Respected Contributor

Re: Elder neglect ???

[ Edited ]

@sydsgma1 

I would have the 2 brothers speak with the wife, then the daughter and if they find the the wife is overwhelmed, has dementia or in denial, and the daughter can't offer support or persuasion to her father, the 2 brothers should see the brother along with the daughter and insist that he get help.  He may be unaware of what is going on - they need to insist, just like if he were a child and incapable of making his own decisions.

If not going to a home where he can get the help he needs, then to bring some sort of care into the house to take care of him, if only a few hours a day.

It's a tough situation, but the two younger brothers need to take control of their older brother's well being and safety before it gets any worse.  

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but if I was the sibling in this situation, I would hope that my sister would do this for me, and I know I would do it for her or either of my parents regardless if one is stubborn or not, those are unhealthy living conditions.  I would  be willing to do whatever it takes to help my sibling and I hope others would do the same for me - especially since it sounds like they are not coherent enough to be bothered by these living conditions.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

It doesn't sound like neglect to me.  Based on what you say is gastrointestinal issures are it sounds like he has no bowel function,  he's not receiving any medical care because (as you said) he refuses.  He's ill, he's obstinate, he's clinically depressed, he's probably in pain.  His wife is shouldering this alone.  She's exhausted and hopeless.  Rather than adding to her burdens, why don't you try talking to the woman and find out what the situation really is.  You weren't even there so I don't see how you can have any sense of what's going on anyway.  

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

That's irrelevent

If he's in poor health & the wife can't handle him, he belongs in a facility, at least temporarily.

@tansy wrote:

Maybe the man won’t cooperate with his wife cleaning him up.  

Exactly.  He's old, he's ill, he's depressed, he's obstinate but she went right to "neglect" most likely because the wife is younger and the family never liked her.  Yet there they are,  a 3 hour drive away.  In no position to know anything about the situation or to help in any way.  If my husband came home and told me that story, I'd be MAD at HIM for not having a conversation about his brother with the brother's wife.  

Respected Contributor

With HIPPA laws, I don’t know that you as the sister-in-law can do much.

I don’t know why you have to be the decision maker in this situation....your husband and his other brother should be talking to each other and deciding what is the best way they can help their brother.  Your job is to support what he decides.

That’s how I see it....others will have their own thoughts.

Trusted Contributor

It’s hard for me to imagine two brothers driving 3 hours to go visit another brother and finding him in this condition. Was it treated as no big deal? Just pretend you don’t see the man before you sitting in his waste? I would have had to say something and ask what they need for help, then and there. 

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

Look up Department on Aging that serves his area. If you can't find it, make inquires through dept of health for referrals that will help both him and his wife.

I'd respect his privacy by not discussing his physical, mental, or emotional status with more family, since you are intervening and becoming an advocate for him right here.

Just a second thought...are you suggesting his wife is guilty of abuse?

From what you write I get the impression she's trapped and as much in need of help as he is.

I too would contact adult protective services in the state in which he lives.  They are accustomed to tactfully dealing with patients and caregivers.  It sounds as though both are not capable of making decisions regarding the man's health.   They may have to get him declared incompetent in order to save his life.   She may be incapable of caring for him.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Elder neglect ???

[ Edited ]

I can only speak from personal experience, but I am an only child, and I don't have a boyfriend, or husband, or kids, and my mother passed in 2000, so it was just me, and me alone trying to take care of my father, while working a full-time job.

I had NO help.

Not one single person from his family ever offered to come up and help me out, even for a day or two.

Last October I had to move stuff from my apartment, and also my dad's apartment in to our new home, while working an eight hour day, five days a week.

I rented the U-Haul, I took load after load after load of stuff in my car to the new place.

I posted for help on my FB page.

Not one single person from my dad's family responded.

It wasn't until my dad became combative, and I posted a video of that, did a cousin come up.

She'll be named "Witch" from hereon out.

Yes, the house wasn't "spotless", but gee, taking care of a 92 year old with stage 6 or 7 dementia while holding down a 40 hour a week job, all by yourself, isn't easy.

It's damm difficult.

She suggested that he go to the hospital to be evaluated, and I agreed.

Next thing I know, APS is knocking on my door, and I am being investigated for neglect!

I told the agent that the ONLY time I left my dad alone, was when I went to work, and as soon as I got off of work, I came straight home.

Yes, my cousin called APS on me, because she, who had never, ever even once bothered to come up and visit her uncle, the one that she loved, the one that helped to raise her, the one that was like a father-figure to her, because she didn't like how I was doing things.

I never heard back from APS.

Then, on top of that, when my dad was in the nursing home, she tried to threaten and blackmail me, because she wanted his Power of Attorney, so that she could make his medical decisions for him, because again, she didn't like the decisions that *I* was making, which was, if he becomes agitated, which he was becoming, (and he once even hit an aid at the nursing home, and she had to go to the hospital), I told them that it was okay to sedate him.

She said that if she didn't get the P.o.A. faxed to her by 5pm the next day, she was going to go to the authorities and have charges filed on me.

So, I took a blank piece of paper, and on it I wrote, "I, Anonymous, on x/xx/2019, do hereby give Witch power of attorney." and I signed it.

It was NOT witnessed.

It was NOT notarized.

It was as worthless as a piece of used toilet paper.

But I gave her what she wanted.

I next went to my dad's attorney, and told them what was going on.

The lawyer told me that I did NOT have P.o.A. in the first place, so I couldn't give it away.

His doctor would have to fill out and sign paperwork declaring him incompetent, before I could get P.o.A. and once I did have it, the only person that I could give it to, as stated in my dad's legal papers, was the Witch's brother. The Witch was NOT listed, or named anywhere in any of my dad's legal paperwork.

Plus, the Witch and her brother did not get along.

So, when I went down to see my dad in the nursing home, the resident director pulled me in to her office, and asked me what was going on with the P.o.A. 

I told her what my dad's lawyer told me, and I even gave her the lawyer's business card.

I guess she told my cousin, the Witch, because I never heard from her after that.

For all I know, Witch called my dad's attorney, who told her that I couldn't give her the P.o.A.

In fact, she couldn't even be bothered to show up for my dad's memorial service.

Nobody from my dad's family showed up for his service.

Oh, the Witch also hated the fact that my dad's nursing home was so far away from where she lived in Fallon, NV.

Dad's nursing home was in the San Francisco Bay Area.

She even tried to get him moved to a nursing home in Fallon, NV.

This nursing home was the first place that would take him.

My point to this whole long story, (and every word of it is 100% true. I wish that I was making it up) is that unless one step up to the plate, and offers to help the primary caregiver, that person has no say in how they are taking care of the ill/infermed/the elderly person.

No one wants to help out, but boy oh boy, do they ever love to criticize how the primary caregiver is doing things, and they circle like vultures when they think that there might be money in it for them.

Speaking of which, this same "dear" cousin of mine, even suggested to me, that in order for my dad to qualify for assistance, that I drain his bank account, by writing her checks on his account (I'm on his checking/saving account) to her, and she would hold the $, and after he passed, she would give it all back to me.

I.

Kid.

You.

Not.

I swear to G-d that is absolutely 100% true.

This whole fiasco with this particular cousin, and what she did, is still a (very) sore spot with me.

Witch hated the fact that *I* was in charge and she wasn't.

She hated the fact that *I* was calling the shots and she wasn't.

She hated the fact that I was standing up to her, and was fighting her.

She probably thought that I would just cower, and cave in, and give in to her.

She probably didn't expect me to go to my dad's attorney.

The Navy was her career, and she retired as Chief, so she was used to giving orders, and having them followed, no questions asked.

She forgot, I'm not military.

She wasn't my C.O.

I didn't have to take orders from her.

And she didn't like the fact that I wasn't following her orders.

Too bad.

Even though my dad was in a nursing home, I was still looking out for him.

So, yeah, I no longer talk to his side of the family.

They showed me who they were, and I believed them.

Anyway, sorry that this is so long.

If you made it this far, you deserve a medal. 

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

I feel sorry for the OP. I think she is between a rock and a hard place. She is worried and is getting no help from the people who should be taking this on

She knows something is wrong, and isn't sure what to do about it. I think his daughter should become involved, unless they are estranged

Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819  Just wanted to give you a big cyber hug.  I’m sure your Dad looks down on you with love, gratitude and pride.

Esteemed Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

@Anonymous032819  Just wanted to give you a big cyber hug.  I’m sure your Dad looks down on you with love, gratitude and pride.

@alicedee 

Thank-you!Woman Happy

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.