Valued Contributor

Re: Effective Arthritis Pain Relievers

I've been using Andrew Lessman's Glucosamine Chondrotin for quite a while and added Turmeric and Marine Collagen about 4 months ago when my fingers started bothering me, burning sensation and my knuckles turned red.  It took about 2 months for the pain and redness to disappear and now I'm not having any issues. This may be putting off the inevitable (my father had severe RA) but I'll keep doing this until it stops working 

Honored Contributor

Was the article pulled?  I get a 'page not found' on that site when I click on the link.  

Anyway, I'm interested in reading about this stuff.   As the link states, acetaminophen definitely does not help - at least it didn't for me.  I get some relief from Ibuprofen but I have to take quite a bit so I try to not do that very often.

I need to try more natural remedies.   I do have salmon oil but have to admit that I am horrible at taking my vitamins.  I absolutely abhor taking vitamins and sometimes, especially the large capsules, they get stuck in my throat or when they get down to my esophagus and cause great discomfort and pain.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624@chickenbutt@catmama@NickNack@Jacie

i have taken Voltaren for 30 years. (OA and Migraines) GI problems have ensued possibly due to this med.

Tumeric works WONDERS.(have not gotten MD approval yet)

Fish oil makes a huge difference for me also.

I use so many supplements, but the ones I have found work gently and consistently are the RAW supplements. HTH

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I've seen several discussions on effective pain relievers for arthritis.  Here are the results of a new study which was published in yesterday's LA Times and Health Magazine.  If the link doesn't work, cut and paste it.

http://news.health.com/2016/03/17/acetaminophen-wont-help-arthritis-pain-study-finds

@Kachina624  The link doesn't work for me.  It says page not found.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nicknack wrote:

@Pook  What is noni juice?  I finally quit taking glucosamine/chondroitin because it wasn't working.  I just started taking turmeric and hope it helps.  I'd be interested in trying the noni juice.

Noni is a fruit and the juice is used to treat many things and is antiinflamatory.  I get organice noni juice at a local wellness store.  It's not real tasty (not horrible though) but I mixed a shot in black cherry juice (2 Talblespoons in about 5 oz or water) and drank it daily.  You can put it in any drink. One caution is to probably not take it if you are taking meds for high blood pressure as it could cause too high levels of potassium and the noni juice I get states this.  It won't work right away but stick with it for a few months.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nicknack wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I've seen several discussions on effective pain relievers for arthritis.  Here are the results of a new study which was published in yesterday's LA Times and Health Magazine.  If the link doesn't work, cut and paste it.

http://news.health.com/2016/03/17/acetaminophen-wont-help-arthritis-pain-study-finds

@Kachina624  The link doesn't work for me.  It says page not found.

@NickNack  Apparently that article had an expiration date, however if you put "arthritis pain relievers" in the search bar on that website, you'll get several good articles on the subject.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Acetaminophen works great for me.  I have arthritis that acts up in the morning. I take tylanol some 30 minutes before i need to get out of bed  and works good.  I also take MSM which heps with flexability and pain.  What is even better is Il take an aleve pill  before bed  I try to rotate  my pain meds but for some reason  acetamenophen  works best.  MSM is pretty good. if I take it daily I almost need no pain meds at all

Esteemed Contributor

lovestoteach...I am using Voltaren for my arthritic knees and it does help.  I have a nephew who is a doctor and when he heard his mother was using it he told her to stop immediately because of the side effects. 

I am surprised you have been using it for thirty years, didn't you build up a tolerance where it wasn't helping as much and perhaps not at all?

I read about Tumeric and now that you said it works wonders I am going to try it asap.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam