Super Contributor

I have an appt to have this done.  Not worried about how the test is done; easy procedure.  It's just worrisome to me.  Hate being alone when I have this kind of thing done.  I wonder if they tell you right away if something is wrong, or if they just perform the test and send it to the doctor.  Guess I'll find out more when it's over.

Trusted Contributor

@bcherry01 I get one every other year and am not told the results right away.  My doctor reviews it and then his nurse calls me with the results, usually the day or maybe two days after the test.

Valued Contributor

I had an echocardiogram two months ago---my internist suddenly heard  something that didn't sound right when he listened to my heart( a murmur)--never happened before--and I felt fine. Lungs were clear.

The procedure took a couple of hours. The technician did not tell me the results--had to get in touch with my doctor. In the end, know what was wrong? NOTHING!!!!! Heart and valves looked fine!!

My doctor told me this happens a lot---even happened to him--he has a heart murmur and a normal echocardiogram. Nothing to worry about---I was up nights being so worried---all for nothing, thank goodness! These things happen as we age.

Honored Contributor

I get an echo done every year. The tech never says anything about what is being seen. The results go to my cardiologist and then I get a letter in the mail with the results. 

Honored Contributor

I am going in tomorrow for an echo and a nuclear stress test---both I have had before so no big deal---you won't be alone--the tech will be there--- or do you mean somone waiting for you---no I get the results from my dr a few days later.

Honored Contributor

Re: Echo of My Heart

[ Edited ]

@bcherry01 wrote:

I have an appt to have this done.  Not worried about how the test is done; easy procedure.  It's just worrisome to me.  Hate being alone when I have this kind of thing done.  I wonder if they tell you right away if something is wrong, or if they just perform the test and send it to the doctor.  Guess I'll find out more when it's over.

@bcherry01 

Since I have had 2 heart attacks, and even prior to them, I have had many Echocardiograms over many years. 

My experiences after the procedures depended on the primary reason they were performed. Most of mine I was given the results right away by my Cardiologist, a few were given to me later in the day.

If done during an ER visit, it was always right after. Depending on the results, I was either admitted to the hospital, as soon as a room was available, or told to see my PCP or Cardiologist soon after.

I found out way back in the 1980's I had "PVC". Mine were determined to be pretty common and not an issue. I knew, and still know, exactly when this happens.

When my Heart Rate reaches 120bpm, it is like an "automatic", both pre and post my 2 heart attacks. Since I have been athletic all my adult life, 120bpm is common for me almost every day. When ice skating, that HR lets me know my body and blood temperature, is where I want it to start my stretches.

After my 2nd heart attack the Echo showed I was in 

Congestive Heart Failure(CHF), and I was put on a program designed for patients suffering from this. After 4 months of that, along with extra hard exercising, I was no longer in CHF.

Those are just some of my many experiences with an Echo and many Ultrasounds of my heart/lungs/kidneys, just to name a few.

Be sure to ask and let your doctors know you want your results ASAP, it never hurts. Wishing you well,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Gracies Mom 

It took 2 hours? I have had both clear and contrasting Echo's. Neither has taken, at most,15 minutes. The contrast was used after my many Maximal Treadmill Testing Procedures.

Heart health is not always related to age. My 1st Exercising EKG was done in the 1970's, and I was in my 30's. That is when I found out about my PVC heart issue.

In my 72 Cardiac Rehab Classes, I met 1 girl(lady) that was 26, and she had at that time, already had 3 heart attacks. I met a semi-pro basketball player, 32, that had Open Heart Surgery(2 Arteries), found before he had a Myocardial Infarction. He was lucky as his heart is still 100%.

My mother had an enlarged heart all of her adult life. It started when she had Rheumatic Fever when she was a child. Her CAD was passed on to my 3 older sisters and myself.

My first Echocardiogram I found out I had/and still have, a slight leak in 1 of my heart valves. This had nothing to do with my 2 Myocardial Infarctions. 

Heart Murmurs are pretty common, as are PVC's. There are however varying degrees of both, and they can be a serious issue, and age can be irrelevant.

Glad your Echo showed nothing, the majority of them show some disorder, some not too serious, others?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Had my echo done yesterday in 1/2 hour--the stress test right after and that took probably 1 1/2 hours----no results yet--

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

Had my echo done yesterday in 1/2 hour--the stress test right after and that took probably 1 1/2 hours----no results yet--

@wagirl 

Did they tell you the name of the Protocol of your Stress Test, and was it via a Treadmill? If so, did they do a Contrasting  Echo right after? Just curious, if you care to answer.

When I took my Maximal Treadmill Stress Tests they always placed an IV in my arm. They did a regular clear Echo before the Treadmill, on a bed right next to the treadmill.  

They used a Modified Bruce and or Modified Balke Protocol for most of them. The others they used their own Sports Med Maximal Protocol. 

With this they told me to signal them when I could still go a full minute. At that point, they injected the contrast and I continued(barely)that last minute.

I had to practically dive onto the bed so they could do the Echo before my Heart Rate dropped very much. The purpose was to compare pre-exercise resting Heart Rate Echo, to post-exercise Max Heart Rate Echo, where many things could be found, not seen in a Resting Echo.

During my 8 days in ICU after Heart Attack #1, with Aspiration Pneumonia, they did an Echo about every day. They also did regular Ultrasounds of my lungs to follow the damage from the Pneumonia.

I hope everything from your Echo turns out for the best. I would appreciate you adding an update here after you get your results when you see your doctor.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

I had one done last year. The appointment was just for this so i got my results a few days later. Everything was okay but when I saw my regular doctor she told me I have a lot of arthritis in my neck. She said the Echo picked it up. Didn´t know that was possible. I had 2 Cervical Spine Fusions years ago and sometimes get a little pain and cramp in my neck but never thought of arthritis.