anything you want, but you'll have to deal with the consequnces" it works better for me. Going "cold turkey" with sugar would never work for me)
Looking at the diary can help you make decisions about what sugar is "important" to you, and what you might be just eating mindlessly. (ie: I have tried to drink coffee without sugar and coconut creamer. I CAN drink it black, but I don't like it as much. So for me, the sugar in my coffee in the morning is a must, but the muffin later is not.
You will also find that as you cut down on sugar, the less you crave and eat it. Sugar craves sugar. You eat it, then you crave more, then you eat more...and so on. Once you cut down you don't really WANT to eat it.
I wish you good health and better days ahead.

Valued Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@Quse wrote:

@violann wrote:

I absolutely agree that sugar, and really ALL REFINED CARBS, can be the enemy.

I feel MUCH better when I'm eating as low carb as I possible can. I get plenty of carbs from veggies, low carb fruit, and nuts.

@violann I totally agree! And for anyone reading this, thinking, "there's no way I could do that. i love pasta, bread, pastries (whatever) too much", don't think you have to go cold turkey and don't tell yourself that you can never eat ________. Just cut down, see how you feel.

I was the biggest carb/sugar junkie and I thought there would be no way I would EVER cut them out. I still eat bread, pasta, candy, even chips, but I learned what I feel like when I do eat them...and have to be prepared to decide whether it's worth it or not. Once you start feeling better physically, it gets harder and harder for the refined carbs to be "worth it"

+1

I never thought I could give up sugar.  When I did my Whole30 (starting on Halloween 2014), I did it strictly by the book.  I made all my own food for 30 days.  I remember during the last few days asking myself what I wanted to eat on day 31 and there really wasn't anything I missed.  I thought I might miss corn on the cob when summer came, but it didn't even tempt me.  I've thought about making home made pasta a few times, but haven't yet because I know I will probably pass out if I eat a plate of pasta and feel horrible for several days after.

When I travel, I have to eat out most meals unless I can stay at a Residence Inn.  I notice that eating grain fed proteins has an effect on me after 2-3 days of travel.

@VaBelle35 That's awesome! It's funny what you don't miss when you quit eating it (any never thought you could). I can actually go to an ice cream stand with family or friends, not get anything, and be perfectly happy now.
It's freedom, really....

Honored Contributor

@Quse wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@Quse wrote:

@violann wrote:

I feel MUCH better when I'm eating as low carb as I possible can. I get plenty of carbs from veggies, low carb fruit, and nuts.

@violann I totally agree! And for anyone reading this, thinking, "there's no way I could do that. i love pasta, bread, pastries (whatever) too much", don't think you have to go cold turkey and don't tell yourself that you can never eat ________. Just cut down, see how you feel.

I was the biggest carb/sugar junkie and I thought there would be no way I would EVER cut them out. I still eat bread, pasta, candy, even chips, but I learned what I feel like when I do eat them...and have to be prepared to decide whether it's worth it or not. Once you start feeling better physically, it gets harder and harder for the refined carbs to be "worth it"

+1

I never thought I could give up sugar.  When I did my Whole30 (starting on Halloween 2014), I did it strictly by the book.  I made all my own food for 30 days.  I remember during the last few days asking myself what I wanted to eat on day 31 and there really wasn't anything I missed.  I thought I might miss corn on the cob when summer came, but it didn't even tempt me.  I've thought about making home made pasta a few times, but haven't yet because I know I will probably pass out if I eat a plate of pasta and feel horrible for several days after.

When I travel, I have to eat out most meals unless I can stay at a Residence Inn.  I notice that eating grain fed proteins has an effect on me after 2-3 days of travel.

@VaBelle35 That's awesome! It's funny what you don't miss when you quit eating it (any never thought you could). I can actually go to an ice cream stand with family or friends, not get anything, and be perfectly happy now.
It's freedom, really....

Ha!  So true.  There is this wonderful gelato place near my salon and about a week before I start thinking that I might get some gelato on Saturday and then I pass the place and never stop and forget about it.  A lot of times, the actual idea of it sounds better than the reality now.  I can take or leave a lot of things.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@Quse

I'm starting a new post, but it's another response to your latest.  I copied your post to Word so I could print it out and bring it with me to my gastro doc appointment at the end of the month.  I've been going to him for almost 30 years, as I used to have a battle with diverticulitis and IBS.  I finally had surgery removing six inches of my colon (only to find out just the other day during more research that removal of colon sections can also be the cause of future health issues.)  Sometimes I think I have done more wrong than right in my quest for health.

We never discuss autoimmune disease, although we have discussed my RA from time to time.  He has stopped trying to convince me to take one of the biologics.  He prescribes Humira to his Crohns patients.  My colonoscopies show no Crohns. 

My daughter who has chronic Lyme disease (another serious illness not recognized by the medical and insurance communities . . . or the government which will not approve disability for her) is convinced the whole merry-go-round starts with Epstein Barr (the "link" to which you refer), which every woman in my family, including my daughters has had.  There are similarities with Lyme and autoimmune disease symptomatically as well, although she has a depleted immune system, unlike my autoimmune which is obviously still existing, since it's so good at attacking every part of me.

I did a lot of medical tape transcription years ago when I was working full time but needed the extra money.  I typed reports for a nephrologist, a podiatrist, and a cardiologist, and in so doing learned a lot about medical terminology along the way.  I enjoyed it, but would be up to 11 PM several nights a week and then up at 7 AM to go to my full time job.  Once I started making more money at my full time job, I let it go.  I think had I the opportunity, I would have gone to school and into the medical profession, as I have always been fascinated by it.

My Google search denies a sugar/cancer connection as a "myth" causally, although if one already has cancer, it can cause tumor growth, as your brother's oncologist told you.  I have no idea what I have yet, but cancer has occurred to me. 

I have no problem with salt and never use it, nor do I crave salty foods.  I do have a sugar problem and that will be enough to deal with.  I do not have a weight problem though because I am a very picky and small eater otherwise.  That's not necessarily good because my stomach, perfectly flat in the AM, can bloat up to looking six months pregnant on a piece of toast, which kills my appetite.  Obviously that's part of what's wrong with me.

Once I am diagnosed, I will start with the daily diary, that is a good idea. As you said, the dietitian will probably recommend that anyway.

As far as coffee, I seldom drink it and when I do it's decaf with no sugar.  I do use a little almond (or coconut or pecan) milk or other non-dairy creamer when I do drink it.

This has been a good conversation, Quse, and I appreciate your interest and knowledge.  Thank you again.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

Hi @tsavorite. I had a life-threatening case of infectious mono when I was 21. Life-threatening because I spiked a fever of 106. I was immediately put on prednisone in the ER and my fever plummeted within 24 hours. I had symptoms secondary to the infectious mono -- hepatosplenomegaly (dangerously enlarged liver and spleen, so much so, the organs were protruding from my side), jaundice (my skin and the whites of my eyes were yellow). and lymph nodes so swollen that my neck looked like a tree trunk. It took me a full month before I could get back to work. I lost 40 pounds in that time.

I truly believe that the illness wreaked havoc on my immune system and I sense I have never been quite right since in that I have many sensitivities and a low-level fatigue.

I have improved the way I feel by limiting stress -- I meditate towards that end and have learned not to sweat the small stuff. I cleaned up my diet.  Like @Quse, I used to be a carboholic; now, I limit carbs to one meal a day and this has made a significant difference in the way I feel. I take vitamins and supplements... and probiotics, which is critically important to gut health, which is at the root of many illnesses and disorders.

I'm sorry you're going through this tough time. One thing I have said before here.... I do not trust doctors. I stay away from Rx meds, but if I have ever had to take one, I research it thoroughly rather than blindly taking it on my doc's say so. You might want to find a holistic doctor to help you figure out what to do.  All my best.

Respected Contributor

@Quse wrote:

@tsavorite wrote:

Thanks for the replies.....I was thinking of looking into the Lysine and a few other supplements to address the EBV specifically.  From what I have found online natural path doc's do recommend this and it is safe enough to try and see if it helps.

Fortunately I don't take much by way of prescription meds.....my thyroid meds are really it....and antihistamine once daily for allergies.  My doc gave me a script for blood testing called ImmunoCap....seems like a good idea.  This can help me with food allergies too.

@tsavorite Lysine has helped me. It's pretty benign as a supplement goes, not like some vitamins that can be dangerous if you take too much. When I get run down, I up my intake of it until I feel better. I feel  better faster when I take it than when I don't.

Quse....thanks for all the replies to this topic....really took off and I finally got a chance to read thur them all.  I was wondering if you could tell me how much l-lysine you take daily to keep this EBV in check.  

I did read that fish oil (recently purchased Lessman's as a TSV HSN) and today picked up 25mg's of zinc and organic coconut oil.  I normally take my d3....calcium...k2 daily for my bone health.  My d3 was 67 so good on that front.  

Someone posted about b12 I think....I take that....and mine was 836.....also I take it either as a supplement or in my protein drink.  

My sister was 18 when she got EBV...very bad strep with it....and 1yr later MS...a very very bad onset case.  My Mom and I have always believed this EBV caused her to come down with MS.  They did treat her with penicillin and she had a horrible allergic reaction.  Then the numbness/tingling....months later.  

From what I have read online just about everyone is exposed to EBV...some like myself get a bad case reaction from it and others don't even know they ever had it.  I had the horrible strep throat...inflamed spleen was out of HS for 6weeks and then couldn't play any contact sports or do gym class for months.  

I am sure eating better....getting sugar out of my diet will help with many things....I will do my best in cutting down and have been for a good while now.  

Thanks for all the info and replies to all the ladies posting here....

Respected Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

@Hi @tsavorite. I had a life-threatening case of infectious mono when I was 21. Life-threatening because I spiked a fever of 106. I was immediately put on prednisone in the ER and my fever plummeted within 24 hours. I had symptoms secondary to the infectious mono -- hepatosplenomegaly (dangerously enlarged liver and spleen, so much so, the organs were protruding from my side), jaundice (my skin and the whites of my eyes were yellow). and lymph nodes so swollen that my neck looked like a tree trunk. It took me a full month before I could get back to work. I lost 40 pounds in that time.

I truly believe that the illness wreaked havoc on my immune system and I sense I have never been quite right since in that I have many sensitivities and a low-level fatigue.

@I have improved the way I feel by limiting stress -- I meditate towards that end and have learned not to sweat the small stuff. I cleaned up my diet.  Like @Quse, I used to be a carboholic; now, I limit carbs to one meal a day and this has made a significant difference in the way I feel. I take vitamins and supplements... and probiotics, which is critically important to gut health, which is at the root of many illnesses and disorders.

I'm sorry you're going through this tough time. One thing I have said before here.... I do not trust doctors. I stay away from Rx meds, but if I have ever had to take one, I research it thoroughly rather than blindly taking it on my doc's say so. You might want to find a holistic doctor to help you figure out what to do.  All my best.

WOW SaRina!!! this virus truly can be a nightmare.....I was bad but not that bad....so many yrs ago for me and I also have never had good energy level....low engery would best describe me with spurts of high.  No amount of working out has changed this.

Valued Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@Quse wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@Quse wrote:

@violann wrote:

+1

It's freedom, really....

Ha!  So true.  There is this wonderful gelato place near my salon and about a week before I start thinking that I might get some gelato on Saturday and then I pass the place and never stop and forget about it.  A lot of times, the actual idea of it sounds better than the reality now.  I can take or leave a lot of things.

Funny you mention gelato. A while back I "discovered" Talenti gelato, I think it was double chocolate or something..was so delicious at the time. I noticed almost instantaneously after eating it, I had joint pain, like arthritis in my hands (all over really, but most noticeable in the hands). I did a little experiment by eating it several more times, you know, for research (wink wink) but each time I had the same response. I'm not even tempted to purchase it again bcz I remember how bad the pain was and how it made me feel after eating it.