Valued Contributor

Re: Epidural shots for lower back pain

@texassunflower wrote:

@docsgirl Did you ever have the epidural for your back pain? Mine is scheduled for November 6 and I am thinking about calling it off. I am a nervous wreck about it. I am not in constant pain and don't want to be. If I watch how long I sit, I do pretty well. I would like to hear back from you about your epidural and how it went.

@texassunflowerI had an appointment for the epidurals and cancelled as I heard too many negatives about them.  By some miracle I have very little pain anymore.  My pain was beyond excruciating and constant.  Now, I very rarely have it.  When I do, I take a Motrin and it goes away.  I do not feel I need to take the shots at this point in time and hope I never will.  I have lumbar stenosis and some discs that are out of alignment.  Even if you decide to cancel, if you feel the need at some later date, you can always call for an appointment.  I'm glad you are feeling somewhat better.

docsgirl

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@texassunflower wrote:

I see pain management for a bulging disc at  L4-5 and a herniated disc at L5 -S1. The herniated disc has healed but the disc is compromised. I have Tramadol for pain and usually only take it once or twice a week. Last weekend, I tweaked my back and have had to take it daily. Sometimes I take more than once a day. I will need to get an appointment with pain management but I am pretty sure he will recommend an epidural for the burning pain at base of spine. I have avoided having one so far but I don't like taking all this pain medication. I know there are several people here with bad backs. I would like to know do the shots work and for how long? I am apprehensive about an epidural but really don't want to depend on pain medication to get through the day.

@texassunflower 

I used to get epidurals every 6 months or so for about 4 years.    My MD was the top guy at Cedars Sanai Pain Management and really was very good.  Having said that, some shots lasted longer than others.    

At this point, it's been about a year since my last shots .... I just haven't needed them.  I can now get by on Aspercreme and tylenol.  Hopefully, that won't change.

Some people can take the shots fully awake, but I needed to be put under.   My suggestion is try them at least twice.    Even if they reduce your pain by only 50% .... isn't it worth it? (I couldn't tell from your post why you're so reluctant.) 

One more thing ..... please be sure you're aware of how much your insurance will -- or won't -- cover.   It can be a pricey procedure, depending on the usual variables.  I had an anesthesiologist as well, so that also made a difference.   Bottom line .... I was very glad I had them.

Uh, one more thing .... have you discussed cortisone shots with your doctor?

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44  I am always nervous about any medical procedure. Fear of the unknown. Most of the time I can get by with anti inflammatories and Gabapentin. The doctor uses twilight sedation. I have to have a driver. This is second day off anti inflammatories and they help more than I previously thought. It is my understanding that the epidural is cortisone at the site of pain. I can't lay on my back for more than ten minutes and have horrible tailbone pain if I sit for too long. Most of the time, I sit with my foot underneath me. This keeps pressure off my tailbone. I have met my deductible, so the procedure will be reasonably priced. I am a nervous Nellie and a needle hear my spine terrifies me!!! Needless to say, I have never given birth. When I made this appointment I was having pain daily. Now it has subsided some but I make a lot of accommodations for my back pain.

Honored Contributor

@texassunflower 

One more thing I wanted to mention .... if scheduled for an epidural, they always told me to stop aspirin 10 days before the procedure.  Stop taking naproxen (Aleve) 4 days before the procedure.  As for acetaminaphin (Tylenol), no restrictitons; you can take it the morning of the epidural.  I thought the variances were interesting.

Super Contributor

I had may canual epidural injection yesterday. I wasn't prepared  for it. Doctor and NP acted like I would be fine the next day. I came home dizzy from the anthesia. I felt numb through my backside and down my left thigh. I could bear weight on it. I wasn't expecting that and called surgical nurse right away. I was told not unusual and should subsided over course of the day. Midday I really started to hurt at injection site. Took Tramadol and Extra Strength Tynenol and it took the edge off. Called doctor's nurse and she called back by 5:00. Use heat and ice at injection site and take meds as needed. Didn't sleep at all due to steriods. I feel a little better today and have had some sleep finally. I started back on anti inflammatories and I think that helped. No Tramadol yet. I couldn't have worked today and was told repeatedly I could resume normal activities. This is only my third time to have any medical procedure. It's has been at least 15 years. Hopefully, this injection works. Nurse said they are often done in a series of three. I don't think I will be doing this multiple times. I agree to this because I would like to resume more of a normal life. I have to constantly think about where to sit and how long I can sit before pain kicks in. I can walk and stand for long periods for which I am grateful. I have an appointment in 2 weeks with NP. I will address my concerns with her about not be prepared for side effects. I realize everyone responses differently but I think I should have been better prepared.