Esteemed Contributor

Re: Epstein Barr Virus....Chronic Fatigue...Hashimoto's

[ Edited ]

@Quse wrote:

I had Epstein Barr when I was younger and have battled chronic fatigue, joint/muscle pain my whole life. Chronic fatigue is difficult to diagnose, I'm not sure there is an actual test for it. I always thought it was more of a catch all when the doctors don't know what else to call it.

I've never tried a Naturopathic doc, as there aren't any near me, but what has made the biggest differences to me are lifestyle changes and some supplements. Most of these syndromes feed off of stress and sugar and cause systemic and chronic inflammation in the body. Cortisol gets released and makes the situation worse.Stress can be anything from what you typically think of (job, kids, etc) or things like you're too hot, too cold, workout was too intense...

I systematically learned to tune into my body's reactions to pretty much everything. I used to work several jobs, school, etc...burned the candle at both ends, the middle...the whole candle was in flames. I was also a sugar junkie, vascilating from sugar to salt.

I had to learn to balance my life drastically, most by trial and error. I cut down on sugar and eventually have gotten to the point where I don't eat much of it (that includes very starchy vegetables and limited nightshades like peppers and tomatoes) I learned to say no, and when I'm tired, I stop and rest. I stopped beating the tar out of my body in the gym and exchanged my routine to more walking (also relaxes), lighter weights, pilates..instead of running, stairmaster, heavy weights.

I have to sleep at the same time and for a certain number of hours. Lysine, Coq10, Magnesium and B vitamins have helped. 

Mainly, for me, I discovered it was the sugar. I realize now that it's cause and effect: when I eat sugar my joints and muscles WILL hurt and I will feel fatigued. 

A Naturopath may help, if you are fortunate enough to have one near you. Mainstream docs want to medicate you mainly. 

Learning to tune into your body helps. If you can, get a small book that you can carry with you and write down what you eat, what you do, how you feel, the weather and how your body reacts to xyz. It may seem daunting but worth it. You may have a pattern that you never knew about until you see it in writing.

@tsavoriteThis is a very wise post @Quse.  I agree with everything you wrote - I have experienced many of the same things.  Having had EBV 30 odd years ago and Hashimotos for 6 or 7, I feel for the OP.  I also found sugar to be poison for me.  Luckily, I don't crave it and never have.  If I eat one small piece of candy, I will pay the next day with joint pain.  Weather is another factor you might want to keep track of.....barometric pressure, etc and pain levels.  As far as the EBV, this was so long ago and I was seeing a conventional doctor at the time.  They gave the same advice - rest.  I did a lot of reading and found that vitamin c will work against/kill ? this virus.  I took ALOT of it and it knocked it out of me.  I don't have fatigue, even with the Hashimotos.  I would look for a naturopath or at least, a progressive, open thinking clinic.  Perhaps vitamin C IV's would benefit you.  I go to a clinic that gives an injection called GABY.  I am not sure of all that is in it, but glutathione and B complex vitamins are.  I take the same supplements that you suggested plus many more.  Two in particular for thyroid health are tyrosine and iodide.  I don't believe there is an actual lab test for CFS, but rather certain pressure points on the body that are painful.  There is a scoring system that perhaps you could find on line. 

I wish you all the best with this journey.  You have to put the work into it to find something that makes life pleasureable again.  With the help of the right person, you will reach this place.  The suggestion for keeping track of diet, etc. is a good place to start while you are searching out a health practitioner.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Valued Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

@tsavorite wrote:

Ok another question....do you take lysine with food or on empty stomach? and did you take the entire amount whether it is 1000mg's or 2000mg's all at same time or split up??

Anyone know the answer fo this question??? I keep finding conflicting advice online with this.

@tsavorite Sorry, I lost track of this thread.

I usually take the lysine with food, but only bcz I keep the bottle on the table to remind me. I have taken it on empty stomach, didn't bother me. The tablets I take are 1000mg each, so if I take 1, I usually take it in the morning with breakfast, no reason. If I'm run down, I usually take 1000 mg for breakfast, lunch and dinner with the meals. Like I said, I only do this bcz the bottle is sitting there staring at me, not bcz I need to take it with food.

Some people take 500mg lysine pills throughout the day...needing more or less for their bodies. You have to find what works for you.

Valued Contributor

Someone mentioned glutathione and I just remembered a supplement that I used to take called Max GXL and worked for me as far as energy...in fact, when I took the supplements as they directed, I actually had TOO much energy...it annoyed me so I scaled back, taking it only in the morning.

I stopped taking it bcz it's one of those network marketing things that truly annoy me and the woman that got me into it started annoying me too. Last time I got it, I just bought some on Amazon. 

I can't guarantee you'll get the same results, and I'm skeptical of the company's "science", but I did have annoying amounts of high energy...without jitters.

Respected Contributor

@Quse wrote:

Someone mentioned glutathione and I just remembered a supplement that I used to take called Max GXL and worked for me as far as energy...in fact, when I took the supplements as they directed, I actually had TOO much energy...it annoyed me so I scaled back, taking it only in the morning.

I stopped taking it bcz it's one of those network marketing things that truly annoy me and the woman that got me into it started annoying me too. Last time I got it, I just bought some on Amazon. 

I can't guarantee you'll get the same results, and I'm skeptical of the company's "science", but I did have annoying amounts of high energy...without jitters.

Thanks Quse for the feedback....I looked up this product and it is made from shell fish....I believe I have allergy to that and avoid it.  Tried Glucosmin & Chrondrotin supplements a while back and had reaction....took me awhile to realize it may be that these are made from shell fish.  In a few weeks I will have that bloodwork done which will reveal if I am correct for sure or not.

I started out taking the lysine capsules/NOW brand at 2000mg's 2 times per day...empty stomach as I found lot's of info that seemed to suggest this is best...just took awhile of going on different forums for everything from lyme disease to all kinds of herpes type outbreaks.  It's easy to do....don't know if it's helping or not but not feeling worse....that could be from the change in my thyroid medication too for all I know.

I am sure in the next month or so ahead it will be more clear.

Thanks for all your help!

Valued Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

@Quse wrote:

Thanks Quse for the feedback....I looked up this product and it is made from shell fish....I believe I have allergy to that and avoid it.  Tried Glucosmin & Chrondrotin supplements a while back and had reaction....took me awhile to realize it may be that these are made from shell fish.  In a few weeks I will have that bloodwork done which will reveal if I am correct for sure or not.

I started out taking the lysine capsules/NOW brand at 2000mg's 2 times per day...empty stomach as I found lot's of info that seemed to suggest this is best...just took awhile of going on different forums for everything from lyme disease to all kinds of herpes type outbreaks.  It's easy to do....don't know if it's helping or not but not feeling worse....that could be from the change in my thyroid medication too for all I know.

I am sure in the next month or so ahead it will be more clear.

Thanks for all your help!

@tsavorite Post an update, if you care to. I'd like to know how you make out.

Hope you start to feel better

Trusted Contributor

I understand how you feel! I was diagnosed with autoimmune hepatitis in the fall, I have been through three doctors till I found one who knows and understands this disease. I suffer from fatigue, joint pain and awful brain fog. I started very aggressive medications about three weeks ago, it has effected every aspect of my life. Insomnia, depression, fear, inability to work like I use to....I have loss interest in many of the things I once enjoyed. I barely sleep, worry constantly. I still don't know what is my underlying disease that brought on the hepatitis and have been working with a rheumatologist and heptologist....first they thought rheumatoid arthritis and now they think it's Lupus. I have my parents that I am trying to help take care of, trying to work but not doing a good job of it, spend several hours a day in a haze. I hope you feel better soon.