Honored Contributor

@sydsgma1 wrote:

Just a final note...I posted this as an opinion poll to see what others thought. The daughter is very angry at her dad and will not do anything. The wife is not mentally intact and is oblivious to the situation.  

My dh and his brothers hers are going to involve social services. I am a mandated reporter so if they were not willing to do iy, I would 

thank you for your input.

Mandated reporter ???????   So that means YOU are your brother in law's physican, nurse, psychiatrist or other healthcare provider.  Or  perhaps you are your brother in law's teacher.  So, since you are professional involved with your borther in law in one of these positions, then you shouldn't have a problem.  YOU indeed are required by law to report  the suspected abuse or neglect that you have observed as a result of your professional relationship with him.     

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Elder neglect ???

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

@sydsgma1 wrote:

Just a final note...I posted this as an opinion poll to see what others thought. The daughter is very angry at her dad and will not do anything. The wife is not mentally intact and is oblivious to the situation.  

My dh and his brothers hers are going to involve social services. I am a mandated reporter so if they were not willing to do iy, I would 

thank you for your input.

Mandated reporter ???????   So that means YOU are your brother in law's physican, nurse, psychiatrist or other healthcare provider.  Or  perhaps you are your brother in law's teacher.  So, since you are professional involved with your borther in law in one of these positions, then you shouldn't have a problem.  YOU indeed are required by law to report  the suspected abuse or neglect that you have observed as a result of your professional relationship with him.     

@chrystaltree- The category of Mandated Reporter have been greatly broaden from the ones you named.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree  I am not going to state why I am a mandated reporter...and it will be taken care of. 

Honored Contributor

I hope for your bil sake , help is on the way,i have never heard of mandated reporter before,that term.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I hope for your bil sake , help is on the way,i have never heard of mandated reporter before,that term.

@goldensrbest 

That makes 2 of us. Never heard that term and have no clue what it even means. Maybe someone will clue us in!

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I hope I’m not the only one who feels family taking care of family is a higher priority than a job that has a mandated rule to report any situation of abuse.   

Honored Contributor

It sounds like she is the inlaw, trying to do her best in a family that is sort of dysfunctional ,as far as taking care of one another.. I think she is blameless  ,and just trying to make sure things go as they are supposed to

The important thing is help is forthcoming...I don't envy her her job at all. I think it is going to be difficult, because ,it sounds like communication in this family isn't very good

Esteemed Contributor

Mandated reporters include:

Mandated reporters are:

Physicians

Physician assistants

Nurses

Medical interns

Coroners

Dentists

Podiatrists

Osteopaths

Social workers

Occupational therapists

Physical therapists

Psychologists

Family counselors

Police

Probation officers

EMTs

Firefighters

Director of a home health aide agency

Homemaker agency

Assisted living residence

Case managers

Health Aides

Homemakers 

Council on aging directors

Outreach workers

This is for the state of Massachusetts.

Other states may vary.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 why would she even think she should have been the one to oversee your fathers affairs.  People are just nuts.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@alicedee wrote:

With HIPPA laws, I don’t know that you as the sister-in-law can do much.

I don’t know why you have to be the decision maker in this situation....your husband and his other brother should be talking to each other and deciding what is the best way they can help their brother.  Your job is to support what he decides.

That’s how I see it....others will have their own thoughts.

@alicedee.  If you saw a child being abused or not given proper care, would you turn your back thinking it was somebody else's responsibility?  An elderly person under the law, is the same as a child and his situation should be handled the same.

That is a rather rude and tactless question to ask me.  

I’m saying it is her husband and his brother’s responsibility to look further into it.  What’s going to happen if SHE becomes one who needs care in the future and her husband doesn’t take action...because he is helpless or just from a “reticent family” as described by the OP.

If her husband tells her he is not going to do anything, she should pick up the phone and talk to her sister-in-law and find out what is going on.  But her husband needs to be prodded to step up to the plate.  He is not a baby....he needs to man up.