Super Contributor

Re: Endoscopy and Colonoscopy in same day next week.

I am the origianl poster and had my colonoscopy & endoscopy last week.  The Dr. called me last night and said all was good and he has to take out the last polyp in 6 months.  It was large and he was only able to get out half since of the time element.  The polyps are Adenomatuous polyps and may be a precursor to colorectal cancer.  I was pleased with his findings and that there wasn't any cancer found - feeling so lucky right now.  I was also tested for Celiac Disease and that was negative.   The prep was awful but now I know how to better prepare for my next test in 6 months...Thank you everyone for being there and sharing your experiences with me... Huggs!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Celebrate!   You deserve it!

Honored Contributor

@hondagirl

Thank you for taking time to respond. I am sure you are quite happy you had these procedures done, especially since the 1 polyp was/is pre-cancerous. 

Now you have your answers for at least 6 months, and are also more experienced with how you will better prep for the follow-up. You know what to expect and for everyone, that makes a huge difference.

The prep, while bothersome, to me any more is "kinda normal", after 20 gallons.  My best to you,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Frequent Contributor

Hello and Good Morning Everyone viewing this subject! 

I am an Endoscopy RN. I work with 3 Gastroenterologists in the South Sacramento region. My long time profession career path was an OR nurse, and certified by AORN. However, I have been working in Endoscopy since 2011. 

We RNs at my facility are all conscious sedation certified and nationally recognized as sedation certified RNs. We run 3 rooms on a daily basis, performing anywhere from 10-18 procedures per day, with some patients getting 2 procedures performed in one visit, the EGD and the COLONOSCOPY. Most refer to the EGD as the ENDOSCOPY  procedure, however, the word endoscopy is the general term for both procedures, where EGD is the proper name of the endoscopic procedure where a scope enters the mouth, into the stomach, and a COLNOSCOPY, is a DIFFERENT TYPE scope( the scopes are NOT INTERCHANGEABLE , enters through the ****** area to reach the CECUM, for the investigation of colon polyps, diverticulosis, Crohns and IBS, and other LARGE INTESTINE ( only) conditions. 

Our Preps( preparations) vary from physician to physician, and also the instructions can be different from physician to physician. I HIGHLY SUGGEST(!!!!!!) eating light meals ( no corn, watermelon (seeds) , pepper, avoid a lot of protein, for several days up till the day before  your COLONOSCOPY( not the EGD). On the day before the colon scope EAT NO SOLID FOODS AT ALL!!!!!!! Drink a lot of water all through the day and evening to keep as hydrated as possible, especially helps for the IV insertion that will occur for your sedation, Gatorade, Chicken, Beef, Vegetable Broths, Coffee and Tea( no creamer or milk), Popsicles and Jello( can not be red or purple in color and the popsicles can NOT contain ice cream, clear juices( no pulp juices, and drink , drink , drink!! 

If you need to mix your prep, do so and chill in the refrigerator before drinking. I also suggest drinking it through a straw, less likely to mix with your taste buds, and you can get more down , more easily. Follow your GI doctors instructions as to how to take the colon prep, we have our patients take the entire gallon  in 2 divided doses, starting at 6 pm, to finish by 7:30, and the second half at 11 pm, to finish by midnight, and nothing more to eat or drink UNTIL AFTER the procedure is completed. We also have our patients take , not take,  certain meds that they may be on before their procedure, but please check with YOUR DOCTOR PER THEIR INDIVIDUAL INSTRUCTIONS REGARDING MEDS. Also, make sure your physician knows if you are on BLOOD THINNNERS, HAVE A HEART CONDTION BEFORE YOUR PROCEDURE, not on the morning of ! 

Hope this helps!! 

MJ

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I could never drink a gallon of anything that tasted foul, so glad my gastro doc recommends taking citrate mag pills, a lot of pills, 30 to be exact, but a pleasure compared to a ton of a bad tasting drink. My doc also allows a regular breakfast the day before, and a light lunch at noon the day before.

Super Contributor

Doctor would not give me pills.  I did ask for them... The Supprep was very nasty and I had a hard time on the second dose.   Lucky for me the first prep at 5:00pm did a good job and by the time 10:30pm came I was in pretty good shape.  I mixed the prep with ginger ale and tried all I could do to get it down with - juice, gum, lemon, hard candy,  etc.  The first couple of sips were ok and then when I finally threw up (sorry) I had to stop... The rest of the prep went down the sink and I could not take it anymore.   I was still in the bathroom after midnight and was getting worried I would not get out to get rest...Finally got to bed close to 2AM and had to get up at 5:00 for 6:30am procedure... Really tough morning... Don't know why I can't start prep earlier in the day and at least be done before midnight... Procedure went well.  Now I have to go this again in 6 months to get one more polyp out the dr. had a problem with... OMG... Yuck!!!!

Honored Contributor

@MILKI wrote:

Hello and Good Morning Everyone viewing this subject! 

I am an Endoscopy RN. I work with 3 Gastroenterologists in the South Sacramento region. My long time profession career path was an OR nurse, and certified by AORN. However, I have been working in Endoscopy since 2011. 

We RNs at my facility are all conscious sedation certified and nationally recognized as sedation certified RNs. We run 3 rooms on a daily basis, performing anywhere from 10-18 procedures per day, with some patients getting 2 procedures performed in one visit, the EGD and the COLONOSCOPY.

Most refer to the EGD as the ENDOSCOPY  procedure, however, the word endoscopy is the general term for both procedures, where EGD is the proper name of the endoscopic procedure where a scope enters the mouth, into the stomach, and a COLNOSCOPY, is a DIFFERENT TYPE scope( the scopes are NOT INTERCHANGEABLE , enters through the ****** area to reach the CECUM, for the investigation of colon polyps, diverticulosis, Crohns and IBS, and other LARGE INTESTINE ( only) conditions. 

Our Preps( preparations) vary from physician to physician, and also the instructions can be different from physician to physician. I HIGHLY SUGGEST(!!!!!!) eating light meals ( no corn, watermelon (seeds) , pepper, avoid a lot of protein, for several days up till the day before  your COLONOSCOPY( not the EGD). On the day before the colon scope EAT NO SOLID FOODS AT ALL!!!!!!!

Drink a lot of water all through the day and evening to keep as hydrated as possible, especially helps for the IV insertion that will occur for your sedation, Gatorade, Chicken, Beef, Vegetable Broths, Coffee and Tea( no creamer or milk), Popsicles and Jello( can not be red or purple in color and the popsicles can NOT contain ice cream, clear juices( no pulp juices, and drink , drink , drink!! 

If you need to mix your prep, do so and chill in the refrigerator before drinking. I also suggest drinking it through a straw, less likely to mix with your taste buds, and you can get more down , more easily.

Follow your GI doctors instructions as to how to take the colon prep, we have our patients take the entire gallon  in 2 divided doses, starting at 6 pm, to finish by 7:30, and the second half at 11 pm, to finish by midnight, and nothing more to eat or drink UNTIL AFTER the procedure is completed.

We also have our patients take , not take,  certain meds that they may be on before their procedure, but please check with YOUR DOCTOR PER THEIR INDIVIDUAL INSTRUCTIONS REGARDING MEDS. Also, make sure your physician knows if you are on BLOOD THINNNERS, HAVE A HEART CONDTION BEFORE YOUR PROCEDURE, not on the morning of ! 

Hope this helps!! 

MJ

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@MILKI

How many Colonoscopies have you had to this date? Separated your long sentence to make it easier for me to read. I like using paragraphs myself. My eyes are old and words run together without  sentence break.

After reading everything you typed, I am happy to have had plenty of personal experience with different types of scopes used to check the colon. Have have several old time Sigmoidoscopys/lots od Colonoscopies, and 5 Double Balloon Enteroscopies.

Reading your post my thought was "yikes"!  Fortunately I know how to prepare for the above procedures that I mentioned, and have had over the last 8+ years. Were I too have read and tried to understand "why all of this" for a pretty simple and straight forward procedure?

Lots of stuff in your post, but very little I have used in my 20+ scopes I have had put "you know where".

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I had the first one ever a few months ago (I turn 70 this year).  There wasn't a lot to it.  I don't have trouble going without eating so that  didn't bother me.  

My friend gave me the idea and I check with the Dr and he said OK.  I got some Campbell's chicken noodle soup and strained it totally 3 times.  Then I added a little water in case there was some thickening in it.  This was to give me some electrolites.

I'd bought jello and stuff but didn't eat any of it, just the watered down soup.  

Everyone has their own ideas on how to do it.  Good luck,  

Frequent Contributor

Hckynut(John)

I am terribly sorry if something I typed was offensive to you or to anyone else that read my post. The number of colonoscopies that  I may have had or haven't had is of no revelance to the post.  I was merely trying to educate anyone who is interested. I can not begin to tell you the number of colon scopes we do that need to be repeated, or are terminated because the patient did not follow their physicians orders. How clean the colon is , is vital, and having an empty stomach for at least 4 hours prior to their procedures are necessary measures that must be adhered to. 

There is a lot of drama when someone takes the prep, thinks they followed the instructions, but their colon is packed with " brown thick matter" and the dr stops the procedure and we , as nurses tell the patient their procedure was INCOMPLETE. I'm happy you have taken the time to have all the necessary procedures that you have had, but please don't discount my knowledge and experience level, in regards to this particular subject. 

Stay healthy!