Honored Contributor

Re: Eating More Unprocessed Foods

@sidsmom wrote:

@Sooner would probably have a better idea for accessories, etc. 

The only accessory I use is one of those metal 'flower' steamers

(w/ a missing 'petal', no less🙃) for my steamed veg but a

silicone steamer basket would be my 1st choice.  

I never heard of putting beans inside the basket then in the water...

makes sense...for safety.

Mitts...I tried using those 'clam-shell' small mitts, but it felt weird,

so I go old-school & use a dish towel.  @Sooner  any ideas for mitts?

i use oven gloves but they are not too thick 

Honored Contributor

@butterfly123 wrote:

@1Professor @jackthebear 

I agree with searching Pinterest, blogs and IP groups.

also if you are on Instagram . check there

there was an Instant Pot Facebook group but I left it a few years ago as it was way too big, with the usual FAQ being asked every day or hours 

also wash the silicone seal in the diswasher after each use so it doesn't pick up smells 

and check youtube on how to clean out the valve,  

Respected Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@1Professor wrote:

@lolakimono @Beauty$Junkie @butterfly123 @jackthebear @QueenDanceALot & all

Deep appreciation, here, to @lolakimono {who always finds me the best denim fashions!}, for raising this.

I stumbled into the Wellness forum as part of my 2020 commitment to healthier eating. Fabulous threads, all!

Found the DUO60 7-in-1 which is plenty for me, mostly cooking for 1. Before ordering it, can anyone suggest the best cookbooks?

In addition, I don't eat fish or meat and am wondering will there be just as much use for plant-based heart-healthy folks?

have mentioned before that I didn't invest in any cookbooks,  just take a look for pressure cooker website  and there are many,  as well as blogs and pinterest postings . this takes you to pinterest and pages of stuff

hopefully to mods won't remove it 

https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?rs=ac&len=2&q=instant%20pot%20recipes&eq=instant&etslf=7137&t...

@jackthebear   How utterly USEFUL!

Thanks.

My InstantPot is on its way!

Just cleaning out the kitchen counter tops, decluttered, to make happy room.

Honored Contributor

@1Professor 

I don't have any IP cookbooks but have found lots of recipes online.  Easy to find.  Just google Instant Pot (whatever thing you would like to cook - beans, rice, etc. - you can be as specific or general as you like and many links to recipes will come up.

I also have cooked strictly vegan (or plant based) in my Instant Pot so far.  No problem at all finding many options to make!

Respected Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@1Professor 

I don't have any IP cookbooks but have found lots of recipes online.  Easy to find.  Just google Instant Pot (whatever thing you would like to cook - beans, rice, etc. - you can be as specific or general as you like and many links to recipes will come up.

I also have cooked strictly vegan (or plant based) in my Instant Pot so far.  No problem at all finding many options to make!

@QueenDanceALot 

Thanks so much!

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Still Raining wrote:

@Sooner 

Where have you been all my life???  Everyone else just rolls their eyes.

I admit to spending a lot for two sizes of these rice cookers, but they cook so many things, then stay warm and keep the kitchen cool.  Just throw in what ever you want.

Ladies, DO NOT be fooled with cheap ones, go for the best.

@Still Raining Ha ha!  We are confirmed Zojirushi users!  We have had three rice cookers (one is REALLY old--a white Neuro Fuzzy--whatever that is--and still works, and two newer ones).  They make great rice cookers and they get a lot of use at our house!  And just mostly for rice too!  

We have two Zo bread machines (big one and smaller one) that we also use ALL the time!  

I just talked to someone at Zo about making a yogurt maker too!  The guy said that is a super idea because they already make water heaters, and thermoses, and I said "Yeah, you have all the parts!"  So he is passing along that idea.  I make a lot of yogurt.

I sound like an old hippie but I am not. . . LOL!!!

I think my daughter has the version that makes yogurt,

I went thru a make your own phase but I only eat plain so it proved not to be really that much better.   

Honored Contributor

I make black beans with other ingredients including green pepper. Would I be able to go this in an Instapot? It usually takes a long time for me to make them. I soak them over night and dump the soaking weather. I add new water before I cook them. One more question. Is the Instapot lined with some kind of non stick surface?
Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:
I make black beans with other ingredients including green pepper. Would I be able to go this in an Instapot? It usually takes a long time for me to make them. I soak them over night and dump the soaking weather. I add new water before I cook them. One more question. Is the Instapot lined with some kind of non stick surface?

@Mindy D 

Yes, and the cooking time will be drastically reduced!

The inner pot is not non-stick, but they sell add ons, like a cake pan insert, which are non-stick.  Beans will probably be my weekend cooking project, but I'll start with Great Northern.

Honored Contributor

An update, for those who have been following the thread.

So far, I have made the following:

• Great Northern beans (from scratch), to use in soup
  • kidney beans (from scratch) to use in chili
  • two batches of rice
  • chicken broth
  • bone broth
  • vegetable broth
  • chicken/lentil soup
  • gluten free lasagna using uncooked noodles
  • scalloped potatoes

The rice and beans so far have been very easy, and I think that the beans have been easier to digest than canned beans.

My next venture might be mashed potatoes.  

Respected Contributor

I don't eat a lot of rice, but I do like quinoa made in my Instant Pot:

1 part quinoa (well rinsed to get rid of the bitter taste)

1 part water

cook 1 minute at high pressure & let the IP do a natural pressure release.  Easy Peasy!