Honored Contributor

Re: Endoscopy and Colonoscopy in same day next week.

Hi @MILKI

Nothing you posted was offensive to me. I do disagree on the relevance of having or not having a Colonoscopy performed. I understand from my perspective of being a Patient Advocate on the Heart Floor at my 2nd home, the hospital. Do I work there? No, I however have spent many weeks, a times a month, as a patient and an Advocate.

While you can give them the advice from a professional level, someone like myself can do so from a personal experience perspective, at many appreciate that aspect.

I kinda compare your schooling knowledge and your profession, to what I have stated on this forum, for many years now. I quit high school, so my highest educational level was attaining my GED while serving in the US Army.

While formal education might be necessary for most, I call it "book smart". My education came from living and learning, not from books, but from the way I lived my life. That was alwsys working and always learning, not at a desk, but a an actual job.

Many people looking to have a procedure done, or a major surgery done, get more comfort and assurances from someone that actually has had these things performed on their body, thus why many my being a Patient Advocate.

I very well understand the number of Colonoscopies that cannot be completed, and why. I even had a Lower Double Balloon Enteroscopy that could not be completed. It was not because of "brown thick matter", it was because of "dried blood" from my bleeding right colon. Thus another 2 days in the hospital with blood transfusions, an Iron Infusion, and the ever so tasty gallon of GoLytely.

For myself I was trying to clarify thatbI know many patients get too much information, and a list a mile long of "do's and don'ts", while many makes the procedure look more difficult than in actuality, really is for most.

My reasons for posting here many times is because of my personal experiences with many diffrrent types of procedures/life and death experiences, and throw in about as many athletic injuries a person can suffer.

I have read a lot/ been to many Clinics given by top experts in their fields, and have participated in 2 studies done by Exercise Physiologists. My learning of sports injuries did not come from books, there were none back in the 1960's. Mine came from gaining knowledge/putting each thing in my journal/trial and error, which = lots of injuries. I typed more but it got lost? I just want to add that I believe we have much more in common than we know. I like seeing patients being their own best advocates concerning their health.

Stay well,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Frequent Contributor

Dear Hckynut(John), 

Thank you for your perspective! Like yourself, I too am very much a patient advocate. I  have on many many occasions have spoken up to a physician , especially a surgeon , when it came to defending the rights and wishes of my patients. Being an OR RN for nearly 38years, and spending these additional 6 years working in GI, I have had to learn to develope a hard skin because of my advocacy position for the people I give the very best care I can personally give. 

I , too , have had my share of my own personal colonoscopies from my IBS issues, so I too know all the ins and outs, so to speak. Having worked both in the Hospital endoscopy units, and now, working in an outpatient facility , the level of patients are entirely different . Different how, one may ask? Most, not all, of the inpatient ( in house as we say) are usually much more sicker and truly face a lot of concerning health issues that require them to have much more extensive  type endoscopic and invasive procedures. I was not referring to those patients in my original posting. I am referring to the patient that, although they might have health concerns like, Barrett's esophagus, Crohns, IBS, they are generally healthier than those we treat in house. 

At my facility, we RNs screen each patient carefully for underlying health issues, that could potentially cause more harm than good , and those patients need to have those procedures in a hospital where the needs and means to address those issues that most outpatient facilities do not have, sometimes the difference between life and death, can be treated more successfully.  

We call each and every patient 3 days before any scheduled outpatient procedure and strictly go over each and every detail , hence what was written in my first post. What is still amazing, for a lack of a better term, is that no matter how detailed we are, no matter how many questions we answer, no matter how many classes a patient attends in our office on what to expect on the day of their procedure, no matter how costly it can become, we still will have patients come in, state they are "clear" , only to have the scope entered( colon) , and that thick brown matter that I spoke of, precludes the Gastroenterologists from completing the procedure, hence, INCOMPLETE, come back again, next time do a two or three day prep. 

Nothing is better in the teaching rhelm than that of ones own personal experiences. Having been an RN, actively working her entire 43 years, retiree as an AIr Force Flight Nurse and OR / GI nurse, with 23 years of military service to my country, both active duty and reserves, hopefully, both of us can teach and educate anyone that is interested, in the subjects at hand. No matter how mundane and insignificant these procedures may be to some, these small necessary procedures, can make the difference between living a healthy life  or facing life with colon cancer. I wish you the very best !

MJ

Trusted Contributor

My doctor has us pick up three preps.  He first has us take two Dulcolax pills then a few hours later we have to mix Miralax power with clear soda, clear juice or water then we later have to use a small bottle of Citrate of Magnesea.   It sounds like a lot be its pretty easy to handle and it gently gents the job done.

Honored Contributor

@Danielle46 wrote:

My doctor has us pick up three preps.  He first has us take two Dulcolax pills then a few hours later we have to mix Miralax power with clear soda, clear juice or water then we later have to use a small bottle of Citrate of Magnesea.   It sounds like a lot be its pretty easy to handle and it gently gents the job done.

It doesn't sound like a lot to me. Glad it was easy for you. My Gastro Doctors will not do any Colon Procedure unless their patients drink the 1 gallon of Go/NuLytely. They have had too many Incomplete Colon Procedures when other preps are used.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

Doctor will only give Supprep.... Nasty stuff and hard to get down... Have to do another colonoscopy in 6 months for a polyp hard to remove.... Dreading the yuk of Supprep....

Honored Contributor

Hey @hondagirl,

Is Supprep the stuff where you only drink 16oz. of fluid?  Not much compared to a gallon. Part of the reason I specifically have to drink a gallon of GoLytely each of my 20 procedures, is because my colon bleed is in the Right Co!on. This is the furthest part of the Colon from the point where the scope is inserted.

"Dreading the yuk of Supprep"? I find it better to think positive each gallon I have had to drink, goes down much easier for me.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Hondagirl wrote:

Doctor will only give Supprep.... Nasty stuff and hard to get down... Have to do another colonoscopy in 6 months for a polyp hard to remove.... Dreading the yuk of Supprep....

There has to be a better choice for you, talk to your doctor. I really think some of these doctors are sadists, and have no compassion.  So glad mine is not one of them.

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Hondagirl wrote:

There has to be a better choice for you, talk to your doctor. I really think some of these doctors are sadists, and have no compassion.  So glad mine is not one of them.

Hello @Shelbelle,

Mentioned why my Gastro uses only GoLytely. For my bleeding Right Colon, my doctor told me is the furthest point to reach with a Colonoscopy. That is why I have had 4 Lower Double Balloon Enteroscopies, after first trying a Colonoscopy.

I think for some it has more to do with psychology than physiology. I have always been amazed how much ones mentality effects their physicality.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

The prop I had to use for my colonoscopy was worse than the one I did for colon repair surgery!!!!!