Esteemed Contributor

People are all to quick to pass judgement and way to slow to actually help out.  Suggest you have an actual conversation and find out what is truly going on see how everyone can help.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

HIPAA applies to a patient’s health information from a medical record.

If older brother hasn’t seen a doctor or received medical treatment anywhere, there is no issue with the family about knowing his personal health issues and trying to help.   

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 I think you deserve the medal!!

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819.  Plaid Pants?  I've wondered and worried about you so often.  I had no idea you were going through such hell.  I'm so sorry your dad's last days were so sad and difficult for you.  I hope you're building a new life for yourself and things will be better.  Glad you're posting again.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

With HIPPA laws, I don’t know that you as the sister-in-law can do much.

I don’t know why you have to be the decision maker in this situation....your husband and his other brother should be talking to each other and deciding what is the best way they can help their brother.  Your job is to support what he decides.

That’s how I see it....others will have their own thoughts.

@alicedee.  If you saw a child being abused or not given proper care, would you turn your back thinking it was somebody else's responsibility?  An elderly person under the law, is the same as a child and his situation should be handled the same.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Anonymous032819.  Plaid Pants?  I've wondered and worried about you so often.  I had no idea you were going through such hell.  I'm so sorry your dad's last days were so sad and difficult for you.  I hope you're building a new life for yourself and things will be better.  Glad you're posting again.

I don't dwell on what happened, but I can't forgive what she did, but I can move forward.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I don't dwell on what happened, but I can't forgive what she did, but I can move forward.

So sorry you went through so much, and you lost your dad, i to have wondered about you.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

Just a final note...I posted this as an opinion poll to see what others thought. The daughter is very angry at her dad and will not do anything. The wife is not mentally intact and is oblivious to the situation.  

My dh and his brothers hers are going to involve social services. I am a mandated reporter so if they were not willing to do iy, I would 

thank you for your input.

Honored Contributor

@sydsgma1   I'm hope they're able to get him some help.  That's a hard situation to be in.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Elder abuse is grossly under reported. It is difficult to prove first of all. If a person is their own person you really can't do much. I am absolutely amazed by the number of people who do not have affairs in order--POA for healthcare, POA for finances, and a will are not that difficult to have prepared. Waiting until needed is too late. Not sure if people are in denial or just lazy. I also don't understand why so many people want someone else to blame, especially when their parent is involved.