Honored Contributor

Re: Epidural Cervical Spine Injections

@JeanLouiseFinch

Back in 2006 I had about 3-4 of these injections in my lumbar area. My left hip down to my knee was either in a little pain, sometimes numb. My friend, the Spinal Surgeon, after seeing my MRI told me my L-3 was the problem.

Since I was on Blood Thinners(Coumadin/Warfarin) for my PE(lung blood clots), he wanted to try this in lieu of surgery. It ended with him doing surgery to remove my ruptured L-3 disc.

As for the injections, they helped a little bit, but not as much as I hoped they would. None did anything after a couple weeks.

1) I didn't think the injections hurt

2) It took a few hours, or more, before I could tell anything

3) My longest lasted less than 2 weeks

4) Yes, I ended up having surgery.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Re: Epidural Cervical Spine Injections

[ Edited ]

I ended up seeing a NP at a bone and joint group.  She reviewed my MRI and x-rays with me and explained that my current issue is more inflammation that something that requires surgery right now.  That could be considered down the road if the injections don't work.  I had my first injection Friday morning and it was a breeze.  I had nothing to worry about.  The doctor was great and the procedure was done under x-ray guidance so she could find the exact location.  By Friday afternoon I was already feeling improvement in some areas but still sore in others.  I was told it could take a week for the full effect of the coritisone to kick in so I'm optimistic.  Since I'm having the finger numbness and arm weakness, the doc wants to do a second injection in a few weeks. The only thing I can say is that I wish I pursued this a lot sooner!