Valued Contributor

Re: 😲 Elom Musk's brain chip startup....😲

I guess if you know someone who could benefit from this technology or benefit in the future (maybe our grandchildren) you might have a positive feeling about it. 

This brain chip can:

71A30FE9-54C3-48FE-A61F-9A0FB096777D.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Eye-tracking devices already let severely disabled people use a keyboard without having something inserted into one's brain. As long as the user can control where they look, these devices work well for keyboards and similar uses. They won't control an artificial limb, but neither will the current brain chips. That's something that's way in the future.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Everyone interested in learning more about this device should consider using the Brave search engine to look up "Neur-l-nk and monkey brains". Before promoting a device as invasive and as impermanent as this one, much more than a repeated soundbyte from an advertisment for the device is needed. As it is said that "a picture says a thousand words", check out the cool knob-like thing that will protrude from the head of anyone implanted with this device. Imagine someone falling down or accidentally hitting the knob attached to their head which is also attached to their brain, too, even after a potentially "successful" implantation. What could possibly go wrong?

This device requires brain implantation via brain surgery to be performed by a robotic device, and not by a human surgeon. Said robotic device stabs into the brain numerous wires (wires that degrade and that need to be replaced every five years). Many implanted monkeys died or were severely neurologically impaired at UC Davis during the monkey phase of research for this device. Now, human trials are being started. I am praying for those human volunteers. 

Regular Contributor

I think the concept is very interesting and could be extremely beneficial for those suffering with neurological disorders. 

However, I do not approve of Elon Musk's actions in general and how he inserts his personal social and political views into the practices of business he owns. 

While it is his right to institute policy in businesses he owns, I do not trust him at all. He has shown that he inserts his views in places where contracts and orders needed to be followed completely, and forced a different outcome than was wanted. 

His thought processes have been shown to be "unusual", compulsive and unpredictable. He can be eccentric all he wants, but this involves people's lives. I simply do not trust him.

Honored Contributor

OMG---- I am suspecious of any thing he comes up with "for the good of mankind". More for the good of Elon Musk--jerkwad!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Elon Musk is basically running the U.S. space program, created the United States market for electric cars and is doing much good.  He is a genious and has much to contribute.  But I am not ready to let him put anything in my brain.  Afraid about how his brain works sometimes.

Regular Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

Elon Musk is basically running the U.S. space program, created the United States market for electric cars and is doing much good.  He is a genious and has much to contribute.  But I am not ready to let him put anything in my brain.  Afraid about how his brain works sometimes.

I don't agree. He may have a high IQ, but is also on the autism spectrum and may have savant abilities. He is given credit for a lot of the things you mentioned, but he didn't not create any of them. He bought all the companies with family money and is running them. Some successfully, some not. He is an oligarch, and is trying to use his money and power to influence outcomes of things he has no buisness being involved in. He is no better than other mega-rich men who are hungry for more power and influence. And of course, more money.

Respected Contributor

musk is being investigated for his claim that no monkeys were killed in the trial of this contraption.  Indeed, the charge is that not only have monkeys died but that they were horribly tortured.

Esteemed Contributor

@NigelSparkles wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

I don't agree. He may have a high IQ, but is also on the autism spectrum and may have savant abilities. He is given credit for a lot of the things you mentioned, but he didn't not create any of them. He bought all the companies with family money and is running them. Some successfully, some not. He is an oligarch, and is trying to use his money and power to influence outcomes of things he has no business being involved in. He is no better than other mega-rich men who are hungry for more power and influence. And of course, more money.

@NigelSparkles   

As I said, I wouldn't trust Elon Musk with my brain. 

But with regards to space, U.S. astronauts travel to the international space station via SpaceX's Crew Dragon capsule.  I am not aware of any one else in the United States taking people to space, but, if you are, please do share.  Musk founded SpaceX in 2002.  SpaceX now accounts for more than 60% of satellite launches WORLDWIDE.  Its satellites provide internet access throughout Earth. 

And Elon Musk, while not the founder of Tesla, it was only after he took control of the company that it started delivering electric vehicles in 2008, and Tesla is now the largest EV manufacturer in the world.  You can look it up.

He has other accomplishments and failures, but I only addressed these 2.  Yes, he inherited family money, but he has done a lot with it, more than most people.  And he took his earnings from the sale of Paypal (he owned less than 12 percent of the company) to ebay to found Space X and acquire a controlling interest in Tesla.  Pretty impressive to me.

And I have no prejudice against people on the autism spectrum, whether he is, or not, which I don't know.

And while the United States has a number of rich people who exert too much influence, I don't think we are at risk of Elon Musk controlling the United States because he doesn't seem to have the skills to use his influence effectively.  I do think he likes to keep his money.

I do think the United States government should do its own investments in science and technology, which helped our country become the global powerhouse that is is in the 20th century, instead of leaving this to erratic people like Elon Musk and Mark Zuckerberg.

Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I think Musk should be the first guinea pig...

@Desertdi 

And who would monitor his brain chip?