Regular Contributor

Hi all,

I visit an elderly relative about 3x a year across the country.  When there I cut her hair and attempt to cut fingernails as no one else does it.  The problem is that apparently skin grows on back of the nails and even if I don't cut short, they bleed.

Any suggestions as to how to cut her nails without causing pain would be greatly appreciated.

TIA, Seannie

Respected Contributor

How very kind of you. Maybe soaking the hands in warm soapy water would

soften the skin and nail, or using oil in a soak. This might help the skin to more easily peel away.

Good luck on your mission of loving care.

Honored Contributor

Can she not afford to have someone cut them for her?  I took my father to a licensed medical nail technician every four weeks for several years for his toenails.  She retired, and we will see a Podiatrist next week.  I know there are some medical nail technicians that will come to your home and cut your nails.  An Assisted Living or Nursing Home could give you their information.

I'm not sure you can get this straightened out if they aren't regularly trimmed.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Yes! @IMW is right, it will probably help!  You are a wonderful, kind person to do this for a friend!  Wish I were 1/2 as kind as you and that there were more kind people (like you) in this world.

The main reason I'm commenting is because I just came from getting a pedicure yesterday (I usually go every 2 weeks with granddaughter....it's 'our thing').  

I've watched the professionals.  They soak the feet and hands for a few minutes BEFORE they do anything.  This softens up the skin so it's 'pliable/workable'.  Long ago I asked about this...that's the only reason I know.

I normally don't know zip about such things.  I do know there are many here that are way smarter.

I mainly wanted to tell you how wonderful you are for doing this and to keep the thread 'alive' so other's that can offer more advice might see it.

Take care and have a wonderful rest of the week.  Fondly, Annabelle/Linda

ps I don't know if it's doable (is that a word) but you could purchase some cuticle cream and apply this AFTER you've soaked her hands/nails.  This also will soften up the area you want to work with.  Although, make sure any oils or anything that would make the utensils you are using slippery is removed from the nails BEFORE you start.

Honored Contributor

Re: Elderly fingernails

[ Edited ]

Probably the reason they aren't cut as short as you seem to feel they should be cut is because whoever cares for her knows not to cut them so short they bleed. Elderly people have poor circulation and a cut at the distal end of an extremity can be difficult to heal and may get infected - eventually ending up a very serious situation.Nails should NEVER be cut so short they bleed.

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

Yes! @IMW is right, it will probably help!  You are a wonderful, kind person to do this for a friend!  Wish I were 1/2 as kind as you and that there were more kind people (like you) in this world.

The main reason I'm commenting is because I just came from getting a pedicure yesterday (I usually go every 2 weeks with granddaughter....it's 'our thing').  

I've watched the professionals.  They soak the feet and hands for a few minutes BEFORE they do anything.  This softens up the skin so it's 'pliable/workable'.  Long ago I asked about this...that's the only reason I know.

I normally don't know zip about such things.  I do know there are many here that are way smarter.

I mainly wanted to tell you how wonderful you are for doing this and to keep the thread 'alive' so other's that can offer more advice might see it.

Take care and have a wonderful rest of the week.  Fondly, Annabelle/Linda

ps I don't know if it's doable (is that a word) but you could purchase some cuticle cream and apply this AFTER you've soaked her hands/nails.  This also will soften up the area you want to work with.  Although, make sure any oils or anything that would make the utensils you are using slippery is removed from the nails BEFORE you start.

Annabelle..I think YOU are kind and sweet. What a lovely sincere reply to the lovely sweet OP. 😙

Respected Contributor

Sounds like this elderly person has a condition that is not normal and OP clearly said even if she does not cut them short, they bleed.

I can't emphasize enough though that it should be done medically, too risky otherwise.

What a dear you are OP to care about her!

Honored Contributor

@Seannie

I believe you are talking about the cuticle, yes?

I think several posters are thinking the actual nail plate.

It’s best to push back, but if there’s substantial amt of skin,

it really needs to be trimmed since it will catch & tear. 

Is there a chance she is picking at the skin/hangnails?

Nail maintenance should be consistent, but understand this 

is a special circumstance.  

You’re a good soul for doing this 💚

EA381935-2AE0-422A-93AF-3B4574160602.jpeg

Regular Contributor

Thank you all SO much!  This elderly lady is cared for by her husband in their home.  He doesn't cut nails regularly so I suspect when they get long they grow deeper into the finger.

I will soak hands when I am there next time.  Meanwhile, I will endeavor to find a medical nail tech in her area.  Life is challenging for the elderly bedridden.

Appreciate all of you, Seannie

Trusted Contributor

@Seannie You're talking about under the free edge/tip of the nail, correct? 

First, how wonderful of you to help your relative. Bottom line is that, much as you would like for her to have shorter nails, it simply isn't safe to be drawing blood. As others have indicated, this skin provides a barrier against infection, which can have very serious consequenes. Please trim and/or file her nails long enough that you're not reaching this area.

This is quite likely "normal" for her nails, thus nothing you can do to change it. If there is some abnomality, that needs to be evaluated by a medical professional (probably a dermatologist), with any treatment plan determined by them. Is she a close enough relative that you could suggest being allowed to go to her physician with her next ime she goes and briefly be included in a discussion regarding her spcific nail situation? Wouldn't need to be complex, just examination of her nails, then someone getting back to you with either "normal for her, leave it alone" or "here's what you dan do to hellp?"