Respected Contributor

Eating Disorder/older person

I suspect my 65 yo friend has developed an eating disorder. I'm not sure how to or if I should address my concern.

About a year ago she had a heart attack.She recovered well from the surgery. She is now on statins, HBP meds, anticoagulants as well as low sodium/low carb diet. In one year she has lost 50 lbs from a size 12 to a size 4. 

She even verbalized that she was afraid to eat anything. Doc said yes that does happen. She is elated that she gets so many compliments about her weight loss. She has let her hair grow long and gone blonde. She tells me how many FB friends say she looks younger. Maybe I'm over worrying about this?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Eating Disorder/older person

I am sure she is grateful to be alive and may be looking at this as a new chapter in her life...but she will have to eat eventually. If her dr says it is normal to be afraid to eat again, then I wouldn't worry about it unless she begins to look frail.

Esteemed Contributor

@granddi 

Knowing many personally that have had heart attacks, including myself having 2. I also met probably 200 people during my going to 3 month Cardiac Rehab Classes, in 2 different years. A total of 72 sessions over a 6 month period.

I saw and talked with many that lost 30lbs or more over those 3 months. There were also some that actually gained weight over that time. Attended countless classes given by Nutritionists and Dietitians and never heard any of them say to "eat nothing". Where your friend got this notion, I have no idea.

Losing 50lbs in a year, without knowing her starting weight, doesn't tell anyone much. It isn't uncommon for a heavy person to lose 2.5lbs a week, which equals 10 pounds a month, which equals 120lbs lost in a year.

Do you actually know what she eats or how much? Unless you live with her I don't see where that would be possible. While I can kinda understand your concern, unless asked, i would leave this alone.

I have lost as much as 30lbs between hockey season and my running races seasons. The most common comment to me from many I know, but do not see on a regular basis? "John, have you been sick"? No, I actually am as healthy, but more physically fit for running distance races, quite the contrary.

Unless you know the exact details, no way I would address it as "an eating disorder".

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@granddi wrote:

I suspect my 65 yo friend has developed an eating disorder. I'm not sure how to or if I should address my concern.

About a year ago she had a heart attack.She recovered well from the surgery. She is now on statins, HBP meds, anticoagulants as well as low sodium/low carb diet. In one year she has lost 50 lbs from a size 12 to a size 4. 

She even verbalized that she was afraid to eat anything. Doc said yes that does happen. She is elated that she gets so many compliments about her weight loss. She has let her hair grow long and gone blonde. She tells me how many FB friends say she looks younger. Maybe I'm over worrying about this?

Umm trust me, it surely doesn't sound like she has any type of eating disorder. She sounds like she has turned her life around and want's to be around for a while. Just because someoe has a life altering episode happen to them and they lose weight, change the color of their hair, become healthier and now people think she has an eating disorder? Be happy for your friend.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@granddi 

That's good that you are concerned about your friend!  She has experienced a severe and serious health issue.  Perhaps, since she has recovered from this, she has seen this as a wakeup call and realizes that she has to make a change and seriously change her way of eating and living!  And in doing so, her appearance has changed and she is feeling and looking better than she has in a long time and is rather afraid to do anything to jeopardize this!  

Do you two go out to lunch or dinner together?  I say this because if so, you could see what and how she is eating.  Without be accusatory, try and discuss with her what she likes to eat and how she prepares things.  If you see or it looks as though she really does have a problem, then tell her you are worried about her.  Is she married, have children?  This would also be something which they should be taking note of and addressing.  It could be that there is no problem at all.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@granddi   Having a life changing moment as your friend did with her heart issue...changes EVERYTHING.  You are not looking at life through the same glasses....and I imagine your friend is having that kind of moment in her life. If she is healthy...and feels good about herself, I would not say anything. Just be there for her...she will appreciate that.♥️

Esteemed Contributor

A low carb diet would aid in weight loss.  Sounds like the friend is doing what she needs to keep her heart healthy.

Respected Contributor

@granddi I would encourage your friend to talk to her doctor and nutritionist if she brings up being afraid to eat to you again.   Going from a 12 to a 4 isn't necessarily bad depending on her health status.  But if she is concerned because she is afraid to eat, I would offer a suggestion to discuss with her health professionals.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Super Contributor

@granddi wrote:

It's the low carbs.  You can definitely drop 50 pounds if you are overweight and eat keto/low carbs.  And still eat very well.

Honored Contributor

Depends on how much she weighed before she had the heart attack.

Believe me, wearing a size 4 is not the skinny pick of person you may think it is.