Valued Contributor

There is a milk brand called RealLife that is lactose free, lower carb and higher protein.  I bought it for when my Mom was visiting but found that I liked it so much I buy it for my family as well.

Trusted Contributor

@granddi wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

I'm not allergic but dairy pushes my sugar numbers way up very quickly because of the natural sugars in it so I've given up drinking milk (although will use about 8 oz fat free when my numbers drop too low because its so effective for me) ... no ice cream (even sugar free or no sugars added becaue both have high contents of natural sugars AND I can't tolerate artificial sweeteners at all and won't consume them.  Don't eat cheeze or yogurts anymore either for the same reason.  Hardest of all was giving up ice cream!!  

So for those of you that don't eat dairy for whatever reason, does this mean eliminating foods that are COOKED with dairy. This could mean any baked goods, creamy sauces, cream of what-ever soup, butter, sour cream?

Sorry to be such as pest about this.........

Yup! No dairy means no dairy in any form. You get used to it-check YouTube and Pinterest for recipes that mimic the mouth feel of cheesy sauces.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Gave it up for ethical reasons in February.  I've made my own almond and cashew milk, but am happy with So Delicious coconut creamer.  I can't taste coconut, it's just a addition as I don't like my coffee black.

Non dairy creamers and whipped toppings still have dairy in them.

I used to love cheese but the thought of it makes me gag now.  I don't do fake cheeses.

@Lucky Charm

I'm so glad I read your post. I went today to get So Delicious coconut creamer -is it the unsweetened vanila coconut milk you got? Or is it an actual "creamer"?

Anyway I found the milk one both refrigerated and just in the baking isle I think and its pretty good.

I am trying not to buy the powedered non dairy creamer cause its bad for cholesterol and I also try not to eat any dairy for ethical reasons too.

So thank you!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay

It's a small one pint container and says coconut milk and then coffee creamer underneath.  Red and white container.

It's a great replacement for me as I used to use true creamer for my coffee and didn't like the taste of soy or coconut milk.  They just didn't cut it.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm

Is it in the refrigerator section?

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Re: Eliminating Dairy

[ Edited ]

@on the bayYes, at places like Whole Foods it's with the creamers and milk.

At my grocery store it's together with refridgerated organic eggs, cream cheese, butter, and things like that.

Esteemed Contributor

For those who like ice cream but can't eat dairy products I found a good substitute (only if you like coconut).  There's a brand made from coconut milk called Coconut Bliss.  I think it's pretty good but all flavors definitely have a coconut flavor too.   

Honored Contributor

I rarely eat cooked foods...but I love "cooking" and make yummy dishes without dairy that are creamy....cashew cream is divine!  Once you begin to explore a "meatless/dairyless" world, you find that instead of giving up, you gain a whole world of new options.

@granddi wrote:

So for those of you that don't eat dairy for whatever reason, does this mean eliminating foods that are COOKED with dairy. This could mean any baked goods, creamy sauces, cream of what-ever soup, butter, sour cream?

Sorry to be such as pest about this.........

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd

Have you tried the plant-based 'cheese' sauce?

Lots of recipes out there if you Google,

but it's basically potatoes & carrots (with spices), blended.

Oh, my, it's good.

Honored Contributor

Re: Eliminating Dairy

[ Edited ]

Sids...we are always on the same page!  Yes, as we know plant based is the road to supreme health and tastiness, as well as compassion.  So many recipes out there (and there are now plant based prepared cheese sauces that are darn good).  These days my diet has become very simple and I'm doing less preparation.  I now enjoy adding herbs to simple fruits and veggies.  This has evolved as my lifestyle.  Sometimes it is a challenge to respond to posts because answers depend on where a person is in this journey of health  and consciousness (no judgment, just an observation).  I often end up writing a thesis when I sense people are really interested moving up the vegan food chain.  ....maybe we should collaborate on a book! LOL!