Esteemed Contributor

Hi Everyone:  For those suffering from episodic cluster headaches, the FDA has some news, which may apply to you.

FDA approves first treatment for episodic cluster headache that reduces the frequency of attacks

June 04, 2019:  The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved Emgality (galcanezumab-gnlm) solution for injection for the treatment of episodic cluster headache in adults. 

“Emgality provides patients with the first FDA-approved drug that reduces the frequency of attacks of episodic cluster headache, an extremely painful and often debilitating condition,” said Eric Bastings, M.D., deputy director of the Division of Neurology Products in the FDA’s Center for Drug Evaluation and Research.

Cluster headache is a form of headache that produces extreme pain and tends to occur in clusters, often at the same time(s) of the day, for several weeks to months. The headaches are accompanied by symptoms that may include: bloodshot eyes, excessive tearing of the eyes, drooping of the eyelids, runny nose and/or nasal congestion and facial sweating. Some people experience restlessness and agitation. Cluster headache attacks may strike several times a day, generally lasting between 15 minutes and three hours.  Etc, etc, etc.

[For the entire announcement, please reference:  (You will not be able to click on the site below, so highlight and copy.)]

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-approves-first-treatment-episodic-cluster-he...

Honored Contributor

Re: Episodic Cluster Headaches

@sfnative 

Thank you for posting this.

After seeing your post I did some research, and this type of headeache sounds very much like what I’ve been experiencing.

Trusted Contributor

@sfnative  Thank you so much for posting this.  My husband has suffered from these headaches for many years.  Sometimes he's lucky enough to make it through almost a year without them, but they usually always seem to come back in full force around March.   His neurologist once told him that they are nicknamed "suicide headaches" and I understand why after seeing him go through them.  I used to have migraines a lot before menopause and thought those were awful...they're nowhere near as bad as clusters.

I will be sure to print this form him so he can talk to his neurologist at his next appointment.

Honored Contributor

Isnt Emgality the same med as Aimovig, my friend tried it for several months, did nothing to help her terrible migraines. She ended up trying Botox, and it has given her much relief. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

Isnt Emgality the same med as Aimovig, my friend tried it for several months, did nothing to help her terrible migraines. She ended up trying Botox, and it has given her much relief. 

@Shelbelle 

It's different - just released for rx to patients - specifically for cluster headaches, which are different than typical migraines, for which Botox has helped some.

Esteemed Contributor

@lkat wrote:

@sfnative  Thank you so much for posting this.  My husband has suffered from these headaches for many years.  Sometimes he's lucky enough to make it through almost a year without them, but they usually always seem to come back in full force around March.   His neurologist once told him that they are nicknamed "suicide headaches" and I understand why after seeing him go through them.  I used to have migraines a lot before menopause and thought those were awful...they're nowhere near as bad as clusters.

I will be sure to print this form him so he can talk to his neurologist at his next appointment.

@lkat 

Sometimes I wonder why physicians who have a specific cohort of patients with, in this instance, cluster headaches, don't have one of their medical assistance get on the phone to these patients to advise them of a new drug release, schedule an appointment, etc., but I've never known that to occur.  Otherwise, patients simply continue to suffer like heck.  It's beyond sad.  It's ludicrous.  I hope your husband can get some positive action out of his neuro.

Regular Contributor

@sfnative Thank you for posting this info. My husband has suffered with these cluster headaches for years as well. He gets them about an hour after he has been asleep and they last about 20 minutes. He finally found a medicine that helps him but maybe he can discuss this injection with his neuro when he sees her next.